Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times

Advertisements

I understand that Passaic has a large and growing Jewish community. I believe it is in Passaic Park. Does anyone know where the "main street" of the Jewish community in Passaic is? (you know where you could find the Jewish shops, eateries and the people in)? I want to take pictures of that area and feel this is a very interesting topic to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I understand that Passaic has a large and growing Jewish community. I believe it is in Passaic Park. Does anyone know where the "main street" of the Jewish community in Passaic is? (you know where you could find the Jewish shops, eateries and the people in)? I want to take pictures of that area and feel this is a very interesting topic to cover.
There are still a few jewish shops between Brooks Ave and Paulison Ave, but most are concentrated in the Valley National Bank area (I can't remember the name of the cross street but I know is Main & something). Back in the day there were a lot more but they're dwindling down.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Main Ave., all the way down pass Van Houton Ave; There are a lot of Jewish shops there.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
There are still a few jewish shops between Brooks Ave and Paulison Ave, but most are concentrated in the Valley National Bank area (I can't remember the name of the cross street but I know is Main & something). Back in the day there were a lot more but they're dwindling down.
Is that so? I was reading something that says the exact opposite. From what I've read the Jewish community is starting to revive around there. It seems that many Jews from NYC are settling there and calling it their home. But I"m not from the area so I wouldn't know. I could be wrong.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,280 times
Quote:
Is that so? I was reading something that says the exact opposite. From what I've read the Jewish community is starting to revive around there. It seems that many Jews from NYC are settling there and calling it their home. But I"m not from the area so I wouldn't know. I could be wrong.
Well, compared to back in the 80's I don't think there are as many, however I could be wrong as well, because altough I'm originally from Passaic Park (Brooks Ave) It's been a while since I actually shopped around there.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,369 times
Default Thriving Jeish Community in Passaic

The Orthodox community has become one of the major ones in the North East USA. While it can trace some roots to the 'old' downtown community, it has moved and morphed, and even survived a period (1970s) of severe dwindling.

It has gone from a few hundred families in 1990s to a few thousand. The Jewish day schools have thousands of students. There is a highly regarded yeshiva, three boys high schools (mesivtas) and girls high school. The Yeshiva Ktana of Passaic is one of the largest private schools in New Jersey, second only to the one in Lakewood (also an Orthodox Jewish School). The community is concentrated in the 3rd Ward of Passaic, and is expanding West into Clifton.

There are now maybe 20 Orthodox congregations, inlcuding a few like Adas Israel and Tiferes Israel that can trace back to the 'Downtown' Passaic area of decades ago, some like Young Israel that are from maybe the 60s, and many founded in the more recent decades.

As for the specific question of where are the Jewish shops... There is nothing at all in the original Main street, Downtown area, except maybe a vendor of or two not specifically of Jewish trade, but Jewish owned. Even the Jewish Funeral hall is now on Alwood road in Clifton. Also interesting, (actually in Clifton) the JCC closed, though some of the community services continue without that venue.

There are several book stores, restaurants, and a few other stores servicing the needs of the community - mostly on Main Avenue near the cross street Van Houten Ave. This is known as 3rd Ward, or Passaic Park. Some are on Brook Avenue.

If you are doing a story and focus on the shops, you are really missing the point of what is going on in the Jewish Community. The growth of the Torah oriented, learning/ professional Jewish community is the big news. It ha been featured in HaModia, Mishpacha magazine and other Jewish Pulbications. Passaic/Clifton is now considered one of the hallmark Orthodox communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: