Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Good to see this thread come back to life. I have to decide this week to apply to Mora or not. I was thinking about it yesterday, a pretty good job, and we could probably find some nice property in the area. The east slope of the Sangres is fairly affordable and beautiful country for sure. If I go for it, we'd probably choose to live north of Las Vegas somewhere on property, but commutable for my wife into Vegas. Driving over the pass to Taos seems way too gnarly. Terrific for weekend trips, but not a commute I would want.

Biggest worry is about the kid. I have heard the kids in Las Vegas are pretty rough. Can't speak for Mora or the country schools. Kind of an interesting area, with the university and all the history. Not sure if he would be ratpacked as an anglo kid, or maybe it would be just fine.

I'll also look into Eagle's Nest. Great spot. Looks a bit far, but maybe it's not so bad.

We'll see. Great to hear more though. Keep the conversation going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Fiddlehead, I would seriously think twice about living in Eagle Nest and working in Mora. It's 45-50 miles and the winter drives up/down 434 can get pretty dicey. That road from Guadalupita south is narrow and twisty. We have a place in Angel Fire and I've driven that route often. Personally, the Black Lake area is about as far north as I would venture if I had to make that daily drive (and Black Lake is also not really a town).

Mora is one of those places where there's not much there there. You'd have to go into Las Vegas for any type of shopping, or maybe even the 60 miles into Taos or 100 into Santa Fe. I've been in Mora several times but never stayed for long (know someone who lives in a trailer outside of town way back up in the woods, as they say, and works in Las Vegas). It's not a place that I would choose to live and I urge you to visit before deciding.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Fiddlehead, I would seriously think twice about living in Eagle Nest and working in Mora. It's 45-50 miles and the winter drives up/down 434 can get pretty dicey. That road from Guadalupita south is narrow and twisty. We have a place in Angel Fire and I've driven that route often. Personally, the Black Lake area is about as far north as I would venture if I had to make that daily drive (and Black Lake is also not really a town).

Mora is one of those places where there's not much there there. You'd have to go into Las Vegas for any type of shopping, or maybe even the 60 miles into Taos or 100 into Santa Fe. I've been in Mora several times but never stayed for long (know someone who lives in a trailer outside of town way back up in the woods, as they say, and works in Las Vegas). It's not a place that I would choose to live and I urge you to visit before deciding.
Yea, after that post by NW Crow, I checked it out. Looks a bit long, and through snow country. Looks like living south of Mora (Las Vegas, Montezuma, Rociada, LeDoux) would be the only potentially viable plan for us. Looks like the only public schools are in Las Vegas, and they don't seem all that great.

Point taken about visiting first. I am pretty sure the job would involve an on-site interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico