Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 36,348 times

Advertisements

Hello again!

Thanks to everyone who responded to the questions in my thread! I've gotten some very useful and informative information about these areas which will definitely make my relocation experience easier and less stressful. I'm going to be moving from probably the furthest away from New Mexico as you can possibly get in terms of the landscape and environment - South Florida! Has anyone around there ever relocated to NM from Florida? Would appreciate any info/tips and preparation you could give me! In comparing Farmington and Aztec, which town has the most true "southwestern" feel in terms of the landscape, views, and scenery? Do you get alot of snow in this area? Help, I know I'm going to need a wardrobe adjustment! Thanks to all you NM natives who've given me some great info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:29 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I hope Cathy (in Alamo) see' this as she was looking to relocate there and really researched the area. Also there are those who live up there who post here at times so just keep checking in and i'm sure they'll help ya out.

I last went up there about 8 years ago but i remember how nice the 3 rivers that flow thru there are and i believe there's even a ''River Walk'' in Farmington. Lots of Mesa's there too. Farmington around 45,000 population and Aztec is about 10,000 pop.

6/3

Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Harry, I did see this, but I can't really compare Aztec and Farmington other than to say that Aztec reminds me more of an old CO mining town, which probably means nothing to someone from FL.

I also see more "southwest" in Farmington, but that might be because I looked there the longest and saw more areas.

The scenery? I love both areas, but as I recall, you'll get better views of the San Juans in Aztec.....speaking from having last seen it in March or so.

Speaking of scenery, I really do love the Sacramentos/San Andres/Organs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I hope Cathy (in Alamo) see' this as she was looking to relocate there and really researched the area. Also there are those who live up there who post here at times so just keep checking in and i'm sure they'll help ya out.

I last went up there about 8 years ago but i remember how nice the 3 rivers that flow thru there are and i believe there's even a ''River Walk'' in Farmington. Lots of Mesa's there too. Farmington around 45,000 population and Aztec is about 10,000 pop.

6/3

Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Speaking of scenery, I really do love the Sacramentos/San Andres/Organs here.
Same here. It makes me sad not to see those beautiful Sacramento mountains on a daily basis.......

Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Same here. It makes me sad not to see those beautiful Sacramento mountains on a daily basis.......
Bless your heart, Harry.....

The Sandias are pretty, too, though. I was delighted to see them coming down from Farmington earlier this year. Isn't there another range or two in the area? I can't remember. I had not been to ABQ since 1991 when I came through there last Feb and last May!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

The Sandias are pretty, too, though. I was delighted to see them coming down from Farmington earlier this year. Isn't there another range or two in the area? I can't remember.
Like i said i really miss the Sacramento's

Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Cathy4017 asked:

> ... Sandias ... see them coming down from Farmington ...
> Isn't there another range or two in the area?

Coming down 550 you would see the Jemez (a bit higher than the Sandias) off to your East (left) which would become lost behind the Nacimiento mountains (when you neared Cuba) which run N-S to the West of the Jemez.

Coming into Bernalillo (down the hill toward the Rio Grande), you can spot the Sangre De Cristo Mountians behind Santa Fe.

There are also to the Manzanos to the South of the Sandias (just to the right) that march off into the distance.

You should have also spotted Cabezon Peak and beyond that Mount Taylor to the South during your drive.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Cathy4017 asked:

> ... Sandias ... see them coming down from Farmington ...
> Isn't there another range or two in the area?

Coming down 550 you would see the Jemez (a bit higher than the Sandias) off to your East (left) which would become lost behind the Nacimiento mountains (when you neared Cuba) which run N-S to the West of the Jemez.

Coming into Bernalillo (down the hill toward the Rio Grande), you can spot the Sangre De Cristo Mountians behind Santa Fe.

There are also to the Manzanos to the South of the Sandias (just to the right) that march off into the distance.

You should have also spotted Cabezon Peak and beyond that Mount Taylor to the South during your drive.
Thank you for the names, Mortimer.....the drive along 550 was really nice, and I look forward to taking that drive again one of these days!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM

157 posts, read 651,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktamu87 View Post
In comparing Farmington and Aztec, which town has the most true "southwestern" feel in terms of the landscape, views, and scenery? Do you get alot of snow in this area?
Hi ~ "southwestern scenery" .. I think I'd agree with Cathy, probably more Farmington, but it really depends on what part of each town in which you live. Both have areas that provide some "desert" scenery, as well as some views of the San Juans in Colorado.

Snow .. well, Farm/Azt probably get more than Florida most years (), but in general, not too much .. when it does snow, it is usually gone within 24 hrs. Farm/Azt are not very far from Durango Co, but the difference in the amount of snow can be pretty big - usually much less in Farmington/Aztec.

Good luck and best wishes

Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,659 times
Default Relax

Hello You adventures souls,If you truly have your sights set on moving to Farmington,NM then you should really brace yourselves.
I have travelled quite a bit in my 50+ years,yet Farmington is where I call home.Can you answer yes to most of the following questions? Then most likely you will want to definitely want to relocate here.
Do you like wide open places?
Do,or would you like to drive 15 minutes outside of town and stand on the edge of a majestic bluff watching the sun as it kisses the earth to the west with out smog or towering buildings to block your view?
would you like to drive just 1 hour in any direction and find either desert,base of the Rocky MTS,A beautifull lake,caves to explore,or just maybe you want instant four state diverisity.Yes this area is called the four corners area.Where four states borders actually come together to form a cross-cross of peoples,scenery,history,cultures,yet we share a bond because of geographical location. The weather is of course four seasons.Have you ever smelt a cedar log burning on a cold winter morning,well here in Farmington the mere smell means family ,outdoor camping,steaks on the grill,or a night to tuck in tight to ward off a winters chill.
This is a place where a person can drive the country side with out fear of other people or critters.Get stranded and a whole bunch of down home folks (no matter the race or color will often stop )to offer help.,stay tuned there is more than a man can say about this area in this short space. Hey let me be the firt to say.Welcome to New Mexico!
The Land of Enchantment,Feb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico