Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM

394 posts, read 1,256,865 times

Advertisements

Poor whites go undetected in all of NJ's towns, since whites don't have to suffer the "ghetto" stigma that follows blacks and Hispanics wherever they are in NJ. Restated, if you see lots of black or Hispanics in a 'Jersey town, it is automatically declared "ghetto" by most white folk in NJ. A bunch of poor white folk would just be a bunch of white people, indistinguishable from any other white people - upper or lower class. That's the currency of NJ... or at least the way I saw it when I lived there.

-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 36,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Keansburg, NJ.
The Amboys.
Carteret.
Much of rural South Jersey.

Although Perth Amboy is very ethnically mixed, I think this guy got it right.

I would be as bold to add certain Cape May County Shore towns (in the Winter):
Ocean City and Wildwood come to mind.

Off-season unemployment is very high down there, even more so since Atlantic City became affected by the recession.

I lived in Ocean City last winter while going to Stockton College. The city has its own Social Services office. A lot of recipients live in the hotels and boarding houses off-season. The lucky ones manage to get a reasonable year-round lease. Where the other ones go in the summer, I have no idea. (Rural South Jersey, I guess. )

Ocean City is a really nice, safe shore town, even in the dead of winter. Probably because the town is Dry, and there are a lot of cops with nothing to do but issue speeding tickets. (That's a story for another day.)
There is a beautiful library, and lots of community services. However, it is still isolated and dark from October to April.

I met 2 separate people; both of them received Disability benefits. Each one asked me to stick around and rent an apartment with them. I told each one, I Need To Work, and There are No Jobs Down Here.
(Needless to say, I am now in northern Ocean County, and I am also gainfully employed.)

Wildwood has very cheap winter rents. There is a reason for this.
Let's just say that I would call Wildwood the "Keansburg of South Jersey", at least in the off-season.

Come to think of it, I would guess that (off-season) Seaside Heights is prime real estate for the poor and white. Am I Right?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
There are 26 zip codes (all of which are south of Trenton save Teterboro) where there is a median household income of under 50k a year, and over 60% white.

The towns are: (in descending order of income)

Clementon
Bellmawr
Cape May
Millville
Heislerville
Haddon Twp
West Creek
Port Norris
Teterboro (population 19)
Gloucester City
Buena
Salem (the lowest white population at 63%)
Bridgeport (the highest white population at 98%)
Paulsboro
Penns grove
Lakewood
Newport
Villas
Trenton (08079)
Minotola
Ocean Grove
Toms River
Wildwood
Seaside Heights
Rio Grande
Manchester (almost entirely retirement)
Attached Thumbnails
Where do poor white people in new jersey live?-nj-demography.jpg  

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I'm amazed that Clementon is at the top of that list.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm amazed that Clementon is at the top of that list.
Yeah, Clementon barely qualified, I think at $49,900 or something like that. Another 100 bucks and it would have been excluded from that list. Manchester, at 32,700, was the poorest of the list. But as I said, I think that's because of the high retirement population.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Curious, where did you get your data? Did you make that map?

Yes, a lot of 55+ in that area and still a bit rural.

Last edited by Gerania; 12-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: retirement housing

Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwik View Post
Although Perth Amboy is very ethnically mixed, I think this guy got it right.

I would be as bold to add certain Cape May County Shore towns (in the Winter):
Ocean City and Wildwood come to mind.

Off-season unemployment is very high down there, even more so since Atlantic City became affected by the recession.

I lived in Ocean City last winter while going to Stockton College. The city has its own Social Services office. A lot of recipients live in the hotels and boarding houses off-season. The lucky ones manage to get a reasonable year-round lease. Where the other ones go in the summer, I have no idea. (Rural South Jersey, I guess. )

Ocean City is a really nice, safe shore town, even in the dead of winter. Probably because the town is Dry, and there are a lot of cops with nothing to do but issue speeding tickets. (That's a story for another day.)
There is a beautiful library, and lots of community services. However, it is still isolated and dark from October to April.

I met 2 separate people; both of them received Disability benefits. Each one asked me to stick around and rent an apartment with them. I told each one, I Need To Work, and There are No Jobs Down Here.
(Needless to say, I am now in northern Ocean County, and I am also gainfully employed.)

Wildwood has very cheap winter rents. There is a reason for this.
Let's just say that I would call Wildwood the "Keansburg of South Jersey", at least in the off-season.

Come to think of it, I would guess that (off-season) Seaside Heights is prime real estate for the poor and white. Am I Right?
I think you're on the right track. I once visited a friend who was living in Ocean Gate. It was a weekday and at 10 a.m. there were all these people in their 20's and 30's hanging out drinking beer and no one seemed to have a job.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I lived most of my life in Bergen County and there were poor white people threaded all throughout the area. They just didn't live in clumps.

The services up there aren't so strained so they are often able to get assistance more quickly. Also, this is sad to say but over the years I've known a number of poor white families who knew how to work the churches and the charity of the more affluent people in them. After a few years when it became apparent that these families were not willing to help themselves even when given a hand up, they would move to another town, find another church, and start the process over again.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Curious, where did you get your data? Did you make that map?

Yes, a lot of 55+ in that area and still a bit rural.
Yes, I made the map, and I retrieved the data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 PM

11 posts, read 43,748 times
This seems like a rather silly question, how can you get a definitive answer from a question like that? It's like asking where do brown eyed people live in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey