Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I guess I am a little easier going then you. My my do you carry your driver license with you OR does upset you too?
The New Mexico Drivers License is not proof of any citizenship. That is what this thread is about.

Rich

Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Now that Arizona is being sued over this law by the feds we may not have to worry about being harassed after crossing into Arizona. But I wonder, if I want to go to federal land in Arizona (like the Grand Canyon) or stay on the Navajo reservation, like to hop over to Monument Valley this summer, would the law be in effect in those places (if it takes effect at all)?
Quote:
Just carry your papers. Whats the big deal? That is what I did when I visited your country. I also lived oversees and saw no problem of carring papers. What is the problem with that. Your legal no one is going to bite you, we will be very happy to have you come and spend money in our depressed economy. This natiion loves everyone that is legal.

debbie at bouontiful, aries is from New Mexico, not the country you visited, Mexico.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Just carry your papers. Whats the big deal? That is what I did when I visited your country. I also lived oversees and saw no problem of carring papers. What is the problem with that. Your legal no one is going to bite you, we will be very happy to have you come and spend money in our depressed economy. This natiion loves everyone that is legal.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillonailes View Post
Yes, you can be sent to prison if you cannot produce "papers."
You may be detained until your identity and status is established. "sent to prison" is a different issue and is not covered like that in the document you referenced.

Rich

Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
cant one just carry a birth certificate, I dont see anything wrong or complicated with that, its just unfortunate that this is what it has come to, if the government had tackled the issue decades ago, we wouldnt have this whole issue with AZ and NM citizens being scared out of their mind to go.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
cant one just carry a birth certificate, I dont see anything wrong or complicated with that, its just unfortunate that this is what it has come to, if the government had tackled the issue decades ago, we wouldnt have this whole issue with AZ and NM citizens being scared out of their mind to go.

I am absolutely staggered by the amount of paranoia that people have over this law. And yes, I lived for many years in several countries that I was forced to show my "papers" on demand. Did I freak out over it, no, did I stay in the house all the time, no, I went about my life.

I agree Sun, this is an issue that has been building for decades and when people get tired of something, they tend to go overboard on fixing it.

And for those talking about the constitutionality of this law, I refer you to this:

The Fed lawsuit doesn't argue whether having to produce identification is constitutional or not, as that has already been determined in previous cases, but will argue strictly that the state overstepped their bounds into Federal jurisdiction.

Last edited by MG120; 07-09-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I am absolutely staggered by the amount of paranoia that people have over this law. And yes, I lived for many years in several countries that I was forced to show my "papers" on demand. Did I freak out over it, no, did I stay in the house all the time, no, I went about my life.

We were too and we didn't get crazy over it we just kept our papers on us.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
debbie at bouontiful, aries is from New Mexico, not the country you visited, Mexico.
Got it and I spend lots and lots of time In New Mexico and Arizona. I am curious as to why a State would give illegals driver license. I can't imagine the reasoning behind that. So, your saying illegals have driver lincense. Well, I guess we're asking for the problems we have then.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Got it and I spend lots and lots of time In New Mexico and Arizona. I am curious as to why a State would give illegals driver license. I can't imagine the reasoning behind that. So, your saying illegals have driver lincense. Well, I guess we're asking for the problems we have then.
Because issuance of drivers license is a state responsibility while immigration is the perview of the Federal government. States should have the right to determine their licensing policies and practices without being dictated to by the Federal Government. Next the feds will tell the states they can't issue marriage licenses to anyone who hasn't established legal presence or met some other Federal requirement. I'm glad to see NM standing up to Federal overreach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico