Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

all the dam channels go..I mean just about every station in the 40's some in the 30's like TV land I get a message I have to get a digital converter box...

If they are no longer part of my package unless I rent that box, card & remote why aren't the rates going down

I am so livid and I can't get through to them on the phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 AM

231 posts, read 587,191 times
I'm afraid all I can offer is this article today about other people complaining:

NorthJersey.com: Cablevision switch fuels ire (http://www.northjersey.com/entertainment/tv/46168297.html - broken link)

You may be able to call them and request a rate decrease. I know that others have done the same. There has been at least one other thread on this board with people asking how they can get the cable company to reduce their rates.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
I called last week and said it wasn't fair to charge me for expanded basic when 14 channels were taken away and all the customer service rep said was "sorry". I never thought when I was a kid that as an adult we would have to pay for TV!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 AM

231 posts, read 587,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I called last week and said it wasn't fair to charge me for expanded basic when 14 channels were taken away and all the customer service rep said was "sorry". I never thought when I was a kid that as an adult we would have to pay for TV!
Right, the way you go about it matters. I would call back and say that you can't afford to pay the extra for the additional channels. If it doesn't work, you may need to threaten to cancel. You can do this and/or ask to speak with retention. If you're willing to go pretty far, you can say that you're cancelling your service. They will ask if you have an appointment with a competitor set up. I assume that this is the time to say yes, although I'm not sure. I have been asked this on 2 occasions when I tried haggling with them. The first time, I said that I did not have an appointment and the guy did not take me seriously. The second time, I did say that I had an appointment and he was more willing to work. In the end, I switched to FiOS. Cablevision had been willing to give me a 15% discount off of what I was previously paying after some serious haggling. When customer retention talks to you, it seems like they want to figure out if you have a better alternative. When I first called and said that I was switching to FiOS, the guy didn't believe me and said that FiOS isn't available in my area yet--it had just been made available. So they are pretty aware of who has what alternatives available and construct their pricing and internet speed tiers accordingling. In the end, I suppose you could cancel your service and set a cancellation week out. They will probably call you again during that week and may offer you a better deal. If not, and you're willing to bite the bullet and come back with no concessions, you can just call and un-cancel.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
What they charge is totally outrageous and it looks like there is no end in site for any of us. The thought of what the rates will climb to in the future sickens me. Even after I told the rep I was unemployed, a long time customer and my husband may be getting laid off for a second time all I got was "Oh, sorry to hear that."

Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM

136 posts, read 723,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
What they charge is totally outrageous and it looks like there is no end in site for any of us. The thought of what the rates will climb to in the future sickens me. Even after I told the rep I was unemployed, a long time customer and my husband may be getting laid off for a second time all I got was "Oh, sorry to hear that."

Cablevision is a disgusting, filty, greedy, vile organization, I completey agree. But where is it written that cable tv is a nesessity like a food, shelter and clothing?

Or internet access for that matter?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Well I've had it with them....cancel is in my vocabulary
Don't even watch that much TV so how do you go about getting the very basic channels 2,4.5,7.9.11.12 with out paying for it??
Do I need to buy one of those digital converter boxes

Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well I've had it with them....cancel is in my vocabulary
Don't even watch that much TV so how do you go about getting the very basic channels 2,4.5,7.9.11.12 with out paying for it??
Do I need to buy one of those digital converter boxes
If your TV isnt capable of receiving the dgital signal, yes you will need a $40 (or is it $80) box. You may even need a new antenna.

I beleive none of this is necessary if you use their converter boxes instead of plugging the wire directly into your TV. They are only $5-$6 month more.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,820 times
The reason the cable companies are taking analog channels away is because they are out of bandwidth. By taking away one analog channel and adding it to digital, you can fit about 8 new channels into the system or 4 HD channels.

While I'm not one to defend cable companies, the days of analog channels are numbered, and rightly so. As a cable customer, I want the most HD channels for my money, and these analog channels in the 30s and 40s in the lineup prevent me from receiving HD channels because they hog bandwidth. Keeping analog channels on the system is a waste of resources. Yes, for some it stinks, but technology has moved on the more of these channels they delete, the better in the long run.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM

64 posts, read 160,268 times
I received a mailer from Cablevision about a month ago saying I would be losing a bunch of additional channels. The mailer advised I could call and get a Cable box and IO navigation free for 1 year.

I have a Tivo so all I needed to do was get an M-Card in it and I still have all my channels. I think the M-Card costs $2 or $3 a month to rent.

I agree it stinks to keep cutting my channels but not the bill. Unfortunatly they are the only game in town where I live that supplies high speed internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey