Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It did wonders for the UAW didn't it? Just think of health care like GM.
Don't get me wrong, it'd suck.

But it wouldn't suck because the government sacked all the union workers and replaced them with cheaper labor. It'd suck for the opposite reason, the union will suck all the the government has out for itself - see teachers and firemen in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Don't get me wrong, it'd suck.

But it wouldn't suck because the government sacked all the union workers and replaced them with cheaper labor. It'd suck for the opposite reason, the union will suck all the the government has out for itself - see teachers and firemen in California.

Maybe or they could get the UAW treatment, givebacks and 37% of a company currently in bankruptcy and bound to be there again.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,172,414 times
While you may not be an actual scab, you're still many times crossing a picket line, and you're leaving your family for money. Period. Sorry, I decided to be poor and stay home and work for the normal pay at my current hospital. If you choose to do travel nursing, don't act like some sort of savior/martyr when you CHOOSE to do it and be away from your family. That's why all my travel nurse friends are SINGLE.

There are hospitals EVERYWHERE unless you live in the sticks, so don't feed me a line of bull about how you have to leave your family. Take your family and move near a hospital, clinic or doctor's office. Sorry, not gonna get sympathy from me here. And it's not patient abandonment if your employer LOCKS YOU OUT and won't allow you in the buidling and tells you to leave lest you be removed by force.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:09 AM

8 posts, read 18,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
And you are out of your third grade mind to think these scabs are there to hurt people. This isn't Chechnya.
[Oops just realised I forgot the other 'p'. The key sticks sometimes -_-]

Anyways; why don't you get educated on what the scabs do when they're in the hospital and then come back and say something. Right now you just look like a fool saying that you would rather go to englewood now because the scabs are there. THEY KILLED SOMEONE. THEY DID A HIP REPLACEMENT ON THE WRONG HIP.

If you value your life and your loved ones lives; stay away from Englewood Hospital until there's a settlement.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelNurse55 View Post
Travel nurses (who also work as replacement nurses) are highly qualified and experienced nurses. Some are the best in the land.

If you, being the scab or 'travel nurse' as you would like to be called, are the best in the land - can you please explain to me why the scabs did a hip replacement on the wrong hip? AND THEN, could you explain why a woman who is 5 months pregnant walked into the hospital yesterday asking questions and not one of the scabs could answer them BUT the nurses outside of the building could have?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well wait a minute your beef with the replacement staff is that their incentive is money don't you work for money too?

Not really. Most nurses work for their patients. They want to be able to tell them that they can go home - they want to be able to put a smile on their patients faces. These nurses don't care about the money - they're there for the patients.

They just want more staffing. Perhaps you haven't been to a hospital recently - but they are all drastically understaffed.

Unfortunately - scabs are only there for the money, and tend not to pay too much notice. These men and women who cross the picket line are mostly unqualified to do what they were hired for and are only there to get their money and leave.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSuporter View Post
Not really. Most nurses work for their patients. They want to be able to tell them that they can go home - they want to be able to put a smile on their patients faces. These nurses don't care about the money - they're there for the patients.

They just want more staffing. Perhaps you haven't been to a hospital recently - but they are all drastically understaffed.

Unfortunately - scabs are only there for the money, and tend not to pay too much notice. These men and women who cross the picket line are mostly unqualified to do what they were hired for and are only there to get their money and leave.
I am a pharmacist. The nurses you describe work in fantasy land. Nurses are human of course they care about money. If you don't care about the money go in on your time off and volunteer your services I am sure they would be gladly accepted.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 AM

I am the daughter and niece of workers in Englewood Hospital. These men and women go in at all hours to provide for this hospital and never ask for a thing. They hard work constantly and go in whenever they are needed - even on their vacation days, sick days, and often days off in the week. All they wanted was some more staffing being that there isn't nearly enough nurses. Some patients have to wait for nearly two hours to get admitted for care. These care takers work their butts off for this hospital. When the hospital says jump - they say how high; unfortunately there appears to be no reciprocation here.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSuporter View Post
I am the daughter and niece of workers in Englewood Hospital. These men and women go in at all hours to provide for this hospital and never ask for a thing. They hard work constantly and go in whenever they are needed - even on their vacation days, sick days, and often days off in the week. All they wanted was some more staffing being that there isn't nearly enough nurses. Some patients have to wait for nearly two hours to get admitted for care. These care takers work their butts off for this hospital. When the hospital says jump - they say how high; unfortunately there appears to be no reciprocation here.

Well your mother and aunt are not telling you the whole story about the strike, in addition to staffing it is about money.

NorthJersey.com: UPDATE: Hospital, nurses union ordered back to bargaining table

No one doubts nurses work hard but these are tough economic times and we all must sacrifice, even union members. Isn't that what Obama talks about shared sacrifice. Well the nurses can share in the sacrifice too.

Wow and look at this little beauty.

Englewood’s nurses are “among the highest paid registered nurses at any hospital in the state” and the average salary is close to $100,000. Margiotta said. Last year, 165 of Englewood’s nurses made more than that, she said, adding “They also enjoy excellent benefits.’’
Union president Michele McLaughlin said the average nurse’s salary is closer to $80,000 - based on information provided by the hospital.

$80,000 or $100,000 that is a lot of money and they are looking for more?!

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-04-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times
Do you really think that nurses make $80,000 BASE pay? That's with all the overtime added on, and they all have to work a lot of overtime because of the staffing issue. But that side, from what I understand, the nurses are not asking for a raise in base pay (beyond maybe the marginal cost-of-life raise to be kept intact). In addition to wanting better staffing, they are fighting against other things too...I think I heard that the hospital wants the nurses to work required OT without OT pay (only regular pay).

If YOU (or your child or your spouse) gets hit by a car and ends up in the ER, do you really want to be cared for by a nurse that is on the 12th hour of her shift, has had to pee for the past 2 hours, has had to forgo her meal break as usual, is making unfair OT wages, has 8 other crying, bleeding, sniffling, dripping, peeing, defecating, complaining combative patients (and their worried, in-the-way family members), and 3 drunken and/or high illegals who can't speak English and don't have insurance, IN ADDITION TO YOU?

By blasting these nurses for being 'selfish' and supporting agency/travel/scab nurses, that is EXACTLY what you are saying. A temp is a temp is a temp. Have you ever hired a temp, or been one? Yes, they have skills, and NO they are not out to deliberately hurt anyone, but when a temp walks in at the last minute...they don't know a patient's history...they don't know what's coming down the pipeline. And you know what? They don't have too much invested, in the long-term, for that hospital.

This isn't about the nurses and their union being 'selfish'. You want to talk about selfish, look into the monetary and other types of compensation that the CEO and the upper management get. Look into what they are willing to give up or compromise for themselves. (NOTHING)

Don't put your hang ups about unions, the current economy and the state of the U.S. healthcare system on these nurses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey