Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
You must be kidding right ??
I just got back from there for the 4th time in this past year. Never have I seen so many cars on the road with plastic/duct taped windows, bashed in fenders and blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust system. As a guess I'd say that 1 out of 20 cars I see on Florida roads would NEVER pass a general safety and pollution examination. I certainly am NOT a fan of our DMV but I will say it's come a long way from the 60's when the morons that worked there went outta there way to reject everything...thereby insuring their job security. Having said that however, the cars on Florida roads are a great example of how things will degenerate if left up to the low lifes of the world to set the standards.
I have no idea where you were but in my part of FLA that isn't the norm, for one thing there is no reason for anyone in FAL to have a broken windshield in Fla, the insurance companies are required to pay for a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Only NJ and Oregon can the consumer not touch the gas pump.

I was a kid in 74 or so when the fake phony gas crisis was going on. You remember the odd/even days and all that. I was 16 years old pumping gas at the old Hess on Rahway Av and Rt 1, where there now is a transfer station.

We had lines for miles. $5.00 limit on gas. So people would beg me for more. I said you take care of me and I take care of you. They would hand me a $20 bill for $10 of gas. Same thing for the odd/even day. I would tell them I can not give them gas today. They would show me a $10 bill and I would say nothing but stick the pump into their car and pump away.

I was 16 years old in 1974 and making $150-250 a day in tips plus my $2.50/hr mimumum wage. We did work real hard without a break. You can not take a break when the cars were lined down the right lane of Rt 1 for 2 miles.

Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:18 AM

69 posts, read 237,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
Yikes, reading through some of the other replies, it's no wonder there aren't more Libertarians in this area. I didn't read every post, but I didn't see a single one talking about the fact that by there being a law about this, the government is forcing a particular situation that should be consensual instead. Gas stations should have full service or full service only if they want to, and shouldn't be forced to do it if they do not want to. If someone wants to pump their own gas, they should be able to go to a gas station (or open one themselves if none exist) where they can do this. If you want full service, you should be able to go to a gas station that VOLUNTARILY offers it, and if no station does, you should be able to open your own that does. It sure as hell shouldn't be that you like full service and it would be more expensive if self service was allowed, so you're going to force everyone else to have to have full service.
You're absolutely right. Everyone should have the choice, with it costing the same either way.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Nighthawk112005 I have been having my gas pumped in NJ for about 26 years and I have never had any of the problems you mention.

Do you get your car serviced, they are touching your car, have you had your car inspected in NJ - they touch your car. And they are getting in your car now.

Don't you use your credit card at other places are you afraid of credit card scam there?

But as someone has said, if you go to the same gas station and get to know the person they will let you get out and pump your own gas.
I've spent most of my time in Virginia and Missouri, and servicing my car falls under the list of things that I do not know how to do. Therefore, I trust those people to do their job well.

I know how to pump gas, and I know that I can do a better job than an attendant. Therefore, I do NOT trust attendants and would rather do the job myself.

Plus, with card scams, there is a receipt that must be signed at other places before the transaction is valid. I don't have to worry about a scam there, because I can get any problems fixed before I sign the receipt. I don't have that at gas stations.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
dude, seriously, if this completely silly thing bothers you - live in PA and commute here. that way you won't have to worry about some "stranger" touching your precious car. it is absolutely unbelieveable what gets people riled up.
If it's cheaper to live on the Pennsylvania side, I'd do that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if you have so many worries, just get out of your car, watch the guy pump the fuel and make sure everything is done to your satisfaction.
I would do this anyway if I was fueling in NJ. It might be an acceptable alternative if I have to live east of Trenton to save money.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i never saw a more determined bunch in my life---what is the big deal about having someone else pump the gas for you??!! just please explain it to me. what are you afraid of?
I been reading and reading and I finally found just the right post to respond to. Lucky you !!

What's the big deal you ask? First off if you do it yourself you do not have to deal with some snot nosed kid coming to your car who either does not speak or he speaks with a fork tougue. Whether you are in a good or bad mood, would you want that coming to your car window?

The other thing is about 90% of gas stations are owned by foreigners. While some of them are from friendly countries, some are not. They hate our guts but want our money. They can not speak English except for 3 words: Regular, mid grade or high test. Thank you is not in their language. In fact you have to usually check for hand grenades some times.

I would rather not have to deal with any humans some mornings. Leave me alone. Come on you all feel that way some times dontcha? Some snot giving you change by throwing it into your window. Some nasty man who will not talk to you if you ask a question.

How about this? You need gas. You pull into a station with no other cars getting gas. You stop at the pump and you look into the station window to see some punk just starring at you with the dirtiest nastiest look. He dont want to move. You made him get up. How dare you. You know he is going to be nasty to you when he finally gets to your car.

Let me do another one: You own a nice car. You actually care about it by not parking next to people in parking lots. You ever see a car where there are hundreds of dings all around the gas lid? How can you miss the filler hole? The damn thing is huge? Gas pumpers will stab and stab and stab before getting the nozzle into the filler. There are more dings around the gas lid then door dings from parking lot nazis.

How bout owning a Corvette? Would you want some punk dripping gas on your trunk lid? Shame on Chevy for putting the filler up there anyway.

That is why I would rather do it myself.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I been reading and reading and I finally found just the right post to respond to. Lucky you !!

What's the big deal you ask? First off if you do it yourself you do not have to deal with some snot nosed kid coming to your car who either does not speak or he speaks with a fork tougue. Whether you are in a good or bad mood, would you want that coming to your car window?

The other thing is about 90% of gas stations are owned by foreigners. While some of them are from friendly countries, some are not. They hate our guts but want our money. They can not speak English except for 3 words: Regular, mid grade or high test. Thank you is not in their language. In fact you have to usually check for hand grenades some times.

I would rather not have to deal with any humans some mornings. Leave me alone. Come on you all feel that way some times dontcha? Some snot giving you change by throwing it into your window. Some nasty man who will not talk to you if you ask a question.

How about this? You need gas. You pull into a station with no other cars getting gas. You stop at the pump and you look into the station window to see some punk just starring at you with the dirtiest nastiest look. He dont want to move. You made him get up. How dare you. You know he is going to be nasty to you when he finally gets to your car.

Let me do another one: You own a nice car. You actually care about it by not parking next to people in parking lots. You ever see a car where there are hundreds of dings all around the gas lid? How can you miss the filler hole? The damn thing is huge? Gas pumpers will stab and stab and stab before getting the nozzle into the filler. There are more dings around the gas lid then door dings from parking lot nazis.

How bout owning a Corvette? Would you want some punk dripping gas on your trunk lid? Shame on Chevy for putting the filler up there anyway.

Oh for the love of pete, I have lived in NJ all my life and I never put this much thought into putting gas in my car.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Oh for the love of pete, I have lived in NJ all my life and I never put this much thought into putting gas in my car.

and this, my friends - is the best post in the thread! i'm with bill keegan, i don't know what's worse, that this thread even exists, or that i've contributed to it.

Last edited by tahiti; 02-23-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

it has never been as bad as you are making it to be. i have never had such problems...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 195,264 times
there is a law against it, but some places don't seem to mind if you do it yourself (like, if there's a long wait or something). maybe that's just me and i'm completely wrong, but i'm sure they don't mind -- gives them less to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey