Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,831 times

Advertisements

We are a military family moving to NJ from NC. Does anyone have any information of good areas around the military bases in NJ. Good locations to live, schools, etc. Wouldnt mind being a little further from base if its a good location. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Here are some previous posts to start you off.

OH NO...Mc Guire AFB!!!!!

Active Duty Military Headed to McGuire...

Moving and need some info please!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-fort-dix.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...unty-area.html

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Suggest you also post under city-data Military section for some information.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr78 View Post
We are a military family moving to NJ from NC. Does anyone have any information of good areas around the military bases in NJ. Good locations to live, schools, etc. Wouldnt mind being a little further from base if its a good location. Suggestions?
Are you active military? If so where are you going to be stationed in NJ?

If you just want to be by a base that has a good living area I'd suggest Picatinny Arsenal in Morris County, it's an Army base but they are building a Navy building on base there as well. As far as towns to live in..are you buying, renting & budget for rent or mortage and people will suggest towns

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
I wonder if the OP is getting stationed at the "Megabase": McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst? There are plenty of quality areas that surround this facility.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder if the OP is getting stationed at the "Megabase": McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst? There are plenty of quality areas that surround this facility.

I wonder to because they asked around the military bases but didn't say if they are active being stationed at one....oh well maybe they will post & clarify

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Default where?

They are military and already moving up here. That means they already have orders. They just need to tell us where they are assigned so we can make suggestions.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,831 times
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I wonder to because they asked around the military bases but didn't say if they are active being stationed at one....oh well maybe they will post & clarify
All,
Thanks for posting. We are not in the area yet but will be stationed at McGuire in a couple of months. Both of us are active duty members with two elementary school age kids. Possibly looking to rent temporarily since we've never lived in the area and may need time to find good locations and adjust to cost of living. Will definitely want to buy within the year. Any info you can provide as far as good schools, neighborhoods in the McGuire area would be great help.

I will try to post in the Military section as well, thanks for the suggestion.

Can anyone tell me what homes are going for in the area? 3/4 bed, 2ba, approx 1500-1800sf??

Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I've never heard of these people, but they have a really nice search page.

South Jersey Real Estate in Burlington and Camden Counties including homes for sale in Medford, Marlton, Mount Laurel, and Cherry Hill.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr78 View Post
All,
Thanks for posting. We are not in the area yet but will be stationed at McGuire in a couple of months. Both of us are active duty members with two elementary school age kids. Possibly looking to rent temporarily since we've never lived in the area and may need time to find good locations and adjust to cost of living. Will definitely want to buy within the year. Any info you can provide as far as good schools, neighborhoods in the McGuire area would be great help.

I will try to post in the Military section as well, thanks for the suggestion.

Can anyone tell me what homes are going for in the area? 3/4 bed, 2ba, approx 1500-1800sf??
I lived in Medford for almost 4 years. If I ever moved back to NJ, and I've always said this, I'd move back to Burlington County, and right along Rt 206. Southampton, Tabernacle, Shamong would all head my list of preferences. These towns are all about 20-25 minutes from McGuire, providing you can access Rt 68 (Pemberton-Wrightstown Rd) through Fort Dix. Prior to Sept 11th 2001 I remember being able to drive through this route, but you now have to be badged.

The elementary school ratings for Shamong are especially good, from what I remember, with Tabernacle and Southampton close behind. Medford is highest of all, but a further drive.

If you do not like semi-rural areas, however, with a smaller offering of services, then the towns I mentioned won't be as appealing to you. But that's what I like personally. Medford is more built up than the other three, probably the best mix between rural and high density suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey