Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,343,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The point being that is why he felt safe..in two small sections of Newark. Those two neighborhoods do NOT represent Newark as a whole.
Who said it did?
And last I checked, the Ironbound isn't a small section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Who said it did?
And last I checked, the Ironbound isn't a small section.
What ever...it isn't huge either

you would have to look at the JC photos the o/p commented on....same types of photos just different city..he was critical because same as his photos there weren't many people.......if taken on weekend or dead of winter there aren't going to be many people walking about in a downtown area..meaning a business area

Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,275,100 times
A big part of the problem is that nobody actually LIVES in downtown Newark. Add to that, the fact that there is no quality retail in the area, or restaurants outside of the Ironbound. You need to ATTRACT people, and Dollar Stores aren't going to cut it. The type of retail that is there now on Broad and Market is the type of retail that attracts bargain hunters and to be brutally honest this is the lower class of people that currently LIVES in Newark.

The challenge with gentrification is "chicken and egg". In order to attract professional people to live in a place, you really need SOME sort of semblance of ameneties that professional people enjoy -- maybe a nice cafe, 2 or 3 DECENT bars, nice views, good retail, etc. BUT....UNTIL that "gentrifying" crowd actually ARRIVES -- there is really no market for such retail and amenities, and therefore such businesses will have a very hard time staying afloat, and are likely to fail.

Believe me, I've seen the gentrification in JC over the years, and Hoboken earlier. It's a tricky game, gentrification. You kind of have to catch lightening in a bottle. What pushed Hoboken and JC through is LOCATION.

Newark's best bet at the moment is to cater to the out-of-towners, who are mostly professionals. The people who come to Devils games. Seton Hall games. The people who work in downtown Newark. Somebody needs to open up a few places that cater to the happy hour crowd, and the pre- and post-game crowds. This is a big part of how JC did it, with the corporate crowd.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Not many people out & about for a vibrant city..and of course you felt safe in the area you were in...I don't see any pictures of the "hoods" in Newark
I mean, FWIW, why would someone go out and photograph pictures of hoods anyway?

---------------------------------------------

Internet says the Ironbound is approx. 4 sq mi. In a city that only has approx. 23 sq mi of land (a lot of which is devoted to the airport) any 4 sq mi area isn't small by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by 66nexus; 05-12-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
A big part of the problem is that nobody actually LIVES in downtown Newark. Add to that, the fact that there is no quality retail in the area, or restaurants outside of the Ironbound. You need to ATTRACT people, and Dollar Stores aren't going to cut it. The type of retail that is there now on Broad and Market is the type of retail that attracts bargain hunters and to be brutally honest this is the lower class of people that currently LIVES in Newark.

The challenge with gentrification is "chicken and egg". In order to attract professional people to live in a place, you really need SOME sort of semblance of ameneties that professional people enjoy -- maybe a nice cafe, 2 or 3 DECENT bars, nice views, good retail, etc. BUT....UNTIL that "gentrifying" crowd actually ARRIVES -- there is really no market for such retail and amenities, and therefore such businesses will have a very hard time staying afloat, and are likely to fail.

Believe me, I've seen the gentrification in JC over the years, and Hoboken earlier. It's a tricky game, gentrification. You kind of have to catch lightening in a bottle. What pushed Hoboken and JC through is LOCATION.

Newark's best bet at the moment is to cater to the out-of-towners, who are mostly professionals. The people who come to Devils games. Seton Hall games. The people who work in downtown Newark. Somebody needs to open up a few places that cater to the happy hour crowd, and the pre- and post-game crowds. This is a big part of how JC did it, with the corporate crowd.
Never of heard of Brick City Bar/Grill? Or the Arena Bar? Theatre Sq? Look at Newark's Zagat restaurant guide (yes it has one) there are more than a handful of restaurants in it that are not in the Ironbound.

Believe it or not, Newark actually does cater to out-of-towners. Don't know if you've ever stayed after a Devils game but places like Hobby's and the like are swimming with Devil's fans and the corporate crowd.

As far as 'quality retail', it is indeed there...problem is...it's swimming amongst the low-dollar retail.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Never of heard of Brick City Bar/Grill? Or the Arena Bar? Theatre Sq? Look at Newark's Zagat restaurant guide (yes it has one) there are more than a handful of restaurants in it that are not in the Ironbound.

Believe it or not, Newark actually does cater to out-of-towners. Don't know if you've ever stayed after a Devils game but places like Hobby's and the like are swimming with Devil's fans and the corporate crowd.

As far as 'quality retail', it is indeed there...problem is...it's swimming amongst the low-dollar retail.
Must be well hidden or not captured in the photos because except for 1 Starbucks, an Irish Pub and a Japanese restaurant the place is swimming in the 2010 version of John's Bargain Stores

Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Foot Locker, RiteAid, Gamestop (better than that optic eye store it replaced), BofA (immediate opposite Gamestop), Chase, Modell's, AT&T

Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Nex

You do have several good shots..you should go enter one in the "My Home State" May photography contest in the photography forum

Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Foot Locker, RiteAid, Gamestop (better than that optic eye store it replaced), BofA (immediate opposite Gamestop), Chase, Modell's, AT&T
Not to be nit picky but BOA & Chase are banks...I don't really consider At&T retail as for the rest yes name brands but not quality retail imo

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Not to be nit picky but BOA & Chase are banks...I don't really consider At&T retail as for the rest yes name brands but not quality retail imo
I list those simply for the following reasons:

With all the discount stores, the presence of nationally known banks at least can give some sense of store-front credibility. I would take banks over half of those stores there.

If Foot Locker/Modells etc. isn't quality retail than I don't exactly know what we're fishing for here. I mean, of course, they're not 'high-end' like perhaps the once-upon-a-time Macy's but they're not low-dollar stores either.

I mean...as far as Gamestop...what else is there (as far as video game stores?) Besides Foot Locker...what else is there (as far as sporting goods? Dick's? eh)

What exactly is a standard of quality retail when measured against the swaths of low-dollar retail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey