Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times

Advertisements

New Mexico, who would have thought, the first state to have two women run against each other for the top spot.
Diane Denish of Hobbs an anglo democrat candidate and Susana Martinez of Las Cruces the first latina to ever run for governor and have such a high lead in the polls.

Either way you like it, New Mexico WILL have a woman as our next governor.

So who will it be? Denish or Martinez. Who do you support? AND WHY!
Will it be close.... share with us on this historic race, taking place in the Land of Enchantment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
I hope it's Martinez, but I am not holding my breath. I think Denish will pull about 80% of the vote in the North Central NM counties, about 65% in Bernalillo, and that will offset what Martinez gain in the south and southwest part of the state. An intersting part of the vote will be the southeast, since that's where Denish is from. That's generally the most solidly conservative area of the state, but it's Denish's territory, and if she gets 50% of the vote in Lea, Eddy and Chaves county, I think that seals it for her.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Well, I was looking at total voters in Santa Fe county... 17,059 and only 13,497 votes for Denish... could this be that those voters dont like Denish and prefer Martinez? and then we had a write in candiate which took about 2,000 votes...

I think in north Central things will get interesting... Martinez wont win Santa Fe or Rio Arriba, but she will be pretty damn close! She will take Bernalillo county for sure and all of the south, except the hobbs area...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
New Mexico, who would have thought, the first state to have two women run against each other for the top spot.

No one should have thought...since it's already been done.

Twice.

Nebraska 1986

Hawaii 2002

And I am not sure what race/ethnicity has to do with anything in this race.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Well, I was looking at total voters in Santa Fe county... 17,059 and only 13,497 votes for Denish... could this be that those voters dont like Denish and prefer Martinez? and then we had a write in candiate which took about 2,000 votes...

I think in north Central things will get interesting... Martinez wont win Santa Fe or Rio Arriba, but she will be pretty damn close! She will take Bernalillo county for sure and all of the south, except the hobbs area...
She won't win Taos County, Mora, Guadalupe, McKinley, Cibola, or San Miguel counties either. Not that any of these really matters. The way it always shakes down is Bernalillo. You think Martinez can win Bernalillo, and I disagree. If Denish takes Bernalillo by 57-58% or less, then I think that improves Martinez's chances.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No one should have thought...since it's already been done.

Twice.

Nebraska 1986

Hawaii 2002

And I am not sure what race/ethnicity has to do with anything in this race.
Were they Latina vs. Anglo? Nah.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
She won't win Taos County, Mora, Guadalupe, McKinley, Cibola, or San Miguel counties either. Not that any of these really matters. The way it always shakes down is Bernalillo. You think Martinez can win Bernalillo, and I disagree. If Denish takes Bernalillo by 57-58% or less, then I think that improves Martinez's chances.
Compare how many more republicans went out...

View the reults at the NM SOS website.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,383 times
Quote:
Were they Latina vs. Anglo? Nah.

Your claim was that this was the first time two women had run against each other in a gubernatorial election.

You were wrong.

Maizie Hirano was one of the two women in Hawaii who ran for governor in their woman vs woman race. She was Asian. Her opponent was "Anglo"

Why the push to make this about race, ethnicity or sex?

How about two strong candidates running against each other, decisions based on policy, party, etc. and leave it at that?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Thats what the national news said, so don't come on here and start telling me that..

"Race, ethnicity or Sex?"
Where are you going with that.. we already said there was 2 women. So obviously not about sex.

Saying stuff we already know, why the fuss... just talk about the race.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Thats what the national news said, so don't come on here and start telling me that..

"Race, ethnicity or Sex?"
Where are you going with that.. we already said there was 2 women. So obviously not about sex.

Saying stuff we already know, why the fuss... just talk about the race.
You are the one who felt the need to emphasize their ethnic differences. You wrote:
"Diane Denish of Hobbs an anglo democrat candidate and Susana Martinez of Las Cruces the first latina to ever run for governor and have such a high lead in the polls."

I think it is fair question to ask why.

Anyway, the latest poll results:

Denish-Martinez race ‘remains in a virtual tie’, poll finds « New Mexico Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico