Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM

292 posts, read 716,192 times

Advertisements

Phillipsburg, Wanaque, Rockaway (in some areas), Branchburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,507,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It seems to me they live amongst the rest of us. I've known poor white people who live in Wyckoff, Midland Park and Ridgewood.
Ain't that the truth. Poor people by NJ standards even live in Basking Ridge -- a wealthy part of Somerset County.

But honesty, if you're "poor" (which by today's standards means the declining middle class) then living in Northern NJ is probably not the best place for you're budget. Taxes are ridiculously high, homes are expensive (no downturn in price for the most part since the recession), groceries are costly, and public transit is also too expensive for what it is.

South Jersey is most definitely a better bet for the "poor." We all know Philly is a cheaper city to work and play in than New York.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 AM

9,965 posts, read 6,572,101 times
Toms River

Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,467,541 times
they all look rich and act rich but I know alot of them are one paycheck away from the poor house. Dont be fooled!!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,215 times
Poor white people, real ghetto live in Camden and Lindenwold. Camden County. Blackwood has some ghetto but the real hood is Camden - South camden is white and then of course Gloucester City but that is mostly Irish and that is a seperate type of white. Poor white irish is the lowest form in NJ and are seen lower than the minorities. In fact most poor whites would rather be black or hispanic and typically intermarry black or hispanic.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 11,215 times
Poor white people, real ghetto live in Camden and Lindenwold. Camden County. Blackwood has some ghetto but the real hood is Camden - South camden is white and then of course Gloucester City but that is mostly Irish and that is a seperate type of white. Poor white irish is the lowest form in NJ and are seen lower than the minorities.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM

145 posts, read 312,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Phillipsburg, Wanaque, Rockaway (in some areas), Branchburg.
Way wrong with Branchburg. They have a median household income of almost $120,000. There are some really huge houses out in Branchburg and insane property taxes. Definitely not a place that poor people can afford to live, unless they're living on Route 22.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1382 View Post
Poor white people, real ghetto live in Camden and Lindenwold. Camden County. Blackwood has some ghetto but the real hood is Camden - South camden is white and then of course Gloucester City but that is mostly Irish and that is a seperate type of white. Poor white irish is the lowest form in NJ and are seen lower than the minorities. In fact most poor whites would rather be black or hispanic and typically intermarry black or hispanic.
this reminds me of a blazing saddles quote. ive never personally encountered these poor irish people or heard of there being a big dislike for them.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,762,525 times
What is poor really, you could live in a blue collar neighborhood and have more in savings and investments than people who live in Wyckoff.

The mortgage broker said I could get a 500k mortgage, doesn't mean I did, although I know people who took that advice and bought a house they couldn't afford and are struggling. But hey, it is a nice white neighborhood with excellent schools and that is all that matters, right?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 21,120 times
Default HAHAAHA that's a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1382 View Post
???? Who learned you how to spoke Jimmy ? That's the funniest post I've read on NJ.com in a while. The OP asks where do Caucasians live in NJ and we get this anachronistic anti-Irish post straight from the 1850s? Then again, the nativists used better grammar.

Watch CNBC on any given day and listen to the names of the various CEO guests, hedge fund managers, traders and you'll see that Irish-America is disproportionately OVERLY represented, especially given that the auld sod only has about 6 million people, including the North.

It is well-documented that, with the exception of the Chosen People (hey, they are the Chosen People after all!) the Irish were the most economically successful immigrant group. (And let's not even get started with the # of politicians.)

Sooo funny - I probably shouldn't have responded to this, but it is funny, I'd accuse "Jimmy" of being Scotch <just kidding> but again not with his grammar being the way it is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey