Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 16,183 times

Advertisements

Torn between New Mexico and Colorado. Will be moving in the near future. Hope someone can tell me why choose Ruidoso over a mountain town in Colorado. I really love Ruidoso, but don't want that nasty reputation that some Texans are crowned with. How does a guy avoid it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,269 times
I think the issue is not so much "Texans" as what it is "outsiders" in general moving into any smaller area.
Best advice I can give you is to be a good neighbor and NEVER let the words "where I came from we did it this way" cross your lips.
Learn the way things are done in your new home town. If a person moves to a new area and then wants to change that area to match what they left the general feeling quickly becomes "if it was so great where you came from, why don't you go back"
I live in a town that is much smaller then Ruidoso and we get our fair share of "outsiders" Some move in and make it home, a large number move in, try to "improve" the area and then leave when they fail.
Best of luck to you.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM

185 posts, read 488,791 times
For what it's worth, we are transplants from Minnesota (i.e. "Yankees"-at least in the local's eyes) and really have no regrets moving to the area. Carrizozo yes, but that's another story. But Ruidoso is a well educated (and frankly generally well off) area and quite welcoming to non locals. Mr. Cat is 100% right, integrate into the area, get involved with churches and other areas of service, and you'll find it quite rewarding-and a fantastic place to call home! We did consider Arizona, and Colorado before deciding on Southern (emphasis here) New Mexico as the weather is great, taxes are reasonable, and mind set was pretty logical. Yes, you do hear grousing about the Texans, but I assure you we would miss y'all if you weren't here! And it's mostly in good fun anyway-not like the Californians!! (sorry Bay Area folks!)

Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1120 View Post
Torn between New Mexico and Colorado. Will be moving in the near future. Hope someone can tell me why choose Ruidoso over a mountain town in Colorado.
My own personal decision when considering retirement was a matter choice between Montrose, CO. (and surrounds) and the Ruidoso area. I have no regrets since I no longer find Montrose the "small town" that I fell in love with at one time. And I seriously doubt that I could have purchased a house in Montrose comparable in price/sq ft to what I bought in the Ruidoso area. To say nothing of ongoing annual property taxes being much lower in Lincoln county.

I think that Ruidoso, being a tourist mecca, is often referred to as "the poor man's Aspen" - and really can't be compared to similar "tourist towns" in CO, that are in the Rockies. And for sure Ruidoso has milder winter conditions than most of the ski towns in CO.

As for Texans, I am native born El Pasoan and Ruidoso has been a second home to me all of my long life. When I had Texas plates on my car, I swore at the antics of the locals with NM plates. As soon as I switched to NM on my own vehicle I began swearing at the antics of the Texas drivers! The reason being that people who are in town vacationing speed about as if they have to cram every last minute with some touristy thing to do. While those of us who live here in retirement find no reason to hurry anywhere at any time, thereby frustrating those who would exceed the speed limit to get to their next "fun venue."

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua
... people who are in town vacationing speed about ...
... those of us who live here ... no reason to hurry anywhere ...
That is hilarious!

Usually, the locals know every curve and bump in the road and are
always angry at non-locals who don't know that the curve marked
35 mph can actually be taken at 60 mph if you cut the apex just so ...

Try driving to Los Alamos at 5 mph above the posted speed limit.
You will usually have someone's bumper 6" away from yours.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Try driving to Los Alamos at 5 mph above the posted speed limit.
You will usually have someone's bumper 6" away from yours.
That's why I wrote in another thread that I find Santa Fe (and the area) to be too "frenetic" for my tastes and recommended Las Cruces as an alternative.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 AM

5 posts, read 16,183 times
Thanks to everyone for the honesty. I agree with joqua. I have noticed the non-locals speeding around. I say to heck with all the tourist things to do and just be thankful to be in such a beautiful place. While visiting Ruidoso 3 times in the past 2 months, I was asked, "What will you be doing?" Who cares? It's enough to just be there. Ruidoso is sounding more like home to me every day!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1120 View Post
Torn between New Mexico and Colorado. Will be moving in the near future. Hope someone can tell me why choose Ruidoso over a mountain town in Colorado. I really love Ruidoso, but don't want that nasty reputation that some Texans are crowned with. How does a guy avoid it?

Remove the following from your Truck/SUV:
TX lic. plates
Longhorns sticker
Texas Tech sticker
TX A&M Sticker
Don't Mess w/ Texas sticker

.. you'll be fine.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I live in Timberon but enjoy visiting Ruidoso. Beautiful town and very well taken care of. I've heard about the 'Texan' thing too but I think that's for the big mouth Texans that come in and try to take over and most of the time make things worse. I moved to NM from Texas and haven't had any unfriendliness from Ruidoso.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I live in TX and have spent quite a bit of time in Ruidoso. I haven't noticed much resentment toward Texans in Ruidoso. After all, Ruidoso makes a lot of money off them! For the record, I think some Texans are jerks and deserve being disliked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico