Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,189 times

Advertisements

I was just curious what factors are most important to you when evaluating potential new areas where you might want to live. Do you think about long term or do you plan around areas as they currently are and adapt at some point in the future?

My fiance and I have sort of a unique situation. I am originally from North Jersey, she is from South Jersey. We started dating and very early on we both purachsed a condo. Fast forward a year later and we are now engaged and I am renting my unit while we both live in her unit in South Jersey. We are stuck waiting for the homes to hopefully appreciate or at least have prices stabailize to a point where we will nto be taking a loss if we sell.

The situation is not ideal, and we plan on moving somewhere that is central to our jobs and families in the next 1-2 years.

Currently, Princeton is the absolute mid-point for us in regards to our jobs. That severely limits us - we like Princeton, but it is very expensive and the homes are older.

We're looking for the usual list of requirements - good school system, safe...combined we make a good living so we should have some options.

Here is where we are thinking - Princeton, Montgomery, Belle Mead and as far North as Hillsborough or even Branchburg.

Any thoughts/ comments/ recomendations on how to balance al of the variables? We would prefer new construction if possible, budget is probably $450K - $500K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
There is no guarantee that home prices will stabilize in the near future. You either move now and buy in a recessed market or wait and hope prices will come back. That is a decision only you can make.
Branchburg will offer the least expensive homes on your list.
All the schools on Somerset county are pretty much equal but you will get those who like to argue the point.

You know, school X is better than school Y because that's where we live.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,189 times
The isue is that we both purchased in the last 16 months, so to turn around and sell would likely net a loss at this point when you factor in realtor fees. We both took advantage of the $8K tax credit for first time home buyers, ut I've already had to repay mine to the IRS after converting to a rental unit. if we sell the unit we are in now, that's another $8K to pay back.

The issue is that I am paying a lot more now in tolls, gas and mileage on my truck by commuting back and forth 70 miles each way. So there is an added cost in staying where we are for awhile as opposed to selling sooner, and a loss.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
You should look at South/North Brunswick too.....close access to turnpike at 8A or even 9. You can get lots of relatively new townhomes in your price range. Consensus is excellent schools in both those townships. But I think long term the commute that length will be tough so would question why you'd want to buy. Also places like Kendall Park would be nice but, again, older choices......Look at places like Rennaissance or Princeton Walk or Princeton Manor for new ones. Seriously, you'll be surprised how nice choices are there.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Check out Chesterfield and Robbinsville if you are looking for new construction. They should both be in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: