Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,632 times

Advertisements

We are moving to perth Amboy HarbourTown in June. Can any body give some details about the city, like safty,education,etc. We have a 4 yrs old daughter, so I am concerned about the neighborhood. I also found that 60% of the population is Hispanic. Any body who is living in Perth Amboy can give some information?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhana View Post
We are moving to perth Amboy HarbourTown in June. Can any body give some details about the city, like safty,education,etc. We have a 4 yrs old daughter, so I am concerned about the neighborhood. I also found that 60% of the population is Hispanic. Any body who is living in Perth Amboy can give some information?

Thanks

sorry but there is no way to sugar coat this, other than your immediate development, the town is a dump.
60% hispanic is too low, the undocumented were not counted.
the public schools are poor at best.
There is a downtown but like all low income downtowns it is full of dollar stores, fast food places and check cashing places, I wouldn't advise walking around town at night.

the pioneers take all the arrows

Last edited by kort677; 05-21-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM

133 posts, read 713,041 times
Perth Amboy is a dump, I agree.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
While HarborTown itself is a pretty nice development, you're still in Perth Amboy. Maybe for 20-somethings with no kids it's a cool place to live, but the schools in Perth Amboy suck to say the least. The town is an Abbott district, and was slated to have hundreds of millions of dollars poured into it for new schools under the NJSCC program. Only a few schools actually got built before the state managed to **** away the whole $8 billion, and those schools already look like crap because no one cares about them. You can spend as much as you want to build new schools in places like Perth Amboy, Newark and Camden (and trust me, they spend 3x what they needed to), and the students will still wreck them in short order.

If you've got kids, I'd seriously look elsewhere, unless there's some truly compelling reason that you have to be in Perth Amboy.

Bob

Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhana View Post

Thanks
After buying a house...NOW, you're asking about the neighborhood?

Hispanic population is over 75% and crime is well above the national average.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
After buying a house...NOW, you're asking about the neighborhood?
I was wondering about the backwards logic in that concept as well....lol

Bob

Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,980 times
Harbortown is rental of 2br and 3br, and the best places in term of price in the whole area. Where can you rent a nice brand new 3br townhouse for only $1,400 ? With nice view?

I am in that area all the time and saw it built from all the dirts, and the whole town is chancing ... For your 4 year old daughter, it is unlikely for her to go out of the nice Harbortown Community.

While you living there, visit the renovated board walk area at the water, and may be do some fishing there, and you will get to know many amigos and find out almost all of them are very nice ... And learn Spanish while you are living in town, you got lots of chance to practice your Spanish.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
Here is the reason. For wealthy people, they find the town first and worry about money later, that's why you see lots of Americans end up could not pay rent or lots of other bills.

For other people, they worry about money first, so they find what they can afford first then work out other issues. Like I got someone relocating from Iowa. He told me the best and affordable places he could find from Iowa is this Harbortown Perth Amboy.

Perth Amboy has a very nice senior center that has around hundreds Indian seniors, the service is great, but cost little. So, if you can quote all the negative with hispanic people, you may appreciate the low cost they charge on most of their services.

When I watched Superman 3, I was surprised that Superman, which may be represent mainstream American thoughts, at the end did not tell Sandman, "Don't worry, I would try to help your daughter."

Believe or not, if you worry about your 4 year old daughter, the last thing you want to worry is Spanish Speaking people, since very likely you will find a baby sitter are spanish speaking lady... and, who knows, when you get older, you will hire an in house lady to help you, and it is also Spanish speaking people...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Here is the reason. For wealthy people, they find the town first and worry about money later, that's why you see lots of Americans end up could not pay rent or lots of other bills.

that was incoherent and is incredibly foolish.

it not the spanish speakers that is the problem, it is the crimminal element that is the problem, it is the drug infested neighborhoods that is the problem, it is the terrible school system that is the problem, it is the level of poverty that is the problem.
You are trying to make this into a racial or bigotry issue, it isn't.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
i live in perth amboy and its nothing but problems they shot 5 people yesterday 5/26/07 and killed 2 of the 5 i live down the street from the bar where it happened im leaving the city its just not safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey