Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times

Advertisements

To me florida is a nice place to visit but its too sprawling to put roots down anywhere. You could find jobs in your skillset in Jacksonville or in Miami but the problem is where are you going to live as those 2 locations aren't commutable even if you lived in the middle of the two cities. Even if you play it save and live in Orlando its still 3 hours from miami and Jacksonville and forget it if you find a job in the pan handle. Only if you are wealthy could you really live their otherwise working in IT or finance it would be hard to find a place to live unless you choose to rent.

Places like Houston,tx dallas,tx and altanta,ga are hubs where a lot of jobs are in one central area which makes it more attractive. Jersey is sort of like that too with a ton of jobs in north jersey as well as mass transit between different hubs (New Brunswick, New York, Newark etc). Florida doesn't even have that and it feels more like the boonies which is why you have a lot of uneducated people in areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
To me florida is a nice place to visit but its too sprawling to put roots down anywhere. You could find jobs in your skillset in Jacksonville or in Miami but the problem is where are you going to live as those 2 locations aren't commutable even if you lived in the middle of the two cities. Even if you play it save and live in Orlando its still 3 hours from miami and Jacksonville and forget it if you find a job in the pan handle. Only if you are wealthy could you really live their otherwise working in IT or finance it would be hard to find a place to live unless you choose to rent.

Places like Houston,tx dallas,tx and altanta,ga are hubs where a lot of jobs are in one central area which makes it more attractive. Jersey is sort of like that too with a ton of jobs in north jersey as well as mass transit between different hubs (New Brunswick, New York, Newark etc). Florida doesn't even have that and it feels more like the boonies which is why you have a lot of uneducated people in areas.

Soooo there are uneducated people in areas of Florida and the cause is that it feels like the boonies ????

There are uneducated people all over the world.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 34,700 times
If you listen to the Jersey negative ppl then your in trouble. I did the same thing you are planning to do. I said i'm done with what is the money pit Jersey. I left 5 yrs ago and i'm lovin it down here. Jersey whats that?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I don't think any of the posts have been trying to put down Florida at all, just different people telling their different experiences.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM

119 posts, read 233,162 times
Default A YEAR LATER UPDATE....part 4

Hi guys,

It's been a little over a year since my last update. Back in August of last year I packed up and drove across country to go back to school, horray for me!!! I originally started this thread because I wanted to get others opinions on whether moving to Pensacola for a year made sense financially for me. In my mind it made perfect sense and others agreed. Unfortunately, that isn't the way in played out. In reality the move was a wash because I somehow poured the same amount of money into the home as I would have if I'd just stayed in Jersey and continued to rent. I've never had a house before, so I did not realize that houses have hidden expenses. Seriously, every time I turned around I wanted to spend money on something for the house or the house needed some kind of repair. I talked a little about that in my last update.

Anyway, I have one more year of school left and call me crazy but I'm thinking about returning to Pensacola to the house after graduation. Before I moved down there I was convinced the house was located in a bad neighborhood but it's in a good area. More importantly, local businesses are expanding and the community is showing signs of improvement too. The hospital located minutes from the house is going through a multi-million dollar re-vamp. As much as I love NYC, I know I'll never be able to afford the outrageous rents and cost of living long-term. My ultimate goal is to have a home and city living just doesn't allow that. Plus, I sorta of miss the house I poured money into improving and it's currently just sitting empty--again. The house needs more improvements but it's at a stage where I could easily move back in and be very comfortable without doing anything. But the real reason I'm thinking about returning is because I'm researching jobs in the field that I'm currently going to school for and there seems to be plenty of jobs in the Pensacola area due to the heavy military presence down there. And surprisingly, the pay is much higher than up here!

Oh, and I also miss the beach.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Good luck FountainRunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey