Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM

268 posts, read 761,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks2009 View Post
Hi everyone,

For those of you who have had central a/c installed in their homes, I'd be grateful if you could give me an idea of whether the following quote sounds reasonable:

Installation of a Carrier Performance system in a 2,000 SF home in Northern NJ, one zone, no existing ductwork, registers placed on first floor, second floor and in attic.

After federal, state, utility and manufacturer rebates, the cost would be $12,500.

Thanks in advance.
That doesn't sound too bad. For a replacement system (no duct work necessary) I was recently quoted $9,800 for Trane 16 seer system with an Aprilaire cleaner. That doesn't not include the $1500 tax credit, so if you were to include that it would be $8300 less taxes.

I think depending on how your house is setup it can be quite labor intensive to install the ducts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 21,125 times
Thanks. I think the price is in the ballpark. I will probably get another estimate or two just to have a basis for comparison.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times
Not looking to hijack the thread but would anyone care to comment on ductless vs. conventional forced air systems vs. high velocity systems?

I was surprised to find out ductless systems are actually the most expensive (for multiple units to cool the entire house). That was our original idea to avoid ductwork.

Now we are leaning towards a high velocity systems: spacepak or unico but does anyone know how expensive they are compared to a conventional system?

We have a 1700 sq. ft modular cape with hardly any room for ductwork. It's possible but seems like high velocity would make the install so much easier.

Just concerned about cost....

thx!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM

22 posts, read 23,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
Not looking to hijack the thread but would anyone care to comment on ductless vs. conventional forced air systems vs. high velocity systems?

I was surprised to find out ductless systems are actually the most expensive (for multiple units to cool the entire house). That was our original idea to avoid ductwork.

Now we are leaning towards a high velocity systems: spacepak or unico but does anyone know how expensive they are compared to a conventional system?

We have a 1700 sq. ft modular cape with hardly any room for ductwork. It's possible but seems like high velocity would make the install so much easier.

Just concerned about cost....

thx!
What system did you end up going with? Thx.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Does this price include electrical changes? I think AC systems run on 220 volts.

I think this is an OK price if it includes everything. We paid $8,500 for a replacement Trane system in a 1800 sq foot house. The installation included all new horizontal duct work in the attic. The rest of the duct work and the 220 volts electrical outlet already existed. They AC company still called in the electrician that was included in the price of installation. He installed/wired one more outside outlet next to the AC unit and added more lights in the attic. Not sure if he did anything else. I didn't really want to follow his every step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey