Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Are you kidding? Have you ever tried shopping in NC? I almost fell down and kissed the floor of Shop Rite when I moved back.

Their supermarkets are as overpriced as Wegmans with the selection of A & P.
Totally agree with that. When I was in Charlotte, the food sucked. I have a general disdain for grocery stores in NJ, the vast majority are poorly run, stock produce and product poorly and don't care how long you wait in line. Once, I got food poisoning from some meat I bought in a Superfresh - which was anything but. ShopRite is the best price/quality of the lower priced options in NJ. I will say though that there is a SR in Medford that is a delight to shop in. It is owned by a woman, she has won several local awards for businesswoman of the year. She does it right, I commend her for doing things 'the right way'.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Are you kidding? Have you ever tried shopping in NC? I almost fell down and kissed the floor of Shop Rite when I moved back.

Their supermarkets are as overpriced as Wegmans with the selection of A & P.
If you still live in Highlands, you have to pass an A&P and 2 Foodtowns before arriving at a Shoprite. That's a shame really. Do you shop at the Middletown store?
You'll find me in the Shoprite in West Long Branch on Wednesdays. They are both owned by the Saker family and they do a good job with them.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
If you still live in Highlands, you have to pass an A&P and 2 Foodtowns before arriving at a Shoprite. That's a shame really. Do you shop at the Middletown store?
You'll find me in the Shoprite in West Long Branch on Wednesdays. They are both owned by the Saker family and they do a good job with them.
I was just there the other day. Rarely do I go to the local stores you mentioned. I'm more likely to pop into Andy K's in Sea Bright for something quick than the A&P or Foodtown here in A.H.

No one else has mentioned Foodtown. I guess it's not high up on the list.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,547 times
I noticed a new sign at Andy K's. Did they renovate the inside recently?
I do like the hardware store in Sea Bright. You receive that personal attention you dont get at the big box stores.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
I noticed a new sign at Andy K's. Did they renovate the inside recently?
I do like the hardware store in Sea Bright. You receive that personal attention you dont get at the big box stores.
They've added a little section by the liquor store side to sell sundries and things. Love the hardware store, too!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 AM

26 posts, read 135,310 times
I don't think anything is worse than the SHOP RITE in east orange. lol

Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
You have not seen a bad supermarket until you visit some of the major supermarket chains found in urban areas, like C-Town for example. The aisles are extremely narrow and there is very little brand variation among products. Compared to those, all of the supermarkets listed above are heaven, LOL.

If I had to choose between Shop Rite and Pathmark, I guess I would choose Shop Rite. A good supermarket chain is Food Basics; have any of you heard of it? I only know of four; which are located in Belleville, Glen Rock, Passaic, and the Paterson/Clifton border. It's affiliated with A&P.

I'm surprised people here are calling West Paterson "Woodland Park". Only transplants to the local area usually use it to dissociate the town with Paterson. But it might stick in the long run, (e.g. Elmwood Park). My friends and I facetiously call it W.P. or "the nameless town", LMAO.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
It's a shame that the Pathmark in West Paterson has fallen on hard times. Five years ago, before I moved, I'd shop there for the sale items before going across 46 to go to the Shoprite for their sale items. My only complaint then was the buses of old people that would be dropped off (I worked nights then, so I'd shop around 9 to 10 AM). If you didn't get in the store before the Q-Tip people, as I called them, you'd be stuck in the aisles behind them as they walked slower than trees and stared at items they had in their hands, for what seemed like eons. I guess the marriage of Pathmark and A&P wasn't a winning combination. The giant A&P further on down the road on 46 in Little Falls is (or was) very clean and a nice place to shop, altho their prices left much to be desired.

I'd kill to have Pathmark and Shoprite in NC. Harris Teeter (Hairy T*ts) and Food Lion (Food Kitty) would be out of business here if they had to compete with them!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It's a shame that the Pathmark in West Paterson has fallen on hard times. Five years ago, before I moved, I'd shop there for the sale items before going across 46 to go to the Shoprite for their sale items. My only complaint then was the buses of old people that would be dropped off (I worked nights then, so I'd shop around 9 to 10 AM). If you didn't get in the store before the Q-Tip people, as I called them, you'd be stuck in the aisles behind them as they walked slower than trees and stared at items they had in their hands, for what seemed like eons. I guess the marriage of Pathmark and A&P wasn't a winning combination. The giant A&P further on down the road on 46 in Little Falls is (or was) very clean and a nice place to shop, altho their prices left much to be desired.

I'd kill to have Pathmark and Shoprite in NC. Harris Teeter (Hairy T*ts) and Food Lion (Food Kitty) would be out of business here if they had to compete with them!
Don't worry Emissary, I'm sure the comment is nothing more than an unfounded exaggeration. Although I haven't been to that Pathmark in years, I have gone to the one in Elmwood Park, which is even closer to Paterson, and it was fine. It should have been utter chaos, since according to some, being close to Paterson equates to such.

And you are right about the Pathmark and Shop Rite having a massive geriatric clientele. The Shop Rite definitely is still the same.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 AM

119 posts, read 472,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Totally agree with that. When I was in Charlotte, the food sucked. I have a general disdain for grocery stores in NJ, the vast majority are poorly run, stock produce and product poorly and don't care how long you wait in line. Once, I got food poisoning from some meat I bought in a Superfresh - which was anything but. ShopRite is the best price/quality of the lower priced options in NJ. I will say though that there is a SR in Medford that is a delight to shop in. It is owned by a woman, she has won several local awards for businesswoman of the year. She does it right, I commend her for doing things 'the right way'.
Is that a Zallie's? I wish she had more locations to the east of Medford, I really like the Shop Rite's in south-west Jersey. The ones where I live in Ocean County aren't nearly as nice and aren't nearly as much of a pleasure to shop in. In fact, they're usually chaotic. However, I do agree Shop Rite is the best supermarket. They always have reasonable prices and sometimes some really good deals. I won't speak about other Pathmark's (don't wanna get Tahiti on my ass ) but the one near me is pretty horrendous. The prices are overpriced to the extreme, to the point that it makes me feel insulted.

We used to shop at A&P about 5-6 years ago and earlier, but I don't remember how they were. The one's I've been to weren't as nice as Shop Rite I know that, and I doubt they had the same kind of prices either.

I like Wegman's a lot. You would think everything would be insultingly overpriced, but they have some good deals there too. Wish there was one somewhere around the Jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey