Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM

523 posts, read 3,805,684 times

Advertisements

do you mean "looked at" as in you've been over on visit(s), or as in looked at online? morristown would probably suit you, but even that is far more of a smallish town than a large town/city (using UK terminology, anyway). same for summit...far less of a city, and more of an average sized town.

places which actually have a town centre, and shops you can walk between on pavement (UK pavement=US sidewalk) are few and far between, but both morristown and summit do actually have that. you might also want to consider madison, which is smaller than either, but very quaint. i work not far from where you will be working, and i chose to live out in the styx, but there are plenty of people who work in my office who live in either hoboken (lots going on, close to NYC) or montclair, so both of those may also be worth checking out.

to a Brit, the appeal of NYC is huge...its even better if you can work outside of the city, but be close enough to go in for entertainment, when you choose. im guessing most of the places you will consider living are likely to be under an hour's drive from manhattan (if you time it right), and if you ask around, there are some good priced car services which will take you in and pick you up again (often using your own car)...so my advice is not to necessarily limit yourself to places with train stations, especially if its only going to be occasional trips into NYC.

if you need any other advice from someone who has been through the same move you have, feel free to send me a message, and ill see if i can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 30,493 times
Thanks Kronenburg! yeah, we haven't actually been there yet, our first week there will be when we actually find the house, we've narrowed it down to five places we like the look of.
I like the idea of the DIY taxi service! not heard of that before! I think I may mail you for some tips and ideas, thank you to all who've helped so far!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
I'd recommend Ridgewood, NJ. It's a nice town, close to NYC by car, train, or bus; also near rt 80 to get you out to Whippany in about 25 minutes no traffic or 45 minutes w/ traffic. Very nice walkable town, most apartments are actually right on the edge of the center of town so you can just walk into town, plenty of banks, shops, restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. and it's a very attractive town. Also, there is no ghetto in or near Ridgewood, unlike Montclair which has a really bad ghetto section and the crime that comes from it. Morristown also has a ghetto, by the way.

Look into Ridgewood. Also, you'll be near Paramus which is the biggest shopping mecca in NJ.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Maplewood would also be a nice choice, along with all the other towns mentioned above (Montclair, Ridgewood, Madison, Summit, etc.) Tons of Brits in Maplewood. Seems to be very popular maybe because of nice brick houses and tudors remind them of home?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 36,854 times
My friend currently has a managed 2 bedroom apartment in a house in Summit available. It's on a tree-lined street and walk to everything location, including train station (midtown direct). If you're still looking and interested, email in again. It's also on realtor.com. Go to rentals. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey