Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:53 PM

91 posts, read 477,067 times

Advertisements

Are the residents of NJ aware of the poss. of a Halfway House settling into that house that just sold across the street from you?
It's true and you will NOT be notified, and can do absolutely nothing about it.
Reformed drug addicts moving into a Halfway house as part of their recovery (whether it be 2 wks or 100 days) are federally protected under a provision of the Disabilities Act.
Yep! That junkie, that just 3 weeks ago, had a syringe sticking out of their tract marked arm, is now living just a hundred feet from your 2 toddlers.
AND YOU CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT!
Don't think it can happen in your prospective town? It happened in beautiful suburbia Howell.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
You're right. I'd prefer the undetected meth lab with a steady stream of unchecked criminals and addicts. They're so much more responsible when I leave my 2 toddlers outside to roam unattended -gimme a break.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
There are halfway houses in every town, even rural and suburban towns. Such residences (which also include homes for mentally, physically, and developmentally disabled adults and children) are monitored by the state and often also monitored by non-profit agencies. In the unlikely event a person in the home manages to behave in an inappropriate way despite all this monitoring, a complaint from the community is taken very seriously. IMO it is much better than having a drug addicted, alcoholic, or pedophile neighbor who is living independently, and you have little or no recourse if you feel uncomfortable or witness suspicious behavior. Do you really think all of your "regular" neighbors in Howell have no addiction problems?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 PM

91 posts, read 477,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
You're right. I'd prefer the undetected meth lab with a steady stream of unchecked criminals and addicts. They're so much more responsible when I leave my 2 toddlers outside to roam unattended -gimme a break.
??
Of course you would not want them as your neighbor either. You can call the police when you see the signs of drug trafficking. They can be shut down.

The means to a fix of a heroin addict are endless. It scares me even more that these are the ones that could be crashing right across the street from me and my family. The success rate is very low. Unfortunately that is a reality.
So, what you are saying is you would welcome a halfway house, (unannounced, and no notice given) as your next door neighbor. You, my friend, are talking out of your a**!
If we want to sell our house, we have to by law disclose that there are 4 recovering heroin and meth addicts living in the house across the street.
Think that buyer is still interested?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 18,031 times
Halfway houses aren't just for heroin addicts, so don't be so ignorant. Also, you might want to consider that Bill or Jane next door could be child molesters, and Bob and Sally across the street could be robbers. Pay attention to your own house, try not to pick up any bad habits and watch your kids. Period. This whole business of not in my backyard is pretty arrogant. Let someone else deal with it, right? Perhaps you have a few towns you'd like to suggest for these people who are so beneath you.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post
Yep! That junkie, that just 3 weeks ago, had a syringe sticking out of their tract marked arm, is now living just a hundred feet from your 2 toddlers. AND YOU CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT!
Nothing a 100+ lb lab and a Remington 870 can't fix

Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morristownetcc View Post
Halfway houses aren't just for heroin addicts, so don't be so ignorant. Also, you might want to consider that Bill or Jane next door could be child molesters, and Bob and Sally across the street could be robbers. Pay attention to your own house, try not to pick up any bad habits and watch your kids. Period. This whole business of not in my backyard is pretty arrogant. Let someone else deal with it, right? Perhaps you have a few towns you'd like to suggest for these people who are so beneath you.
sounds good, how about we stick a halfway house or two on your street, then we'll see what tune you're singing

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 18,031 times
I'd have no problem. At least you know there are people in those house trying to help themselves.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morristownetcc View Post
I'd have no problem. At least you know there are people in those house trying to help themselves.
then you are just an idealist, please don't try to inflict your idealism on innocent people. Many residents in those kind of facilities are indeed trying to turn their lives around, my concern is the 1 or 2 who aren't

Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
They have halfway houses everywhere here - after hurricanes, it's not uncommon for the govt to rebuild some of the homes and turn them into to halfway houses. When I was about 14 they built one about four houses down from my grandmother. They didn't send out official notices or anything, but it was kinda obvious when a large group of white people moved into a pretty much black neighborhood.

We never had any problems that we didn't have before we moved in and they even added our street on the communtiy coach (kinda like a small, free city bus). Besides what makes them any more dangerous then your neighbors 16 year old son who gets all coked up and decides it might be a good idea to steal your tv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: