Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 AM

72 posts, read 292,928 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with renovating their home, then when you go to sell the buyer wants permits? We renovated a bath and didn't get permit. we assumed that since it wasn't adding a bath it would not require permit. we now are in attorney review and buyers want permit. which we are fine with getting, we have done everything to code we have actually upgraded the bath. I will be calling the town this morning, but I was just wondering if anyone went thru this already and what their experience was. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Depends on the town, and what the scope of work was. If you just replaced fixtures with the same type of fixture and replaced finishes, you'll probably just have to pay for the permit and have the work inspected. If you moved fixtures, changed piping, etc., you may have bigger issues, and may end up poking holes in walls to exposed the concealed work.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
We renovated our bath before selling. We had to have several inspections, 2 of which were before the walls were closed up. As Bob said, it depends on the town. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,843 times
Generally, updating the bathroom that was there constitutes replacement rather than construction. So permits would not be necessary, as you believe. In my location, I was turned away by the L & I when I asked if permit is required.

First you should determine if a permit is required... just because the attorney has a question does not make it a valid question!! Don't just apply for it and make things more complicated than they need to be.

A permit is required if one adds and therefore, ups the built-up square footage which is the basis of your assessed value and the property taxes. No addition ---no harm, no foul!

And if you changed any pipes or plumbing that is behind the walls that is a different story, that requires inspection and the plumber should have taken the permit.

Last edited by armx; 08-11-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: sp?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depends on the town, and what the scope of work was. If you just replaced fixtures with the same type of fixture and replaced finishes, you'll probably just have to pay for the permit and have the work inspected. If you moved fixtures, changed piping, etc., you may have bigger issues, and may end up poking holes in walls to exposed the concealed work.
I agree with you Bob 100% of the time because we do the same work and share the same pride in what we do. But Bob I think you may have missed something here. If she just replaced fixtures and cosmetic things like flooring and tile and wallpaper and even a new vanity or toilet....no permit is needed.

But you are correct that if they moved plumbing, electrical etc then yes they will have bigger issues.

If I was in a bad mood and a buyer asked to see permits I would tell them to go pound sand. But in this economic depression that may be the only home buyer east of the Mississippi River. I guess sellers just have to bend over and open wide for the one or two buyers out there who are demanding the ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM

367 posts, read 959,815 times
Sounds like a tactic to knock the price down or get out of the contract.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,270 times
Default Done to Code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
Has anyone had any experience with renovating their home, then when you go to sell the buyer wants permits? We renovated a bath and didn't get permit. we assumed that since it wasn't adding a bath it would not require permit. we now are in attorney review and buyers want permit. which we are fine with getting, we have done everything to code we have actually upgraded the bath. I will be calling the town this morning, but I was just wondering if anyone went thru this already and what their experience was. Thanks

You should not make the statement "we have done everything to code" because:
  • which "code" are you referring to?
  • you're exposing yourself to liability if anything is not
  • the AHJ can request that you open up finished surfaces
  • the AHJ can force you to completely remove the improvement (seen it done in Long Branch, NJ)
  • Without a municipal inspection, and approval, there's no official proof
  • even with a municipal inspection, and approval, the improvements still may not be to code (discovered in buyer's home inspections, and even new construction inspections.
Good luck with the sale of your home.

Last edited by BobKovacs; 08-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: advertising is prohibited

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
Just get the town inspector out to look at it. Act cool. Be super nice. Your agent should be able to walk you through this with the inspector, if you are using a skilled and well-connected agent who knows their stuff.

Does your town require a CO? If so, then the inspector will be coming anyway, and you can get the CO then push back and say got the CO, all is fine.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM

592 posts, read 2,187,520 times
can you guys explain some basics to me. I know for a condo/coop, you need to get approval to rennovate.

But for a house??? why on earth do you need to get permit to rennovte your own house? especially if it's something internal like a bathroom or kitchen. I never heard of this requirement.

????

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
can you guys explain some basics to me. I know for a condo/coop, you need to get approval to rennovate.

But for a house??? why on earth do you need to get permit to rennovte your own house? especially if it's something internal like a bathroom or kitchen. I never heard of this requirement.

????
To make sure that things are to code, and therefore safe. Especially when dealing with things like plumbing and electrical and of course, structural work. You wouldn't want to buy a house or live in a house that wasn't inspected and safe, right? There are things that you don't need a permit for, and things that you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey