Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on your location, really, and who else lives in your home.

Got a kid in the house? Are they a heavy sleeper or do they sometimes (or often) wake up in the night? If they DID wake up in the middle of the night, what do they usually do? Bathroom? Raid the fridge? Turn on the tube?

Do you live out in the middle of nowhere or in one of our more urban areas? Are you at least somewhat familiar with using a firearm? Have you considered making other improvements to better secure your home? (Door frame, doors, locks, windows, alarm, fence, dog?)

NM is pretty solid on home defense. I'm not sure that you have a right to defend PROPERTY like you might in other states, but if they're in your home and/or you WAKE UP to someone in your home, you're pretty much cleared for some "weapons hot" kinds of stuff.

I would suggest taking a concealed carry class if you're that concerned (as a VERY large part of it is the dos and don'ts of self defense, particularly in a home setting) and/or beefing up your home security. Shooting should be a last resort but it is definitely an option.

(note: I DO NOT believe that any states allow you to just shoot someone standing out on your porch... like, you aren't allowed to shoot them through the door or anything like that. I am NOT a legal authority, though.)

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Just about every week I hear about someone killing their adult son or daughter in the middle of the night after hearing a strange noise, going downstairs, and shooting in the dark believing they were shooting an intruder. Definitely worth weighing the odds of that against the odds of actually catching and killing a methhead burglar.
Thank you! This thread seemed to be low on sanity.

I'm not anti-gun... but I am anti killing people (or animals for that matter) just because you are paranoid and "feel threatened". That includes the methhead burglar. If a death sentence was their proper punishment then why don't we give them that sentence in court?

The odds that you will encounter someone breaking into your house who wishes to do bodily harm to you or your loved ones is vanishingly small. The odds are greater that your guns will result in your loved ones being shot.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
rruff - I am pretty much agreeing with your post above in the subject of guns. Seems ta be a touchy subject in the U.S. these days. But I agree with you on it.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Thank you! This thread seemed to be low on sanity.

I'm not anti-gun... but I am anti killing people (or animals for that matter) just because you are paranoid and "feel threatened". That includes the methhead burglar. If a death sentence was their proper punishment then why don't we give them that sentence in court?

The odds that you will encounter someone breaking into your house who wishes to do bodily harm to you or your loved ones is vanishingly small. The odds are greater that your guns will result in your loved ones being shot.
Yes because when somebody breaks into your house they have every intention of having tea and crumpets with you if they see you.

If somebody breaks into your house you dont have time to go check out their criminal record, they chance are very good if you confront them you will be attacked and could die. The best remedy to this is shoot. Id rather their life than mine, I am not the one that breaks into anothers house to take their property.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM

See what I mean?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Maybe when somebody robs your house with you in it youll be met by the one "good" one who'll apologise and leave.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
they chance are very good if you confront them you will be attacked and could die
You have a choice... to *not* confront them. Then nobody dies.

I made that choice once when I was near certain that someone was in my house in the wee hours. House had been broken into a few months earlier. I had a loaded .357 magnum under the bed. I reached for it, picked it up and started for the bedroom door... then sat back down... because I couldn't see any upside in confronting a burglar with a gun in my hand. It would greatly increase the odds that someone would die. I didn't want to kill someone unnecessarily or risk being killed... over what?

The smart thing to do would have been to sit in my bedroom with the gun and wait. But I must be part cat, because curiosity got the better of me... and I went to investigate *without* the gun. Guess I figured they'd run if/when they saw me. At any rate I wasn't really afraid... just very alert. I did *not* intend to fight them. Nobody there though... don't know what the noise was.

My guns are now well hidden. Maybe I'll get them out for "home defense" whenever the zombie apocalypse is nigh... maybe.

I've since learned in numerous encounters with odd and unstable persons, that a fearless and non-threatening attitude works very well to diffuse hostile or potentially dangerous situations.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM

I've since learned in numerous encounters with odd and unstable persons, that a fearless and non-threatening attitude works very well to diffuse hostile or potentially dangerous situations

rruff-BINGO! Remember back in school when everybody was yelling "FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT!" America is such a bully country. And so many of us are in mortal fear of a moron breaking in to our house, raping our women and cutting off our...umm...ears. Or something else.

How often do these things really happen, though? It's right in the Bible. Proverbs 15:1 "A mild answer turns away rage, but a harsh word stirs up anger." The Steven Seagal method of "fightin' revenge" is not the one Jesus and his Father would recommend. I know the Bible isn't really popular these days, but it is the guide I go by. And live by.

Still doesn't work with you regarding someone breaking in to your house? I guess I can try to understand your point. No one has a right to break in to your private space.

Ever seen one of those TV shows where the person talks the moron out of what they were trying to do? I would take that route. If I were murdered I believe in the Resurrection...that I may die today at a moron's hands, but I also believe that God will bring me back. At his discretion, of course. I would never tell God what he should do.

It comes down to trust in God, not in man. Also that no one has ta be the fighter that Steven Seagal is. Really. Not necessary at all.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

This is not going to turn into a gun thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'm not anti-gun... but I am anti killing people (or animals for that matter) just because you are paranoid and "feel threatened". That includes the methhead burglar. If a death sentence was their proper punishment then why don't we give them that sentence in court? .
Have you ever been close to someone who's a Meth addict ?
Meth can make the most non violent person become extremely violent.
A Meth Head is the one person who will do you harm.

When someone is in your home at 3am, can you really risk assuming they will not do you or your kids harm ?

Many people high on Meth are very dangerous people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico