Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

Coming from Ireland, there is a big culture difference between the two places, but thats not a bad thing. Heres my guide on what you can do to have a good time here, like i do.

Research
Do as much research as possible. Ask questions in forums like this, theres no such thing as a stupid question when youre thinking of relocating! Be aware there tends to be more negative responses in alot of forums, so take it in and you may have to read between the lines too. Check out the chamber of commerce / tourism / citys official website. Call these places up too and ask for a relocation package, any one of the above will supply these for free if they are any use, i know we do. Research the location too!

New Mexico has alot of different terrain, from low down deserts to high up mountainous areas, so there is something for everybody here. Check the max and min temps over the last few years, and decide if you can handle it. Not everybody likes 0F and 100F like i do.

Small Towns
New Mexico dosent have any, what i would regard as 'big cities' but they do have plenty of small towns. Ive heard alot of people comment on small towns being unfriendly to newcomers etc etc. I guess this can be true with certain people in towns, but as an overall i find that most people are welcoming, especially if you talk to them. Small towns are different to big cities. People like to talk to each other and socialize, i think its a BIG part of small town living. If you have a big city keep to yourself attitude, then yes you will have trouble settling in.

What to do / Volunteering
Most of the bigger cities have their entertainment areas, indeed most of the small ones do, but just less of it. Every town / city needs volunteers, but this is specially so in the smaller towns. Like Clayton for example, where alot of people say entertainment is limited. I volunteer for a lot of projects and fundraisers and tourism events and whatever. Not only is this very fulfilling to me, but its a great way to meet people and get to know the locals. The Trout Derby is a fine example, im out at the lake for 48hrs straight, but its alot of fun meeting people, and helping organise such a great event. The Chamber of Commerce, Tourism and Community Development and Historical Societys are always looking for good people.

Getting Away
This for me is a major plus for New Mexico. Getting away from it all is easy to do. You are usually a very short drive from nowhere, which is great for exploring.

Culture / History
New Mexico has ALOT of great history and culture. Through your research you will find out more about it. Im not a history buff by any means, but i love to read about the history of the state, its very interesting to read. The more i learn the more i want to learn. i love the New Mexican food and culture.

Crime
Drink driving is a big problem, but i think were slowly heading in the right direction when it comes to getting control of it. As for gangs, this isnt Johannesburg so i think you will be ok as long as youre sensible. You can find out about gangs / crimes etc in your research. I dont think any off the smaller towns have this problem.

Shopping
In the bigger cities, Abq, Santa Fe, Las Cruces i think i could find 99% of what i need to buy in local stores. Smaller ones like Clayton, Raton etc its probably more like 85%. But that just gives you an excuse to get out of town once or twice a month to get the rest of what you need. I find things pricewise, pretty competitive here as compared to the next biggest city (amarillo). I did a shopping list for Christmas for the Mainstreet program here and compared prices to Walmart and other big stores in Walmart. I can give yous a link to download it later. Some things were cheaper, some the same price, and some more expensive. But if you add up gas, wear and tear on your car and your time etc its cheaper to shop at home, but on the other hand its good to get out every once and a while.

Food
what can i say, id choose a hot green chilie burrito from a mom and pops restaurant over fast food any day, thats one big thing new mexico has changed in me. There are alot of places that sell 'Gringo' chilie which has alot of the flavor and none of the heat which alot of tourists here opt for!

In A Nutshell
If you did your research before you come here, and visited and have an open mind you will love living here as much as i do.
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 82,702 times
Thx BrianH. Of all the posts i've read on these boards, i found this one the most realistic. I moved from my hometown of Los Angeles, 3 years ago, to Houston. And i can't handle the insane humidity and heat that never goes away, month after month after month... nor can i handle the expense. It is truly not that much cheaper for us to live in Houston than LA. So if i'm going to pay that much money every month, i want a better climate I need to move again, not back to Los Angeles. Although as a 10 year veteran of Disney, my studio background makes it hard to find a job anywhere else

I've been researching 3 areas, Tucson, Boise and ALB. Now, after reading these forums, i'm opening up to other areas in NM. I have lived in the high desert in LA, In Riverside, and ALB weather is similiar, although more severe in winter and summer.

As for the rantings of some posters about crime and meth labs and blah blah blah, well i'm from LA!! Most of these folks wouldn't survive a month in LA with that attitude because EVERY place in LA is a patchwork. You can live in a really nice $1.2 million house, but within 5 blocks you can have a ghetto and then 5 blocks from that, you're in a middle class hood.

I have lived in Riverside which is known as the MEth LAb capital of LA -- and really, i don't hang in those neighborhoods. I lived in a quiet middle class hood and it was far safer than those i lived in when i was in Long Beach, CA or Pasadena, CA -- but friends never said "How can you live there??" Yea, reputation is everything, but not reality.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Really excellent post, Brian!

Thank you for taking all the time to gather that much information into one list.

I for one can hardly wait for my move to New Mexico....and your post makes me even more eager to get there!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM

Was my pleasure!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM

228 posts, read 818,490 times
Thanks for the informative post Brian. We are currently considering Silver City as our next move and find the discovery process very similar to what you describe. So far it's been fun finding out about the community.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Hi Brian,
Thanks for posting this information. We are going to check out Ruidoso and surrounding areas in a couple of weeks and moving in the near future.
I like coming on this website and looking at what everyone has to say about N.M.
Peace,
Cheryl

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Youll love Ruidoso. Its my favorite place outside of Clayton. Good look with your trip.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:26 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
nice post,really helpful

Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 45,580 times
Default Thanks Brians

Great Post and great ideas,works for me,welcome to America!! Larry

Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,266 times
Thanks Brian, very good information for those of us who have been searching NM for the "right" place to live.
After 3 trips to NM this winter we've choosen TorC for our new home...with the low cost of living along with the mountains and lakes nearby we think TorC is the perfect location.

Again, very good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico