Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

[quote=blackandproud;14337371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Sorry the law doesn't allow the governor to do what you want him to do. Christie is forcing the municipalities to decide if they want to raise taxes to fill the gap left by less state aid or if they would like to explore other options like consolidation. If they choose to raise taxes they will have to explain themselves to the voters.

Also not every municipality would benefit from consolidation but everyone benefits from a teacher pay freeze.[/quote]

Your right, it is tedious to play this round of deflection with YOU.

You have continuously made statements that YOU have YET to back up. Even made the statement that the towns would not benefit from consolidation without BACKING IT UP. How do you know? Where are the stats? What was the ratio by expense and capital?

Unless you have inside information to what Trenton is working on, I see this as YET ANOTHER statement by YOU that your pulling out of ....But then your looking to me to provide stats on the same Questions that numerous people are asking, have been asking for years.

At least I know the difference between asking a question and inquiring on why something is NOT looked at instead of someone that makes a statement, tries to pass it off as fact, but then attempt to deflect and spinn when called on the BS.

OK here you go your idea stinks and will wind up costing more.

http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/c...ments/9331.pdf

"[M]any of the case studies on consolidations in both the U.S. and Canada over the last 20 years have failed to find significant economies of scale for most municipal services. The findings from
]these and other studies have shown that costs for many services actually go up following large municipal consolidations" (p. 3) 1
"There is general agreement that consolidation has not reduced costs (as predicted by some reform advocates) and in fact, may have even increased total local expenditures…Gustely found that expenditures rose after the Dade county consolidation. Benton and Gamble came to the same conclusions in their study of Jacksonville. Erie and colleagues reviewed a range of consolidation efforts and concluded that "the net effect of restructuring is a per capita increase in service costs," which they attribute to an increase in average service levels." (p. 106)5 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]"In recent years, economists have endorsed the fragmented, decentralized model. They have concluded that competition between numerous adjoining jurisdictions keeps total expenditures down in metropolitan areas. The multiplicity of local governments allows for contracting among jurisdictions for services when local elected officials determine buying from a neighbor is less costly than producing the service in-house. The end result is a "local public economy" — a quiltwork of service deliveries determined by decentralized elected officials who are responsive to their voters."6
"A review of 25 research studies conducted over the past two decades on "fragmentation" versus centralization in U.S. local governments suggests "local government systems which are fragmented and de-concentrated are generally associated with lower spending and greater efficiency." The power of bureaucracies grows the larger the centralized government becomes. This is evident in the difficulty locally elected officials have in privatizing municipal services in large cities. They are hemmed in by empire-building bureaucracies and government employee unions, which are stronger in the larger… municipalities."6 "

I know it is only Harvard but give it up already.

Oh and your grand original idea was reviewed in NJ 3 years ago.

http://www.njslom.org/magart0507_p32.html

"Professor Slack spoke convincingly about the reasons why consolidation should not be used to save money. She did however speak strongly in favor of consolidation to advance more rational transportation and land use planning on a regional scale. However, she warned the Joint Committee members that consolidation will not save any money: in reality it will probably cost more. If saving money is the Legislature’s intent, she advised that the Legislature should abandon the pursuit immediately. The Joint Committee did not heed her advice."

You can apologize any time now.

By the way it took me all of three minutes to find this. With all your harping about this one would have thought you might have taken some time to see if you were even in the right ball park. What a disgrace!

Last edited by shorebaby; 05-25-2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM

[quote=blackandproud;14337371]
Quote:
Sorry the law doesn't allow the governor to do what you want him to do. Christie is forcing the municipalities to decide if they want to raise taxes to fill the gap left by less state aid or if they would like to explore other options like consolidation. If they choose to raise taxes they will have to explain themselves to the voters.

Also not every municipality would benefit from consolidation but everyone benefits from a teacher pay freeze.[/quote]

Your right, it is tedious to play this round of deflection with YOU.

You have continuously made statements that YOU have YET to back up. Even made the statement that the towns would not benefit from consolidation without BACKING IT UP. How do you know? Where are the stats? What was the ratio by expense and capital?

Unless you have inside information to what Trenton is working on, I see this as YET ANOTHER statement by YOU that your pulling out of ....But then your looking to me to provide stats on the same Questions that numerous people are asking, have been asking for years.

At least I know the difference between asking a question and inquiring on why something is NOT looked at instead of someone that makes a statement, tries to pass it off as fact, but then attempt to deflect and spinn when called on the BS.

Ok now that your nonsense has been thoroughly demolished I expect you to be on board with Christie's cuts.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Nope not anti teacher, I believe their union is not serving them or the state well.

If teachers are not in it for the money why are the whining about a freeze? Let's stop treating teachers as super human, they care about how much they make as much as the next person. Yes they perform a valuable service and deserve to be compensated, I don't recall anyone asking them to work for free.

The union apologists have truely become unhinged. I think this type of post is highly instructive. Either you argree with the union or you are a right wing nut.
You are a right wing nut. Sorry if it offends you. I am a bleeding heart liberal. No big deal, accept what you are.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You are a right wing nut. Sorry if it offends you. I am a bleeding heart liberal. No big deal, accept what you are.

Ha ha I am actually quite moderate. If wishing to avoid bankruptcy makes one a right wing nut, I imagine this very blue state is filled with right wing nuts. But again name calling has replaced actual argument by the Christie haters because they have no ideas to argue.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
Ok, OP teachers in many districts, are making wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than 35K, let's up that to 80 or 90K in Manalapan/Marlboro/ Freehold schools, with STARTING salaries of 55-60K. To me that is too much. Where the hell do you think we are going to get $$$ from if we don't get it from schools. Here's the problem with taxing the rich:

Many Rich= Business owners. Buisness Owners= Employers. If you tax the rich large amounts of $$$ either
A. people would be laid off
B. Prices will go up, which will cause more whining and complaining from NJ.

I am one of the few students that agree with Christie 110%. Cuts need to be made somewhere, they were the fault of previous admins and the last time I checked he was the only one to attempt to make an effort to do something about this state's obvious defecit.
How true.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Shorebaby for governor. No, we need shorebaby for president because they are pi$$ing more money away then a drunken sailor on leave. People must wake up or our state and country will be like Greece and most other countries that like to give other peoples money away. It's simple folks. We can't have people retiring in their 40's and 50's and living to their 80's and 90's and having other fools pay the freight.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Shorebaby for governor. No, we need shorebaby for president because they are pi$$ing more money away then a drunken sailor on leave. People must wake up or our state and country will be like Greece and most other countries that like to give other peoples money away. It's simple folks. We can't have people retiring in their 40's and 50's and living to their 80's and 90's and having other fools pay the freight.

I wish I could rep you again, this has been fun and hopefully instructive (drawing out the weak arguments of the left). I enjoy demolishing lefty silliness.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Ha ha I am actually quite moderate. If wishing to avoid bankruptcy makes one a right wing nut, I imagine this very blue state is filled with right wing nuts. But again name calling has replaced actual argument by the Christie haters because they have no ideas to argue.
Not sure what you would like me to say. Here is what I have proposed and you dont seem to like any of them

Salary freeze for all municipal employees who have not done so
Salary freeze for all state employees who have not done so
Raise the Gas Tax
"Millionaire Tax"
No more double dipping
Tenure for Superintendents so that we can lower their salaries 5 years
Tenure for teachers after 5 years

Crazy ideas!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Sounds like sour grapes. YOu should have become a state worker. Better luck in your next life.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM

By the way my wife is a teacher and her health insurance which she contributes to is 80% coverage. She picks up the 20% no matter how much it is. Is this considered a cadillac policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey