Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,056 times

Advertisements

I use to rent in Franklin twp and I always had a strange mix/feeling of the poor/middle/upper class all mixed together but lived segregated and didn't interact.

Melee at Franklin High School dance leads to indictments against five people | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Is this an isolated incident or do kids these days really get into fights with officers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 AM

234 posts, read 939,698 times
Yep, that's pretty much what high schools are like today.

My brother, who lives in Franklin, is a retired high school guidance counselor (he worked in a different town) and he gave me a heads-up on this situation several years ago.

By the way, Franklin/Somerset is an interesting town. The better sections are really nice, and the not-so-good sections are really bad.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 45,260 times
Which sections are good and which sections are bad? I am thinking of moving to Franklin or possibly Hillsborough. Which one would you recommend for better resale values?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,980 times
Franklin Park, is very nice, Griggstown is nice, Millstone is nice.. now Somerset is okay to bad to worse as you get closer to New Brunswick..

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagodesi View Post
Franklin Park, is very nice, Griggstown is nice, Millstone is nice.. now Somerset is okay to bad to worse as you get closer to New Brunswick..
My best friend's uncle works for the township and is ecstatic that he doesn't live there. I asked him how the downtown area is, off Hamilton St and all, he says people get shot and killed there on a regular basis. With New Brunswick having been fixed up and revitalized, Somerset has some blocks that are now more crime-ridden than any street in New Brunswick. You also have to remember gang-transporting as well, moving people out of the city to fix it up.

The new HS for New Brunswick is also open now, right on the border, to make matters worse.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaym8 View Post
Which sections are good and which sections are bad? I am thinking of moving to Franklin or possibly Hillsborough. Which one would you recommend for better resale values?
Without a doubt, Hillsborough would be better resale. There is really no comparison.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
My best friend's uncle works for the township and is ecstatic that he doesn't live there. I asked him how the downtown area is, off Hamilton St and all, he says people get shot and killed there on a regular basis. With New Brunswick having been fixed up and revitalized, Somerset has some blocks that are now more crime-ridden than any street in New Brunswick. You also have to remember gang-transporting as well, moving people out of the city to fix it up.

The new HS for New Brunswick is also open now, right on the border, to make matters worse.
Somerset is nothing like New Brunswick. The only "revitalized" spaces in NB are around the college. Tell your BFF's unlce to drive down Suydam or Livingston or French on a hot summer day...then do the same down Hamilton..while it changes into Amwell....

HUGE difference.

The NB HS is on the border, but there is a busy Route 27, plus a lot of security, that keeps the NB trash where it needs to be. On the NB side of town.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 04-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Your BFF's uncle is an idiot if that's what he told you.

Somerset is nothing like New Brunswick. The only "revitalized" spaces in NB are around the college. Tell your BFF's unlce to drive down Suydam or Livingston or French on a hot summer day...then do the same down Hamilton..while it changes into Amwell....

HUGE difference.

The NB HS is on the border, but there is a busy Route 27, plus a lot of security, that keeps the NB trash where it needs to be. On the NB side of town.
I know the whole city, am in and out of there constantly, lived there once for three months (corner of High and Somerset to be exact) and nothing has ever happened to me. My best friend lived on Delafield with his girlfriend for years, until this fall when they broke up. We've never been crime victims, don't know anyone or of anyone in the area who has been.

Yes, Livingston Ave, Suydam St. etc is typically the "bad" side of town. Remsen Ave, above Suydam, is the most crime-ridden street in the whole city. I've gone on daily runs through this area in the daytime and have never felt threatened, never been stared at like I was in the wrong neighborhood or any of that (unlike a time when I was in Pennsauken). I'd stay out of there at night, that's all. You live around here in the general area, soon enough you know what streets to stay off of.

I now live in North Brunswick, in a basement apartment on Newton St off Livingston Ave and this section of North Brunswick is where you see all of the cops. The huge police station on Hermann Rd keeps the junk out of here. As opposed to Franklin cops hanging out in shopping centers down 27 by the Steinmart looking to write tickets.

I'd rather live ON Livingston Ave in North Brunswick - the stretch of it along those few blocks where New Brunswick is the other side of the road - than ANYWHERE in Franklin.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I know the whole city, am in and out of there constantly, lived there once for three months (corner of High and Somerset to be exact) and nothing has ever happened to me. My best friend lived on Delafield with his girlfriend for years, until this fall when they broke up. We've never been crime victims, don't know anyone or of anyone in the area who has been.

Yes, Livingston Ave, Suydam St. etc is typically the "bad" side of town. Remsen Ave, above Suydam, is the most crime-ridden street in the whole city. I've gone on daily runs through this area in the daytime and have never felt threatened, never been stared at like I was in the wrong neighborhood or any of that (unlike a time when I was in Pennsauken). I'd stay out of there at night, that's all. You live around here in the general area, soon enough you know what streets to stay off of.

I now live in North Brunswick, in a basement apartment on Newton St off Livingston Ave and this section of North Brunswick is where you see all of the cops. The huge police station on Hermann Rd keeps the junk out of here. As opposed to Franklin cops hanging out in shopping centers down 27 by the Steinmart looking to write tickets.

I'd rather live ON Livingston Ave in North Brunswick - the stretch of it along those few blocks where New Brunswick is the other side of the road - than ANYWHERE in Franklin.
Why? I live in Franklin and I wouldn't rent a house, let a lone buy one on "that side" of the town. My "side of town" draws the line at JFK.

What's a "Steinmart"?

I own a business on Hamilton. So I get it. I know it. I live it. Have lived it since the family opened it 38 years ago. I know the families of the kids who got shot and stabbed a few years ago (the incidents were very close together). I also know, there is no way in hell I'd live in New Brunswick.

I USED to live in North Brunswick. In Governor's Pointe...before it became the trash fest that it is now (after they knocked down the Rt 18 projects and had to send the residents somewhere...right on over to where it was clean and nice) back in the late 90's...and apparently has gotten just that much worse.

I'm a landlord to RU students. Have been for years. I've got properties all over New Brunswick (not a lot, but the 3 I have are spread out). You couldn't pay ME to buy a property on Livingston. North or New side.

But good for you.

I'm glad it's working out for you and you are happy. Just watch yourself. You aren't in la-la land, you're in gang-land/crapville and you know you are.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Your BFF's uncle is an idiot if that's what he told you.

HUGE difference.
Wow, I actually agree with JerseyG on a Somerset issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey