Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 AM

531 posts, read 2,900,620 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me why the gas tax in NJ is so low? For a state with such severe financial problems, it seems illogical to me that we have the 2nd lowest gas prices in the entire country (only S. Carolina is lower). Wouldn't many of our current problems be solved or at least somewhat solved if a 10 cent/gallon tax were added to gas prices? I don't know what the overall impact of 10 cents would be, but on an individual basis it would be quite small ($1.50 extra per fill up, in my case).

What is the background on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,754,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Can someone explain to me why the gas tax in NJ is so low? For a state with such severe financial problems, it seems illogical to me that we have the 2nd lowest gas prices in the entire country (only S. Carolina is lower). Wouldn't many of our current problems be solved or at least somewhat solved if a 10 cent/gallon tax were added to gas prices? I don't know what the overall impact of 10 cents would be, but on an individual basis it would be quite small ($1.50 extra per fill up, in my case).

What is the background on this?
Just what we need..another tax increase....lol
I don't know why but the gas tax in NJ has always been low....maybe because of the refineries??? I think 10 cents is a stretch but I wouldn't be bothered by 5 cents to start

Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times
If & When the Gas Tax is raised by 10cents it would only pay for Rail Projects and Road Maintenance. The Refinery's have nothing to do with it , Corruption and greed is the reason its so low. Oil's influence on Jersey Politics.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If & When the Gas Tax is raised by 10cents it would only pay for Rail Projects and Road Maintenance. The Refinery's have nothing to do with it , Corruption and greed is the reason its so low. Oil's influence on Jersey Politics.
By refineries in the state....I meant it may be the reason NJ's gas is always the lowest in the country because of the low tax & the refineries here...sheesh corruption & greed usually mean higher costs not lower

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
By refineries in the state....I meant it may be the reason NJ's gas is always the lowest in the country because of the low tax & the refineries here...sheesh corruption & greed usually mean higher costs not lower
Sister you got it all wrong They get away form paying higher taxes. Anyway, yes we will always remain one of the lowest, but the Gas Tax will be raised sometime this decade.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Sister you got it all wrong They get away form paying higher taxes. Anyway, yes we will always remain one of the lowest, but the Gas Tax will be raised sometime this decade.
I'm scratching my head here....who are you referring too??

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm scratching my head here....who are you referring too??
The Refinery's

Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM

153 posts, read 489,044 times
I just love the idea of paying a higher gas tax so that the money can be spent on public transportation which I never use.

New Jersey residents cannot afford ANY increased taxes no matter what sort of tax it is. And the worst part is that the money wouldn't even necessarily go to road maintenance. That's the reason why New Jersey hasn't yet put tolls in I-78, I-80/280 and I-195: Interstate highways come under a special federal law that says tolls must be used for maintenance on that specific highway. Since NJ wants to use the money for public transportation and/or just put it in the General Fund, they know the feds will never approve it so they don't bother.

Honestly, if you want a REAL tax revolt in this state, mess with the gas tax. With prices rising, it is absolutely unconscionable to make this state even MORE expensive for working families by raising yet another tax.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM

531 posts, read 2,900,620 times
It's been two decades since the gas tax was last raised. Only a few states have gone longer without an increase.

10 cents per gallon will result in half a billion of increased state revenue. And maybe $5 bucks/month extra out of the average citizen's pocket each month, tops. If someone can't swing that, then they have bigger problems. And really, when gas was over $4/gallon, I didn't see any less of you on the roads. So 10 cents/gallon is a reasonable increase.

Everyone needs to stop looking at "tax" as a 4 letter word. Yes, taxes in this state are a problem, specifically property tax. But this is a low cost solution which will help generate a big hunk of much needed money and will have minimal impact on the average citizen. We are in crisis mode people, something has to give.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
I just love the idea of paying a higher gas tax so that the money can be spent on public transportation which I never use.

New Jersey residents cannot afford ANY increased taxes no matter what sort of tax it is. And the worst part is that the money wouldn't even necessarily go to road maintenance. That's the reason why New Jersey hasn't yet put tolls in I-78, I-80/280 and I-195: Interstate highways come under a special federal law that says tolls must be used for maintenance on that specific highway. Since NJ wants to use the money for public transportation and/or just put it in the General Fund, they know the feds will never approve it so they don't bother.

Honestly, if you want a REAL tax revolt in this state, mess with the gas tax. With prices rising, it is absolutely unconscionable to make this state even MORE expensive for working families by raising yet another tax.
LOL , never use is up to you....but by 2030 , you will be able to reach every NJ County by Train or Every small town by Bus. Every City will have Light Rail and between them....The majority of New Jerseyites want more PT not less. I'm sure when gas prices go up , you be with the masses fleeing to PT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey