Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 PM

142 posts, read 731,796 times

Advertisements

Greetings All,

The Southwestern monsoons pale in comparison to the ones received in and around India where they can receive 25 inches of rain in one month - just to put things into perspective.

The Southwestern monsoon season typically starts around the end of June and runs through mid to late September. It is nothing more than a shift in the prevailing wind pattern to the south which brings in a humid gulf of Mexico air mass. With all of the humid air in place a catalyst is needed for storms to form being it orogaphic lifting (the Sandia's for example), frontal wedging (rare event during summer months) or intense heat from the sun.

The thing that is extremely unusal about this monsoon season is the consistant flow from the south of humid air. Typically the moisture ramps up, it rains than the humdity levels drop off.

So in essence we are talking about a record setting monsoon season here.

This is a not typical monsoon event for New Mexico.

Should we start paying some creedence to Al Gore?

Cheers...

Last edited by Informer; 08-26-2006 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 11:05 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Technically a monsoon is a Pacific hurricane, and you have to have an ocean for that. NM doesn't.
Actually, if we are speaking technically a Pacific hurricane would be a typhoon.

And while it is true that NM is land-locked, historically it has definitely been impacted by the seasonal monsoon dynamic fed by moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific. We just haven't had much of it making it up this way the last few years. Guess we're making up for it in 2006.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
However, should I be very concerned about living near the SF river? (like real near?)

Well, any time you live on the floodplain (and REAL NEAR is just that, a floodplain) that is part and parcel of any given river, the chances of your home flooding are that much greater.

When I get ready to move, I'm looking to be on much higher ground...and as far away from the river(s) as possible. It flooded in El Paso just as it is in New Mexico this year. Those living nearest the river (south, central and Canutillo/Doniphan Rds) got the brunt of the damaging water.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 AM

273 posts, read 1,649,793 times
If anybody is interested, here is a report about The North American Monsoon System.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abq/climate/.../July/nams.htm

Old 08-27-2006, 02:05 PM

44 posts, read 221,210 times
Thx for the input, certainly food for thought in making the best rental choice.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Actually, if we are speaking technically a Pacific hurricane would be a typhoon.
You are correct. My bad.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 45,010 times
Default Alamogordo - Monsoon / Floods

Ok, so I've been warned about the monsoon season and I can remember seeing the news clips of the recent deluge last August or so...

I'm wondering if there are areas of the city that are less likely to be affected by heavy rains (i.e the high and dry spots, I guess ) I've looked some at realtor.com and amazingly they include addresses (a lot of people don't seem to), so that's one of the reasons I ask. Also, is there anything a person can look at when examining a house to prove there has been flooding? For instance, the homes with gravel instead of yards? (or is there another reason for that).
Thanks

Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
The events this last summer where of the 100 year plus variety. They're gonna happen now and then and fact is the houses that were the most damaged were right at the foothills of the mountains, ie "high and dry" it was a flowing arroyo that created it's own dam and the water flowed out of the banks. The terrain is fairly steep in that area so the damage wasn't from standing water, but from water flowing real fast. Flood insurance isn't that expensive (300/yr+-) if you're not in a "flood zone" which is where they have determined water will pool in a major event.

The storms out west are extremely intense at times but they are also very localized. As a result only two of the many arroyos flowing into alamo had heavy flow. In a wide spread major event, all arroyos would flow and the low lands or property in the flood zone would flood.

The gravel yards are refered to as "xeriscaping" and are very popular in the desert where water for "yards, er lawns" is expensive and better used for something more productive. I have xeriscaping in my yard and love the fact it doesn't need mowing.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 AM

259 posts, read 988,414 times
city has a contact person + short essay on nature + location of flooding at;
http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/Emergency/flood%20august%2017%20press%20release.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 45,010 times
Default flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
city has a contact person + short essay on nature + location of flooding at;
http://ci.alamogordo.nm.us/Emergency/flood%20august%2017%20press%20release.pdf (broken link)
Thanks for the link. Your moniker would imply that you're in my neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico