Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
what's up with you today? The Delawarei s far from Ugly! At least not up in northwestern NJ. Did someone pee in your cornflakes this morning?
delaware river is more like a creek or stream there but where it's an actual river, it's ugly and scary with little exception, if u could drive maybe u would know that! I had crunchy flakes with apple juice, good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
delaware river is more like a creek or stream there but where it's an actual river, it's ugly and scary with little exception, if u could drive maybe u would know that! I had crunchy flakes with apple juice, good
If I could drive?

Last edited by wileynj; 02-20-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
If I could drive? ok...my bad - your just a miserable little bastid!
my bad, bad joke

Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
stay near Philly part of south jersey and you will be ok. Lots of jobs there.. North jersey is out if you want to buy a house for $250k. If you want to be near the ocean look towards Dennisville, Seaview, Dennis and the beautiful area called Cape may courthouse.. but it wil be harder to find a job there due to the relivive rural area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
Yes, South Jersey is a very hard place to find decent jobs. I'm in IT and will always have to go North for a job.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
wow. A creek that moved full sized freighters and at the widest is 1/2 mile wide..

The Delaware is a beautiful river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wow. A creek that moved full sized freighters and at the widest is 1/2 mile wide..

The Delaware is a beautiful river.
It sure is

Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM

20 posts, read 38,035 times
Sorry, Delaware river is pretty. You lose . Okay, so North Jersey is bad? That sucks. My grandmas live in New York City. I guess no weekend visits. So are there dog beaches in Jersey? We definitely want to be near water. We don't mind buying a fixer-upper. That is what we did before. We just need my guy to be able to get into a busy station. Apparently, the only way to go up the ladder is to be in a busy station. I sense a conflict of interest.... lol. I want my guy to come home safe, but that means no promotions for selfless brave acts of heroism. Sighs. So we need someplace busy, I suppose but quiet with lots of fun stuff, farmer's markets, artsy things, and dog stuff to do.

Last edited by nikgrr12; 02-21-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
Sorry, Delaware river is pretty. You lose . Okay, so North Jersey is bad? That sucks. My grandmas live in New York City. I guess no weekend visits. So are there dog beaches in Jersey? We definitely want to be near water. We don't mind buying a fixer-upper. That is what we did before. We just need my guy to be able to get into a busy station. Apparently, the only way to go up the ladder is to be in a busy station. I sense a conflict of interest.... lol. I want my guy to come home safe, but that means no promotions for selfless brave acts of heroism. Sighs. So we need someplace busy, I suppose but quiet with lots of fun stuff, farmer's markets, artsy things, and dog stuff to do.
North Jersey isn't bad, it's just more expensive.

I'm assuming that your husband is a cop or fireman. These can be tough jobs to get. Especially firemen. NJ has a lot of volunteer depts. as opposed to paid ones so it used to be that the waiting lists were very long for a paid position. I don't think that's changed much. I'm not sure about Police. As I mentioned before, Toms River & Brick NJ are minutes from the beach and both have more than 75K residents so they are large cities but they do not feel like cities. There are many little shore towns and the housing can be affordable because their isn't a lot of business and industry in the shore area. I'm not sure of any dog beaches where the dogs are allowed off leash. I know that Island Beach State park allows on-leash.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 38,035 times
He is a firefighter. Okay. What's the weather like? Just warm summers cold winters? Good place to have kids?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 PM

226 posts, read 860,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
I posted in Hawaii that I am looking for an exciting place to live that is dog friendly, located near water and has farmer's markets and independent coffee shops. They said to check out South New Jersey. So I'm checking it out! We are a couple starting out. We want to buy a house that has a nice yard, brick home wood floors. We need something from 150,000-250,000 price range. We don't mind fixing up homes. We just need a home that suits us. Anyone? What place in South New Jersey is like this?
As far as I know, all of jersey has leash laws unless you are in a dog park. That being said...I walk my two dogs everyday, off leash. I just take them places where we won't bump into too many people, and I have them well trained so that if we do see someone, I call, they come running.
I've lived in both Hawaii and NJ (currently NJ but I am from neither) and there's pros and cons to both. Both places are expensive (Hawaii more so), for the amount you quoted you're not going to find much in Hawaii...maybe a yurt on the big island. Hawaii is probably more relaxed about dogs but the schools there aren't great. Schools in NJ vary GREATLY from area to area so that is something you need to research. South Jersey dosen't have as good a reputation as say central jersey, BUT one thing to seriously take into account where schools are concerned....a blue ribbon does not make a perfect school for you, so there's more to it that test results.
Monmouth county schools have got a good reputation as far as I know....Manasquan has a dog beach, pretty cool town, but pricey. Sandy hook has a dog beach but I don't know anything about the cost or schools.

The weather....Hawaii...warm/hot all year, rainy often (depending on where you are) especially from Nov to feb, humid all year.

NJ...4 seasons... Cool to warm spring, hot, humid summer, warm to cool autumn, cold winter (obviously south and near the sea not quite as cold in winter).

Hope this all makes sense...been at the Chardonnay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey