Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times

Advertisements

It's probably been discussed on here a number of times, but last night, while flipping channels, I came across the MTV Real Life show about a Jersey Shore summer timeshare. The main guy was Tommy (bald guy construction worker, thinks he can kick anyone's ass and was always popping off at the mouth. I think he lived in his mom's basement?)

Anyway, I laughed my ass off at these people. How close to reality is that to the actual shore scene or was that just the clubs and young people that do the summer share thing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It's probably been discussed on here a number of times, but last night, while flipping channels, I came across the MTV Real Life show about a Jersey Shore summer timeshare. The main guy was Tommy (bald guy construction worker, thinks he can kick anyone's ass and was always popping off at the mouth. I think he lived in his mom's basement?)

Anyway, I laughed my ass off at these people. How close to reality is that to the actual shore scene or was that just the clubs and young people that do the summer share thing?
It's the NY media perpetuating NJ stereotypes...which really are not accurate at all. The Jersey Shore is generally very family oriented, and people don't talk like that. However, there are a handful of towns that DO attract that type of person...the difference is, those loudmouth people are from NYC...generally not NJ.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM

I'll also add this. It's irritating how MTV decides to show this side of the Jersey Shore, which really is not very prevalent in the coastal NJ region with the exception of a few towns.

When I was in my early to mid-twenties, my friends and I (all young professionals ... finance types, media, etc, who worked/lived in Hoboken/JC) had shore house shares, in Belmar and Manasquan. The houses that surrounded us were filled with other young professionals who were in a similar situation to us. The people we socialized with at the bars were professionals like us. Why couldn't MTV show THAT Jersey Shore scene? It's closer to "reality" than these knuckleheads with their NY accents.

For entertainment value, showing THAT side of the Jersey Shore still has entertainment value, and it shows NJ people and the real "Jersey Shore scene" in a much more accurate, realistic light.

But of course the NY media can't have that ... they'll save that show idea for a show about the Hamptons (which are in NY).

It continues to frustrate me how unfair and unjust the media is to NJ...and it really all stems from NY and the constant bashing. To most people in this country, particularly those who have never been to NJ, the image that they have of NJ residents consists of spiky hairdos, Sopranos accents and mob connections.

It is bizarre, because this is not even close to the NJ that we all know.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:

As a person who grew up going to Cape May County beaches several times a week (and still does), absolutely nothing like the shore. The only part that's close is Wildwood, but there's a LOT less guidos there, and a lot more Quebecois. It's more a "North Jersey" (and by "North Jersey" I mean "Central Jersey") shore thing and is usually made up of idiot guidos and stellas from Staten Island. Personally, I was not aware of this (or the exitance of Seaside Hights) untill I went away to college in North Jersey.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
Quote:

It's 100% accurate.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
How close to reality is that to the actual shore scene or was that just the clubs and young people that do the summer share thing?
It was very close to reality, in my opinion. Nothing in that show seemed out of the ordinary. What I found funny about that show was the fact that the guy was from Saddle Brook and when he was picking a fight in line at a cheesetseak joint, told the guy he was arguing with to "Go back over the bridge, go home, you're a benny." HUH? Since when do people who live in Saddle Brook consider themselves Shore locals? They ARE the bennies - especially guys like that clown.

That guy was pretty much the ultimate characature of what we locals refer to when we complain about vacationers in the summer shares. The propensity to think they "own" the club, the beach, the area as a whole, picking fights with people, the wannabe tough guy act, the one-size-too-tight clothing. It's pathetic. And it's all very, very true to form. These guys have no respect for anyone around them, the community in which they are staying, or even law enforcement. And this guy was NOT from New York.

You know I love you guys on here, but I think a lot of North Jersey people are using the "they're all from NY" excuse to absolve themselves from the embarassing behavior that characterizes the North Jersey vacationer nearly as much as the Staten Islander.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
When I was in my early to mid-twenties, my friends and I (all young professionals ... finance types, media, etc, who worked/lived in Hoboken/JC) had shore house shares, in Belmar and Manasquan. The houses that surrounded us were filled with other young professionals who were in a similar situation to us. The people we socialized with at the bars were professionals like us. Why couldn't MTV show THAT Jersey Shore scene? It's closer to "reality" than these knuckleheads with their NY accents.
Manasquan has the type of crowd you're talking about, but Belmar is as guido/guidette as Seaside. Actually, I know for a fact that the casting for the Jersey Shore show was done at D'Jais in Belmar. Bar A (in Lake Como, but seconds from Belmar) is also full of that crowd on certain nights, as is The Osprey in Manasquan.

As for the young professionals who come down to stay during summer weekends, it's all about the Parker House and, to a lesser extent, Leggetts and the Patio Bar in Pt. Pleasant. They're usually a pretty cool crowd that is made up of people just wanting to have a nice time. But that's not good TV.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Manasquan has the type of crowd you're talking about, but Belmar is as guido/guidette as Seaside. Actually, I know for a fact that the casting for the Jersey Shore show was done at D'Jais in Belmar. Bar A (in Lake Como, but seconds from Belmar) is also full of that crowd on certain nights, as is The Osprey in Manasquan.

As for the young professionals who come down to stay during summer weekends, it's all about the Parker House and, to a lesser extent, Leggetts and the Patio Bar in Pt. Pleasant. They're usually a pretty cool crowd that is made up of people just wanting to have a nice time. But that's not good TV.
Well if Belmar is like that now, it wasn't always like that. Maybe D'Jais is like that...but not everybody who stayed in Belmar for the summers went to D'Jai's, and not everyone who partied at D'Jai's stayed in Belmar.

Believe me, our shore houses in those days were full of young professional types, and it would have made for *GREAT* television. And I'm not just saying that...some of our adventures were fantastic - drama, sex, scandals, and dangerous situations ... all ingredients in the recipe for good TV.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
It was very close to reality, in my opinion. Nothing in that show seemed out of the ordinary. What I found funny about that show was the fact that the guy was from Saddle Brook and when he was picking a fight in line at a cheesetseak joint, told the guy he was arguing with to "Go back over the bridge, go home, you're a benny." HUH? Since when do people who live in Saddle Brook consider themselves Shore locals? They ARE the bennies - especially guys like that clown.

That guy was pretty much the ultimate characature of what we locals refer to when we complain about vacationers in the summer shares. The propensity to think they "own" the club, the beach, the area as a whole, picking fights with people, the wannabe tough guy act, the one-size-too-tight clothing. It's pathetic. And it's all very, very true to form. These guys have no respect for anyone around them, the community in which they are staying, or even law enforcement. And this guy was NOT from New York.

You know I love you guys on here, but I think a lot of North Jersey people are using the "they're all from NY" excuse to absolve themselves from the embarassing behavior that characterizes the North Jersey vacationer nearly as much as the Staten Islander.
What made me laugh is that this guy was a construction worker with maybe a high school education, living in his mom's basement yet drives an Escalade! Talking about living above your means. Then he pisses and moans about not finding a girl yet goes out and acts like a complete meathead, trying to start fights, own the cheeseball stand, etc. These are the kinds of guys that end up on Youtube because the get hit with the 'one-punch knockout' because they pop off to the wrong person.

On a serious note, do all the guidos wear the muscle shirts that are two sizes too small? Do they really think that's a good fashion statement? I'm guessing this fashion trend is just a youthful phase and they'll cringe at pictures of themselves when they get older.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
What made me laugh is that this guy was a construction worker with maybe a high school education, living in his mom's basement yet drives an Escalade! Talking about living above your means. Then he pisses and moans about not finding a girl yet goes out and acts like a complete meathead, trying to start fights, own the cheeseball stand, etc. These are the kinds of guys that end up on Youtube because the get hit with the 'one-punch knockout' because they pop off to the wrong person.

On a serious note, do all the guidos wear the muscle shirts that are two sizes too small? Do they really think that's a good fashion statement? I'm guessing this fashion trend is just a youthful phase and they'll cringe at pictures of themselves when they get older.
I can't comment on the fashion stylings of guidos, but I can honestly say that these types of people make up a very small portion of NJ's people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey