Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 37,749 times

Advertisements

I need to Vent!

So after 14 long months of househunting and seeing EVERY house in Maplewood/Union and certain parts of South Orange that's been on the Market, I finally found a home 6 houses away from my daughter's school (Clinton) which was not a short sale/foreclosure/Bank owned etc and the owners already moved out and capable to closing quickly. All seemed to be going well until today, which was supposed to be the final day of Attorney Review. When asked about the oil tank that was once underground and all paper work/certificates etc relatated to the tank removal the Sellers drop a bomb! The Tank Leaked and they have a quote for 15K to fix it...as if that's not bad enough they expect the buyer (ME) to pay for it.

This wasn't disclosed to their agent (seller) nor to me until today. I'm so livid, it's not even funny. The audacity of these sellers!

I'm not emotionally attached to the house and I have no problem walking away (although I would hate to do so) but there's absolutely no way in hell I'm contributing a penny towards this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunamc View Post
I need to Vent!

So after 14 long months of househunting and seeing EVERY house in Maplewood/Union and certain parts of South Orange that's been on the Market, I finally found a home 6 houses away from my daughter's school (Clinton) which was not a short sale/foreclosure/Bank owned etc and the owners already moved out and capable to closing quickly. All seemed to be going well until today, which was supposed to be the final day of Attorney Review. When asked about the oil tank that was once underground and all paper work/certificates etc relatated to the tank removal the Sellers drop a bomb! The Tank Leaked and they have a quote for 15K to fix it...as if that's not bad enough they expect the buyer (ME) to pay for it.

This wasn't disclosed to their agent (seller) nor to me until today. I'm so livid, it's not even funny. The audacity of these sellers!

I'm not emotionally attached to the house and I have no problem walking away (although I would hate to do so) but there's absolutely no way in hell I'm contributing a penny towards this.
I'm so very sorry! That seller was outright deceitful and mean.

My kneejerk reaction would be to "badmouth" that property so it never sells.

Then you'll come in and purchase it at a 25% discount from the current agreed price plus $15K to fix the leak or the seller fixes it.

I'm sorry again and hope that this seller really thinks what they're doing to every party involved.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM

46 posts, read 166,130 times
There is a special circle in Hades for deceitful sellers.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,202 times
I feel your pain!!!!!!

We just put a bid in on our 3rd property, the whole process is enough to drive a saint crazy.

I, unlike you though, have away of finding myself sentimentally attached to each & every property.

Is there anyway you could get 15K credit off the sale price for this....?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 37,749 times
Getting 15K off the sales price, to me is still risky, the quote was just an estimate and from what I understand--until they start digging and testing etc, the total price won't be known. God forbid it turns out to 30K job. Then what?
Besides, I don't know that I feel like dumping more money out, after downpayment and some closing cost, another 15K (at minimum) would really put me closer to paycheck to paycheck--which I'm trying to avoid.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
I agree. I would just walk away from this property unless the owner agrees to fix it and give you certifications to that effect. Since they lied (by omission), about the tank, they could be lying about the amount of the quote they received also.

This whole thing is stupid because ANYONE who contracts for the house is going to be up in arms over the oil tank situation, unless it's mentioned beforehand, and some adjustment made to the price because of it. I'm sure glad it's not my house to unload.

Good luck. Hopefully, you'll find your perfect house soon!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
Plus, don't forget the insurance headaches you'll have for homeowner's insurance rearding the tank.

Just WALK AWAY. If the sellers are as deceitful about this, you have no idea what else is lurking.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Oh dear. Yeah, you'll probably have to walk because by the time they get the whole thing cleaned up, it could be a long time off. That's too bad though, how annoying is right.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunamc View Post
Getting 15K off the sales price, to me is still risky, the quote was just an estimate and from what I understand--until they start digging and testing etc, the total price won't be known. God forbid it turns out to 30K job. Then what?
Besides, I don't know that I feel like dumping more money out, after downpayment and some closing cost, another 15K (at minimum) would really put me closer to paycheck to paycheck--which I'm trying to avoid.
Yeah, don't get involved in this. Don't walk, run, and be thankful you found out about it sooner rather than later.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM

744 posts, read 1,405,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I'm so very sorry! That seller was outright deceitful and mean.

My kneejerk reaction would be to "badmouth" that property so it never sells.

Then you'll come in and purchase it at a 25% discount from the current agreed price plus $15K to fix the leak or the seller fixes it.

I'm sorry again and hope that this seller really thinks what they're doing to every party involved.
It's essentially an open ended liability. No sane person is buying that house until they fix it first. Of course there's a lot of non-sane poeple around, though in this economy they probably don't have the money to buy a house right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey