Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
He's looking for a condo to live in for at least a few years, with an eye towards re-sale. He's looking at the nicest part of Hackensack and comparing that to the whole town of Cliffside. The condos he's looking at are probably within a certain price range. He might be looking at really nice condos in H-sack, while looking at middle-tier Cliffside properties.

Cliffside was only ever prestigious to the people moving on up from Hudson County. It's not as if somebody living in Ridgewood or Fair Lawn ever thought cliffside was a peer town. And, if they did it was not ten years ago, maybe 20.
Actually it's "she" and you are exactly right. It is midtier pricing in CP and on Anderson Ave specifically. Its pretty much all about resale for me since I am looking at 1br units which I may "outgrow" in a few years. The units on Prospect Ave. are bigger, more amenities etc. but being on Anderson Ave. means walking to shops and restaurants so it's almost a toss up for me.

Thanks to all who have shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain View Post
Actually it's "she" and you are exactly right. It is midtier pricing in CP and on Anderson Ave specifically. Its pretty much all about resale for me since I am looking at 1br units which I may "outgrow" in a few years. The units on Prospect Ave. are bigger, more amenities etc. but being on Anderson Ave. means walking to shops and restaurants so it's almost a toss up for me.

Thanks to all who have shared.
I would go with CP, personally because of the walkability of the neighborhood, the excellent public transit the buses (one comes every ten minutes) provide, and the fact that I don't mind small apartments. I live in a 650 sq ft. 1BR by myself right now, and its just way more space than I need or use. I would definitely live in Hackensack, though, if the price was right.

For resale, I have no idea.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,946 times
Quote:
He's looking for a condo to live in for at least a few years, with an eye towards re-sale. He's looking at the nicest part of Hackensack and comparing that to the whole town of Cliffside. The condos he's looking at are probably within a certain price range. He might be looking at really nice condos in H-sack, while looking at middle-tier Cliffside properties.

Cliffside was only ever prestigious to the people moving on up from Hudson County. It's not as if somebody living in Ridgewood or Fair Lawn ever thought cliffside was a peer town. And, if they did it was not ten years ago, maybe 20.
What's the first rule of real estate, my friend? Location, location, location. I don't care how nice the condo is, it's still Hackensack. And when people hear Hackensack, they get turned off. It's that simple.

As far as Cliffside, nobody is saying it's Alpine, but it was a hell of a lot more appealing and a hell of a lot pricier than Hackensack. All I'm saying is that a friend of mine who was born and raised there got out of dodge last year because he said it was "turning into Fairview." And when I drove through there this year for the first time in about five years, I noticed the same thing. So, please, don't tell me it's the same or better than it was 10 years ago. And, BTW, I could name a ton of towns in Bergen County that are less appealing than Cliffside, and, no, I'm not from Hudson County.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
What's the first rule of real estate, my friend? Location, location, location. I don't care how nice the condo is, it's still Hackensack. And when people hear Hackensack, they get turned off. It's that simple.

As far as Cliffside, nobody is saying it's Alpine, but it was a hell of a lot more appealing and a hell of a lot pricier than Hackensack. All I'm saying is that a friend of mine who was born and raised there got out of dodge last year because he said it was "turning into Fairview." And when I drove through there this year for the first time in about five years, I noticed the same thing. So, please, don't tell me it's the same or better than it was 10 years ago. And, BTW, I could name a ton of towns in Bergen County that are less appealing than Cliffside, and, no, I'm not from Hudson County.
To the bolded: Cliffside IS still a hell of a lot pricier than H-sack. The caveat is, though, all things being equal. Same size, age, layout house on the same size/quality lot will always be worth more in CP. I know this without even looking at any listings. Surely, you are not suggesting that it used to be the case that the upper end of the h-sack housing stock all cost less than the lowest end of the CP stock. I'd doubt there was ever a time where some houses in hackensack did not have higher value than some houses in CP.

I guess CP is more Hispanic than 10 years ago. I'm not willing to believe that that necessarily makes it a worse place. Others might disagree.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
To the bolded: Cliffside IS still a hell of a lot pricier than H-sack. The caveat is, though, all things being equal. Same size, age, layout house on the same size/quality lot will always be worth more in CP. I know this without even looking at any listings. Surely, you are not suggesting that it used to be the case that the upper end of the h-sack housing stock all cost less than the lowest end of the CP stock. I'd doubt there was ever a time where some houses in hackensack did not have higher value than some houses in CP.

I guess CP is more Hispanic than 10 years ago. I'm not willing to believe that that necessarily makes it a worse place. Others might disagree.
I agree with almost everything in your post, and, no, I'm not suggesting that the lowest-priced property in Cliffside was worth more than the highest-priced property in Hackensack 10 years ago. What I'm saying is that 10 years ago, I would take a considerably smaller place in CP than a larger one in Hackensack, if I was buying. If you say that's still the case now, then the OP knows what she should do.

In terms of the Hispanic aspect, since I am Hispanic, I would never suggest that a place would depreciate if the Hispanic population grew. What I am suggesting, though, is that a place could absolutely depreciate if the illegal alien population grew.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Just curious, and I'm being sincere, how do you know that the Latinos in any given town are illegal immigrants? I'm thinking it would be hard to know that if you didn't check their green cards. Before NJ, I used to live in Texas, which has plenty of immigrants from Mexico, and I didn't make assumptions about their immigration status based on the neighborhood they lived in. And just so you know, I lived for several years in the predominantly Mexican/Mexican-American neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Just curious, and I'm being sincere, how do you know that the Latinos in any given town are illegal immigrants? I'm thinking it would be hard to know that if you didn't check their green cards. Before NJ, I used to live in Texas, which has plenty of immigrants from Mexico, and I didn't make assumptions about their immigration status based on the neighborhood they lived in. And just so you know, I lived for several years in the predominantly Mexican/Mexican-American neighborhood.
Oh boy, here we go. Nope, you're right. No illegal aliens here ... not in New Jersey. Not in Elizabeth, Fairview, Dover, Bound Brook, etc. The people waiting to be picked up by the contractor on Main Street every morning, the one's packed into the back of the pickup truck, the one's 10 deep in a 2-bedroom rented apartment, and the one's stuffed in the Civic with Pennsylvania plates ... they're all here legally. Just like the ones who are working on your lawn in Summit.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 AM

292 posts, read 718,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain View Post
Hi,

I was curious as to ppl's opinion on this. Which do you consider a better place to purchase a condo for living and for possible resale in a few years. I am debating between Cliffside Park and Prospect Ave. in Hackensack. Bergenfield (near Washington Ave.) is also a distant possibility.
Thanks!
I love Prospect Avenue in Hackensack, great location and nice buildings.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

177 posts, read 700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Oh boy, here we go. Nope, you're right. No illegal aliens here ... not in New Jersey. Not in Elizabeth, Fairview, Dover, Bound Brook, etc. The people waiting to be picked up by the contractor on Main Street every morning, the one's packed into the back of the pickup truck, the one's 10 deep in a 2-bedroom rented apartment, and the one's stuffed in the Civic with Pennsylvania plates ... they're all here legally. Just like the ones who are working on your lawn in Summit.
Couldn't have described the scenario any better.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
What kind of moronic accusations are being put on Hackensack?
Hackensack has way bigger and more mansions than Cliffside Park can ever stand up to, so who ever is bringing up the mansion or-deal is speaking out of pure ignorance. Hackensack has it's "areas" that aren't doing great (Central and First area and around Railroad Ave) but there's parts that feels like your walking in and around Ridgewood... Some people just can't handle diversity, and considering Hackensack is in Bergen County, no wonder.

Cliffside Park is ok, but it's way overpriced considering the shape it's in compared to Hackensack and its many high-rise luxury apartments... Hackensack is a better pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey