Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 39,737 times

Advertisements

Great information, everyone! I think we've decided that the Sea Streak ferry is the way to go (in spite of the price) as the ease and time of the commute is worth it to us. It seems like from the replies, that the Atlantic Highlands is the area we should be looking. Joer, I'll look into the towns that you recommended (Fair Haven, Rumson, Little Silver and Middletown). Does anyone have children in the surrounding school boards? Any recommendations on best schools?
We are travelling to Jersey at the end of this month to look for housing, so we are in a bit of a time crunch. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 AM

179 posts, read 784,372 times
If you've decided on the Sea Streak, then Atlantic Highlands, Highlands and the coastal area of Middletown (Leonardo) are convenient. Good luck on your search and welcome to NJ.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliandkids View Post
Great information, everyone! I think we've decided that the Sea Streak ferry is the way to go (in spite of the price) as the ease and time of the commute is worth it to us. It seems like from the replies, that the Atlantic Highlands is the area we should be looking. Joer, I'll look into the towns that you recommended (Fair Haven, Rumson, Little Silver and Middletown). Does anyone have children in the surrounding school boards? Any recommendations on best schools?
We are travelling to Jersey at the end of this month to look for housing, so we are in a bit of a time crunch. Thanks again!
the public schools in the area are weak at best, rumson probably has one of the better ones, Little Silver 1-8 is very good after that it weakens, they share the HS with Red Bank, some of the middletown schools aren't too bad. The elementary public school in AH is a bit below average and the HS is a disaster.
Many people in towns with weaker schools, those who can afford it, use private schools

search around www.app.com they have the state report card for all the schools posted there

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 39,737 times
kort677, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever! So, if my husband takes the Sea Streak ferry, which area would give us the shortest commute with the best public schools? I've heard the private schools run $30,000 per child. We have three, so that would be $90,000! If we go farther out a little are the public schools better?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliandkids View Post
kort677, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever! So, if my husband takes the Sea Streak ferry, which area would give us the shortest commute with the best public schools? I've heard the private schools run $30,000 per child. We have three, so that would be $90,000! If we go farther out a little are the public schools better?
the closest town would be AH, that is where some seastreak ferries depart, any of the other towns would be a short ride to get to the boat with little silver being the farthest away.
Private schools run from $1500 or so for a catholic school to a bit over 15k for the best private school in the area.
The thing about the catholic schools is that while they always aren't the best academically they usually have decent kids as students, trouble makers get tossed quickly whereas the publics are stuck with what they get.
For me a nice atmosphere in school at the younger ages is as important as the academics

Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,887 times
Cali, Middletown is a very large town. There are many sections to choose from and the schools are very good! I would check out the Navesink section to start, due to the great schools and proximity to the ferry.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

82 posts, read 109,977 times
I disagree with kort677. Rumson & Fair Haven share some of the best schools in the state. Top ten, no..but very good and I believe top 25. Atlantic Highlands has a decent elementary school system...getting better all the time. A safe choice is also Middletown, solid elementary schools and decent high schools. As kort677 mentioned, many people do opt to send their kids to private high schools as we have some good ones in the area. I wouldn't be concerned about the elementary school system. Another town with top notch schools within twenty minutes of the ferry is Holmdel. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 05-14-2007 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: use email or PM

Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joer View Post
I disagree with kort677. Rumson & Fair Haven share some of the best schools in the state. Top ten, no...

how can you say that they are the best in the state and then say they're not in the top 25? it makes no sense, rumson is one of the better schools in the area, but it is far from being a top notch school, as are the majority of public schools in the shore area

I know many people with kids in those schools, believe me they don't hold a candle to any school close to being in the top 10.

You are correct holmdel has good schools but isn't very convenient to the ferries.

If you check the state report cards, you'll see the tests results can be dismal, for example the AH school traditionally has low math test results.

I don't know where you're from, or what you are basing your opinions on,
you should go to the web site I suggested, it might open your eyes up to what is really going on in the schools around here.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseynj View Post
Cali, Middletown is a very large town. There are many sections to choose from and the schools are very good! I would check out the Navesink section to start, due to the great schools and proximity to the ferry.
navesink is an excellent place to live but the elementary school has it's issues, schools are a very touchy subject, people get very emotional about the subject and sometimes lose any objectivity

Old 05-14-2007, 12:05 PM

82 posts, read 109,977 times
I live in Atl Highlands so I know first hand. The elementary school is small and in my opinion good. The so called "disaster" of a high school isn't as bad as people make it. Would I send my kid there, no based upon the fact that the school is shared with the Highlands. However, my neighbors son attends the high school and he is a straight A student about to attend Boston College in the fall. You know the old story, it's what you make of it that matters most. As for the school rankings.....there are hundreds if not thousands of schools in the state. Based upon your comments, I guess only the top ten schools are any good. To me, if your schools rank top one hundred they are good enough. Everyone is so caught up on what the school provides forgetting that it's the nurturing which takes place at home that matters most. I grew up in Manhattan and I have friends that attended what were considered some of the worst schools in the city. Three of them went on to Ivy League colleges. It was was the emphasis that their parents put on school combined with their desire to learn that mattered most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey