Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I dunno- haven't run into any of either. I think you need to rethink the places you frequent when you visit if that's what you're finding............lol
Downtown Atlanta, anywhere. My sister just went to Coca-Cola a few weeks ago and she and her co-workers were accosted by panhandling crackwhores as her co-workers were showing her around the park.

I encountered "toofless" meth-heads in Cumming, north of Atlanta, in a Publix parking lot, who accosted me for change.

If the crackwhores and meth-heads don't get you, the Kudzu will! We have no Kudzu problems in NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I actually lived in TN for a month when I was considering moving there. Split time between Knoxville and Nashville (Brentwood / Franklin). Knoxville is just terrible - nuff said. Brentwood has AMAZING huge new houses that rival anything up here for much less $$$. But then what? We never had a good meal...chain after chain after chain, all the houses are in subdivisions...no community at all, it feels backwards- they still allow smoking in restaurants (and yes I ate at Craker Barrel and it was gross) and religion is pushed down your throat everywhere from bill boards to people coming up and telling you "Jesus loves you". There may be huge houses but there are plenty of issues to consider other than fantastic cheaper housing.

And this is from someone who WANTED to move there.
Wrong, The Smoking Ban became effective in 2006 , when I moved here. They no longer allow smoking in Restaurants unless its designated 21 and over, and if you don't smoke, you don't go there. Not many went smoking, and a few that did, did not survive.
There are plenty of non chain restaurants here, you just need the intellegence to find them. Nashville New Neighbors, the club I belong to finds all the ones that are not part of a chain. I bet you never even found Joey's House of Pizza, in Maryland Farms in Brentwood. The owners are from Brooklyn, and there is no mistaking that, LOL
Wow, never felt religion was put in my face, have friends from all religions here, and not all believe in Jesus. I do go to church, but I did that in NJ also.
Byw, Cracker is spelled this way, and NJ has Cracker Barrels also.
Diane G

Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The real wonder is why you stay here. Let me guess - it has something to do with a job. If not, then you're a fool to live someplace you complain about while you know of a place that is much nicer and better. And it doesn't surprise me if you are that kind of fool, or some other sort of fool. Why else would you choose to live in an inferior home for more money? Obviously, only a fool would do something so dumb.

I happen to know Kewl is looking to move here. I also know him from a Cruise Group, and he has cruised with friends of mine.

Diane G

Old 07-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Well said. The bottom line with those bashing jersey from out of state - they are envious that they either couldn't afford to stay, didn't have the smarts to stay, (after all you can find a house in NJ especially these days on just about any budget) or they relocated for another reason that in some way turned out to be a disappointment, like a job or spouse, a relative, school, etc.
I had very little left on my Mortgage in NJ. I choose tp take my children where someday, they will buy a home, and be able to live a good quality of life. My son did not follow, but 6 months ago did. He was just back in NJ to visit friends, but said he likes it here better.
My Husband moved here with the same salary, more now because of raises.
I sure could afford to stay.

Diane G

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
My uncle lives outside of Nashville, not far from Brentwood, so I know the area you're talking about.

And yes, there are some who will defend NJ to the death, and can't understand how anyone could possibly live anywhere else. In most cases, the folks who are most adamant about it have never lived anywhere else and have nothing to compare to, or made a hasty/poor choice in a move, and therefore have only their own bad experience as a comparison. To each his own, I guess.....
Bob, its where I live.
I'm not knocking NJ, just defending where I live , since I think most have never been here that knock it, or could no find a job when they came here.
If TN is so bad why does my daughters college have so many from NY or NJ?
How did they ever find it? and why all the way here?
Also. a day does not go by that I don't see a NJ plate.

Diane G

Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
made many a trip through TN, NC, SC and GA with the exception of COASTAL NC,SC & GA the Jesus freaks were all over..and those huge 10 feet tall crosses that pop up does not to appeal to me either....it's just way to in your face..no thanks
Kate, I saw one in Gatlinburg, but not here. My church surely is too cnservative to have that kind of cross, as is Brentwood where my church is.

Diane G

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I happen to know Kewl is looking to move here. I also know him from a Cruise Group, and he has cruised with friends of mine.

Diane G
It's pretty obvious he's intent on moving out of here. The sooner, the better - one less malcontent whiner that nobody here will miss, for sure.

I have no problem, Diane, with you having moved to TN and liking it better there. I have no problem with anyone severing ties from NJ and leaving if they don't like it here or prefer living elsewhere. That's good, and people should live where they like. Not everyone wants the same thing, so each person should seek out what place is best for himself or herself.

What I do have a problem with, however, is when those people come into a NJ forum of any sort to belittle NJ or otherwise gloat about how their new-found utopia is "better" than NJ. That's just what an A**hole does. I don't want to hear, in the NJ forum about how much "better" someplace else is, when it's not "better" because "better" is subjective.

Your OP of this thread was only to say you saw NJ plates in Gatlinburg. I had no problem with that, as it was tied to NJ, somehow. But it did come across with an implication that New Jerseyans are somehow fleeing NJ to head to Eastern TN, and what does that say? So I can understand how some saw your post as being disparaging to NJ, but I didn't.

However, your post did set up the soapbox for miscreants and Jersey-bashers to get on with their usual Jersey-bashing. Kewl is one of the worst Jersey-bashing idiots around. He doesn't have an IQ higher than his 6-year-old nephew and he has boasted about that, himself.

So, the sooner Kewl can get down to Appalachia, the better.

Don't you wonder why he's taking so long? If it's so much better there, and so horrible here, what's he waiting for? Oh yeah... maybe he can't find a decent JOB down there... Go figure, lol.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I am not a lover of the southern US but I will say that Nashville gets very good marks from everyone I have ever known who lived there (for any period of time). And I am speaking of transplants of course. It has its unique aspects that are not found in many of the other cities mentioned here. Also, not your standard issue population base- if that makes any sense in 2009.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,900 times
The only thing I have to say, in relation to the thread's subject title, is that I've seen so many Floridian license plates in NJ that it makes FL literally look like it's next to NJ rather than PA. (I was thinking of making a topic on this but nevermind.) Besides NY license plates, FL ones are the second most common out of state plates that I can spot. Does this mean every Floridian is fleeing to here (or a transplant FLian is coming back to the area)? No. They could be vacationing. They could be visiting. Or, they could be temporarily living in NJ and travel back-n-forth between states. Who knows...

Same can be said for other places around the world. Californians to Colorado and vice-versa. UKers to France and back. Just because a common out of state license plate shows up far from another state doesn't necessarily mean someone is fleeing. (Edit: As I'm getting that implication feeling from this thread's title.)

Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 AM

720 posts, read 705,855 times
We own property in Gatlinburg and rather enjoy it with one exception, Taxes! if the city doesn't stop with all the permits, taxes, etc. we will relocate our interest elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey