Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,920,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
LOL! Good question. I'm not going to get into full detail what I like but I respect more of the 90s music than now. Right now, I'm listening to the Chronic. Most of the music out right now is garbage. The best album to me that came out this year that I heard musicwise has to be Raekwon's OB4CL2 record. I've been playing that album NONSTOP. Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 wasn't all that good as people made it out to be. He has some songs on there but otherwise, it's a pushover.
The last really great rap record to come out was Kiss of Death by Jadakiss in 2004. Everyone loved "Why?" which was a good song (don't agree with it AT ALL politically but good music is good music) but the whole album is sweet. His original record in '01 was awesome too, with We Gonna Make It being up there as one of my top 10 rap songs of all time.

It's been quiet other than that. I enjoyed Hip Hop is Dead by Nas in '06, with the best song being "Can't Forget About You" which sampled Nat King Cole. Call me crazy but my favorite hip-hop song of all time is actually off his earlier album... "Made You Look" and the remix were incredible. I still pump that up in my car all the time. It may have been a little pop-ish but it was very east coast and very metro NYC sounding. He did an awesome job on that song and never got enough credit for it IMO.

Last edited by VeradoDan; 11-21-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
The last really great rap record to come out was Kiss of Death by Jadakiss in 2004. Everyone loved "Why?" which was a good song (don't agree with it AT ALL politically but good music is good music) but the whole album is sweet. His original record in '01 was awesome too, with We Gonna Make It being up there as one of my top 10 rap songs of all time.

It's been quiet other than that. I enjoyed Hip Hop is Dead by Nas in '06, with the best song being "Can't Forget About You" which sampled Nat King Cole. Call me crazy but my favorite hip-hop song of all time is actually off his earlier album... "Made You Look" and the remix were incredible. I still pump that up in my car all the time. It may have been a little pop-ish but it was very east coast and very metro NYC sounding. He did an awesome job on that song and never got enough credit for it IMO.
A republican hip hop fan.................... So you're the one?
I'm waiting in anticipation for your further hip hop insights. Really, I am.

I'll take The Roots "Game Theory" over any of the above albums.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM

303 posts, read 752,875 times
Jersey is never considered to have a rap scene cuz it always gets associated with NYC. Only person who shouts out Jersey now is Akon but he not really rap anymore.And east coast rap is real rap that down south **** is stupid. most rapper from the south sound fuking ignorant and they all sound the same, it was kool at first the south got a rap scene but now i think they're the reason it sucks, i only give up to a few southern rappers(not lil wayne). East coast rap has true grit while others forms of rap are real glossy. But Jersey has a lot of rappers that madeit whether its long term or short. Queen latifah, Naughty by nature, Joe budden, AKon, Redman, Rah digga, Outlawz, Wycleaf jean Even Jay-z didnt live his whole life but spent a considerable amout of time in Trenton he even says it in one of his songs

Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Jersey is never considered to have a rap scene cuz it always gets associated with NYC. Only person who shouts out Jersey now is Akon but he not really rap anymore.And east coast rap is real rap that down south **** is stupid. most rapper from the south sound fuking ignorant and they all sound the same, it was kool at first the south got a rap scene but now i think they're the reason it sucks, i only give up to a few southern rappers(not lil wayne). East coast rap has true grit while others forms of rap are real glossy. But Jersey has a lot of rappers that madeit whether its long term or short. Queen latifah, Naughty by nature, Joe budden, AKon, Redman, Rah digga, Outlawz, Wycleaf jean Even Jay-z didnt live his whole life but spent a considerable amout of time in Trenton he even says it in one of his songs

Lil Wayne is just as bad as the rest of those other corny southern rappers. He is GREATLY overrated. It's a shame that somebody like Andre 3000 is underrated when he's everything Lil Wayne's not. There's so many lines Lil Wayne has said that are straight up retarded because they absolutely make NO sense.

There's just as much corny east coast rappers like there is in the south. There's too many to name. Juelz Santana, Jim Jones, Max B, 50 Cent, Tony Yayo, Lil Kim, Maino, Fat Joe, Diddy, Red Cafe, Papoose, Uncle Murder, Cormega.. There's not too many people that can rap well or have anything about them that makes their music worth listening to.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post

LMAO! You are missing out. Rae's new album doggy doo doos all over those records you mentioned. Jadakiss album and Nas' Hip Hop is Dead album. I hate that "Can't Forget about you" song. HORRIBLE. The girl he has on the hook can't SING either. Her voice is annoying and it goes all over the place. I cringe everytime I hear her singing. I thought she was some 40 year old woman the way she was singing only to find out she's only 19. Where do these horrible singers come from?

God Son was a way better record than Hip Hop is Dead. Made You Look is a classic. That beat is SICK. I don't understand how Nas can make a bunch of classic songs on one album like how he did on Illmatic and It Was Written and then fall off completely like how he did on I Am and Nastradamus. Nastradamus had to be one of the worst records of all time. If I need something to laugh at, I play Nas' Big Girl because it's that horrible. A lot of people seem to like Hip Hop is Dead though for some reason. To me, I don't see the difference between Nas' last album and Hip Hop is dead. Hip Hop is dead just had more hype to it even though it was average.

Honestly, this decade of hip hop was overall horrible. There was only like 5 good albums that came out this decade. There's so much albums that were hyped to death that were really overrated

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM

46 posts, read 166,245 times
Just wanted to add to the list of hip-hop artists from NY that now live in NJ:-Memphis Bleek (Keyport)-RZA (Millstone Twp)-Juelz Santana (Teaneck)-LL Cool J (Alpine)-Baby/Birdman (Alpine)-Ja Rule (Saddle River)I love how these guys rap about living "on the streets" and "reppin NY," yet they all live in cushy mansions in NJ(except Memphis Bleek, he has a normal home).I'm sure there are plenty more, but these are the ones off the top of my head.BTW, Jadakiss is one of the best rappers of all time, and Lil Wayne is absolutely OVERRATED!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Don't understand y every talks smack on Nas. He is one of the greastest rappers ever that doesn't get enough credit. He has influeneced some of the best rappers that are out now. What Nas made was pure good hip hop, simple yet real gritty, and you can't mistake his voice with no one else in all of hip hop. he has some of the greastest hip hop songs ever like small world, if I ruled the world, shoot em up, I can, k-i-s-s-i-n-g, ether, ny state of mind. And jay- owes his fame and status to Nas the sog that put jay z on had sample of Nas and if it was never for the beef they had jay-z wouldn't be as famous because that caught the attention of everyone

Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Don't understand y every talks smack on Nas. He is one of the greastest rappers ever that doesn't get enough credit. He has influeneced some of the best rappers that are out now. What Nas made was pure good hip hop, simple yet real gritty, and you can't mistake his voice with no one else in all of hip hop. he has some of the greastest hip hop songs ever like small world, if I ruled the world, shoot em up, I can, k-i-s-s-i-n-g, ether, ny state of mind. And jay- owes his fame and status to Nas the sog that put jay z on had sample of Nas and if it was never for the beef they had jay-z wouldn't be as famous because that caught the attention of everyone

Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,170 times
Talking Now I'm keepin it real

I'm talkin ol'school.

Give me some Salt & Peppa & let's Pump It Up. Oh the 80's were a fun time.
Hammer time? or Hamma time? His genie pants rocked !
The Beastie Boys- No sleep till Brooklyn. White boy rap, gotta give them credit, um I mean props.
Eminem - ehhhh I'm not like crazy mad for him but he does bring in the cash.

Finally the beautiful and poetic TLC with Don't go Chasing Waterfalls.
RIP Lisa Left Eye Lopes. She was a mental case with a death wish. But a very pretty girl. Such a shame.

That's about as close to RAP as I am comfortable with. For real.

Funny how my choice of music can range, just today I hummed and sang from Fiddler On the Roof.
That song just sticks in my head
"If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

It's kinda catchy? Eh?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,457 times
Jim Jones lives in Fair Lawn. Check out GDP, song orange water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey