Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I list those simply for the following reasons:

With all the discount stores, the presence of nationally known banks at least can give some sense of store-front credibility. I would take banks over half of those stores there.

If Foot Locker/Modells etc. isn't quality retail than I don't exactly know what we're fishing for here. I mean, of course, they're not 'high-end' like perhaps the once-upon-a-time Macy's but they're not low-dollar stores either.

I mean...as far as Gamestop...what else is there (as far as video game stores?) Besides Foot Locker...what else is there (as far as sporting goods? Dick's? eh)

What exactly is a standard of quality retail when measured against the swaths of low-dollar retail?
Points well taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Points well taken
cool beans lol

Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Jeez , i go to bed and this grows by 2 pages. Another reason there wasn't crowds , it was very windy. Gusts up to 60mph , thats why i left early. The City needs more Shopping and residences downtown. But were coming out of a Recession what do really expect , Newark really had alot going before the recession hopefully it comes back. There's no doubt that Newark has a bright future , actually all of NJ's cities do. Since White / Black Flight is reversing itself , Newark's growth should accelerate. Next time i go to Newark in 2-4 weeks i'll do University Heights , Forest Hills , SODO , all of the Ironbound , Harrison , Kearny JCT & alot of Transit.

Up Next : Ironbound part 2 & A Trainview out of Newark

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Nex

When in IB see if you can find 317 Ferry St..it was down the road from the brewery, forget which one...if you can find it snap a pic..lived there as a child....also St Benedicts Church on Barbara St..that's where I made my communion.....

thx

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Nex

When in IB see if you can find 317 Ferry St..it was down the road from the brewery, forget which one...if you can find it snap a pic..lived there as a child....also St Benedicts Church on Barbara St..that's where I made my communion.....

thx
Next time , i'm down there i will. I think the brewery is being converted into lofts and your house is still there. If its the same 3 story home. I pass by it when i go to Jersey City via the long way.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Next time , i'm down there i will. I think the brewery is being converted into lofts and your house is still there. If its the same 3 story home. I pass by it when i go to Jersey City via the long way.
Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks
You can type it into Google Maps & look at it on Streetview. The area should be in HD by late summer.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Never of heard of Brick City Bar/Grill? Or the Arena Bar? Theatre Sq? Look at Newark's Zagat restaurant guide (yes it has one) there are more than a handful of restaurants in it that are not in the Ironbound.

Believe it or not, Newark actually does cater to out-of-towners. Don't know if you've ever stayed after a Devils game but places like Hobby's and the like are swimming with Devil's fans and the corporate crowd.

As far as 'quality retail', it is indeed there...problem is...it's swimming amongst the low-dollar retail.
I guess I just never noticed...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Foot Locker, RiteAid, Gamestop (better than that optic eye store it replaced), BofA (immediate opposite Gamestop), Chase, Modell's, AT&T
I guess my point is that those stores aren't the type of retail that is attractive to the class of people you'd need to bring in for Newark to "turn around".

Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I guess my point is that those stores aren't the type of retail that is attractive to the class of people you'd need to bring in for Newark to "turn around".
Sure they are...considering that most of the retail is catered toward the low dollar figure crowd, middle-class retail is exactly what Newark needs.

Newark doesn't need the elites right away. What it needs is a larger middle class (which makes for a much more stable tax base). After that's established it is then, that the city can start wooing elite types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey