Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM

14 posts, read 47,095 times

Advertisements

My husband and I saw a few homes in Ramsey today that we liked. Does anyone know if there is a Jewish population there? I know somewhere like Woodcliff Lake would have a larger community from what I've heard, but if anyone has any info on Ramsey, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceye View Post
My husband and I saw a few homes in Ramsey today that we liked. Does anyone know if there is a Jewish population there? I know somewhere like Woodcliff Lake would have a larger community from what I've heard, but if anyone has any info on Ramsey, that would be great.
Ramsey doesn't have a big Jewish population. In your area Fair Lawn has the largest Jewish population, although Fair Lawn is not as upscale as Ramsey.

See this http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...special-2.html

Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Ramsey doesn't have a big Jewish population. In your area Fair Lawn has the largest Jewish population, although Fair Lawn is not as upscale as Ramsey.

See this http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...special-2.html
I should add that Ramsey is a nicer town.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,111 times
Does anyone know if Ramsey requires a CO?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 AM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keldales83 View Post
Does anyone know if Ramsey requires a CO?
Do you mean a CO in order to sell the house? All towns require a CO inspection of some sort. The minimum is for smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors, and a fire extingisher near the kitchen. Other towns will check things such as street sidewalks, handrails, GFCI outlets, etc. Some towns will check for permits for obvious renovations, additions, etc. I would call the Ramsey building dept.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,845 times
We are also considering moving to Ramsey..the town we currently live in has zero diveristy...I am jewish, my husband is not but our kids are and we are looking to live in a town with some jewish population. I am shocked to see the responses that there is very little in Ramsey. Can anyone please help me out alittle. Is there "some" jewish population? Is there a temple in Ramsey? Do they do things in schools for Chanukah or other holidays? Is there a town Menorah lighting? Thanks so much. Everything is greatly appreciated. I love the town so very much.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
If I'm not mistaken, Livington is an upscale town with a strong Jewish influence

Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
I think Fair Lawn is said to have a high Jewish population. *doublechecks Wiki* Yes, a high Russian Jewish population.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:03 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Ramsey itself doesn't have much of a Jewish population, and I'm fairly certain the town doesn't do anything like a menorah lighting. However, towns are small here, so you could easily join a temple or groups in neighboring towns.

If you want a town with a LARGE Jewish population, there are really only two towns that fit the bill in Bergen County: Fair Lawn and Teaneck. Fair Lawn's Jewish population as a whole tends to be more secular than Teaneck's, which has a sizable Orthodox population. Both towns are nice, with good schools (Fair Lawn's schools are better than Teaneck's), but not quite "upscale" as a whole (although each town has its upscale parts for sure).

If you're set on an upscale town, Glen Rock and Ridgewood have larger Jewish populations than most of the other affluent suburbs in the area. Glen Rock has a Jewish Center and I'm pretty sure Ridgewood has a few temples in town.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 AM

27 posts, read 77,420 times
Note about Teaneck - it is very diverse. Yes it has a large Jewish population but the walk to temple on sat morning will bring you past many black neighbors playing outside. Everyone seems to get along really well - but just beware - don't want you to be surprised.

If you do go with Ramsey, there isn't a large Jewish population - but it's a short trip to Monsey, NY which is a town of black hat hasidics - talk about exposure for the kids! In Passaic County you also have Wayne which has a large jewish population and at least 2 temples that I can think of. (Shomrei Torah, and Beth Tikvah) Your kids could carpool to Hebrew school pretty easily.

Completely none of my buisness but (from a man's perspective) - note that most of the towns with higher percentages of jewish residents also tend to be very expensive on the houses and taxes. You mentioned that your husband isn't Jewish, so while I applaud you for making things work, I would caution you that his patience may wear thin if it comes to paying much more to live in a town simply because it has a higher Jewish population than a neighboring town which does not. If you're so Jewish that you want to pay more to live in the same town as like minded people why aren't you married to one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey