Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times

Advertisements

Ok before I moved to Jersey, my and my b/f didn't know a dang thing about the transit system here.

So one day we went to see the apt. we decided to rent and had took the PATH to Exchange Pl. and changed to the HBLR to Congress St.

Since we are both Native NY'ers we thought we could just transfer to the light rail since we already paid on the PATH.

Lo and behold we were taken off the train at by the fare enforcement officers and issue a ticket for non-payment.

We explained that we just came from looking at a place and didn't know we had to pay. He told us that he would let us slide but couldn't because one we were standing under a camera and his supervisor was with him so we were issued a $75 ticket. He also said don't worry about it just pay the ticket online because it won't turn into a warrant or go on your record.

OK why Saturday, I received a letter stating that there's a warrant out for my arrest and that I should turn myself in and pay the bail which is $99.00 because I didn't answer the complaint and show up in court.

I never received such notice or date.

Wth, in the process of moving to Jersey I totally forgot about the ticket so now I have to go to the court house and turn myself in and pay the bail amount.

Again, wth, I'm not a fugitive, I know pay my fare when I take the light rail but sheesh you can imagine how I felt when I saw that letter.

I plan on telling the judge the same story I just said here, was looking at an apt. originally from NY and didn't know you had to pay and extra fare and in the process of moving to Jersey I forgot about the ticket.

So do you think I would get off or just have to pay the bail and the dang fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,629 times
The ticket is your notice.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
The ticket was / is the complaint. Just go pay the $99 and if you have to go to court make sure you show up....don't worry as long as you take care of it they aren't going to stick you in jail but they will if you don't pay that warrant

Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM

341 posts, read 678,656 times
The first thing I would do is plead not guilty. Notify the court of your intentions and they will most likely cancel the warrant especially because it is not a serious crime; the court systems in urban areas of NJ do this often. Tell the whole story to the judge and explain to him/her that the enforcement officer was going to let you slide and question that officer about that in front of the judge. Never plead guilty, no matter what. That system on the light rail is confusing at best, so I can imagine how you would assume the transfer was free. Good luck, and make sure you put that enforcement officer on the spot. I have never pled guilty to any summons. Make them prove your guilt, never plead guilty, never. You would be surprised how often summonses are dismissed or reduced by pleading not guilty. Even if you are guilty, plead not guilty, always. God Bless America!

DO NOT JUST "GO PAY THE $99"........... bad advice.... plead not guilty

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
I'd def tell the story and try to get a break. Sorry to hear about the dramatic bailout fee lol. I'd also plead not guilty and fight it completely until it becomes to much trouble. Yea in NJ the transit system tickets are very specific.. always need something for transfer, need exact change on buses, stamps, routing, etc depending on what ur using.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
The first thing I would do is plead not guilty. Notify the court of your intentions and they will most likely cancel the warrant especially because it is not a serious crime; the court systems in urban areas of NJ do this often. Tell the whole story to the judge and explain to him/her that the enforcement officer was going to let you slide and question that officer about that in front of the judge. Never plead guilty, no matter what. That system on the light rail is confusing at best, so I can imagine how you would assume the transfer was free. Good luck, and make sure you put that enforcement officer on the spot. I have never pled guilty to any summons. Make them prove your guilt, never plead guilty, never. You would be surprised how often summonses are dismissed or reduced by pleading not guilty. Even if you are guilty, plead not guilty, always. God Bless America!

DO NOT JUST "GO PAY THE $99"........... bad advice.... plead not guilty
It's a warrant for failure to pay or show up, they don't cancel out warrants..this is now BAIL, he then can plead not guilty and go to court

as far as the bolded...yeah right the traffic officer is going to tell the court had it not been for the camera or supervisor he would of let them slide....

Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It's a warrant for failure to pay or show up, they don't cancel out warrants..this is now BAIL, he then can plead not guilty and go to court

as far as the bolded...yeah right the traffic officer is going to tell the court had it not been for the camera or supervisor he would of let them slide....
I'm sure the officer isn't gonna to say what he told me that would make him look like a fool in front of the judge but I'm most definetely going to tell the judge my story hoping they dismiss it ok but I still have to pay the dang bail which is more than the dang ticket.

Funny, for this reason I don't ride the light rail anymore, even though I have a monthly transit pass, lmaoo.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
I'm sure the officer isn't gonna to say what he told me that would make him look like a fool in front of the judge but I'm most definetely going to tell the judge my story hoping they dismiss it ok but I still have to pay the dang bail which is more than the dang ticket.

Funny, for this reason I don't ride the light rail anymore, even though I have a monthly transit pass, lmaoo.

Thanks for all the advice.
Yep it's a huge pain but also a money maker for the towns

Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 PM

341 posts, read 678,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

There are different types of warrants. The one he was issued is a bench warrant and cities like Newark and Jersey City recall them all the time. My sister recently got a warrant for unpaid parking tickets recalled by phone with the municapal court of Newark; they will issue you a new court date, like I said, they do it all of the time. Just because the possibility exists that the officer is not going to tell the truth that is no reason to not question him in court.

To the OP: Call the court and explain the confusion and I guarantee you they will reverse it and give you a new date. You might not have to pay that $99. Keep us posted and do not listen to these people who will tell you to bow down and accept whatever you have coming to you. If you have the time, fight it and in the very least you will not have to pay the full amount. Maybe the whole thing will get thrown out, you never know.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
There are different types of warrants. The one he was issued is a bench warrant and cities like Newark and Jersey City recall them all the time. My sister recently got a warrant for unpaid parking tickets recalled by phone with the municapal court of Newark; they will issue you a new court date, like I said, they do it all of the time. Just because the possibility exists that the officer is not going to tell the truth that is no reason to not question him in court.

To the OP: Call the court and explain the confusion and I guarantee you they will reverse it and give you a new date. Keep us posted and do not listen to these people who will tell you to bow down and accept whatever you have coming to you. If you have the time, fight it and in the very least you will not have to pay the full amount. Maybe the whole thing will get thrown out, you never know.

It's worth the time spent on the phone call just get names and make sure you get the new court date..if they decline then pay the warrant and then go to court & plead not guilty.

In essence it's a traffic warrant they aren't going to hunt you down for it in an urban area but if stopped it will come up & then you'll be arrested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey