Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,994,864 times

Advertisements

They should break it down.

Mexican American
Spanish American (My family, still 5th generation american)

Big difference.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:07 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,238,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
They should break it down.

Mexican American
Spanish American (My family, still 5th generation american)

Big difference.
Brad, I really don't think it matters, and I don't think they or we should be putting labels upon people, I think we're human beings first and foremost. If we didn't have labels for people, we would eliminate stereotypes and racial profiling. Just my opinion, I don't know how anyone else feels about it. I will say this though, I haven't seen any pasty white americans picking or producing the things we eat everyday. Things like vegetables and fruits, and now, even the beef and pork we eat are butchered by (shall I dare say) minorities. I don't think this country can survive without immigrants, legal or not. We need them, probably more than they need us. What we do not need is big corporate america sending our manufacturing jobs overseas.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Brad, I really don't think it matters, and I don't think they or we should be putting labels upon people, I think we're human beings first and foremost. If we didn't have labels for people, we would eliminate stereotypes and racial profiling. Just my opinion, I don't know how anyone else feels about it. I will say this though, I haven't seen any pasty white americans picking or producing the things we eat everyday. Things like vegetables and fruits, and now, even the beef and pork we eat are butchered by (shall I dare say) minorities. I don't think this country can survive without immigrants, legal or not. We need them, probably more than they need us. What we do not need is big corporate america sending our manufacturing jobs overseas.
So you are saying we should continue to allow all the illegals into our country that want to come? What kind of thinking is that?

Yes, a workers program is needed, I don't think many would argue that, but you don't just let illegals come in whenever they want, become part of the welfare system (yes, they are a part, we lived in NM long enough to know that) and Calif as well. Would you suggest we allow any immegrant, from anyplace to live here?

Nita

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So you are saying we should continue to allow all the illegals into our country that want to come? What kind of thinking is that?

Yes, a workers program is needed, I don't think many would argue that, but you don't just let illegals come in whenever they want, become part of the welfare system (yes, they are a part, we lived in NM long enough to know that) and Calif as well. Would you suggest we allow any immegrant, from anyplace to live here?

Nita
It doesn't matter what I think. What are you going to do, track me down and slap my face for my position or opinion?

Here, the war on drugs is a miserable failure, 20+ years later. Did it stem the influx of drugs? No.

You can launch a war on illegal immigration, and what will it do? Nothing, people will still come into America any way they can, be it to seek employment, to see a relative if they can't acquire the proper documentation to enter with, or for other reasons, people will still come into America, with or without laws, with or without proper papers. Do we not have immigration laws on the books now which are not enforced? Do you realize how many people came to America during the war, who had no papers to enter? At least one of my parents was.

Isn't the Government working on a system where if someone wishes to come in, and work, they'll be given paperwork by an employer to help make them a legal taxpaying citizen?

Please, don't start with the welfare thing. Public assistance programs have been broken for 30 years. It started with people trading food stamps for alcohol, tobacco products and drugs, and was abused by, you guessed it, Americans, and not illegal imigrants.

Like I said before, we need immigrant workers as much as we need them. You don't have to agree with me at all, or, point a finger and say I'm for or against this or that. I think everyone has their opinion on how to handle people who come to this country be it legally or illegally.

I have not seen any illegal immigrants taking jobs away from pasty white folks here in southwest New Mexico, so, I don't think we really have a problem. I think immigrants help us in ways which cannot always be measured in dollars.

It's too bad human beings were not born colorblind.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I wonder about you sometimes, anyways, a Mexican is a Mexican no matter if they are Mexican-American or an Illegal, its still a Mexican. Did you not know this?

and when they all look like this its a good indication- among a few other things

or this clip of a dance in Portales
I find it hard to believe that 65% of the graduating class looked like those two guys. Don't they usually where caps and gowns? So how do you distinguish them?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what I think. What are you going to do, track me down and slap my face for my position or opinion?

Here, the war on drugs is a miserable failure, 20+ years later. Did it stem the influx of drugs? No.

You can launch a war on illegal immigration, and what will it do? Nothing, people will still come into America any way they can, be it to seek employment, to see a relative if they can't acquire the proper documentation to enter with, or for other reasons, people will still come into America, with or without laws, with or without proper papers. Do we not have immigration laws on the books now which are not enforced? Do you realize how many people came to America during the war, who had no papers to enter? At least one of my parents was.

Isn't the Government working on a system where if someone wishes to come in, and work, they'll be given paperwork by an employer to help make them a legal taxpaying citizen?

Please, don't start with the welfare thing. Public assistance programs have been broken for 30 years. It started with people trading food stamps for alcohol, tobacco products and drugs, and was abused by, you guessed it, Americans, and not illegal imigrants.

Like I said before, we need immigrant workers as much as we need them. You don't have to agree with me at all, or, point a finger and say I'm for or against this or that. I think everyone has their opinion on how to handle people who come to this country be it legally or illegally.

I have not seen any illegal immigrants taking jobs away from pasty white folks here in southwest New Mexico, so, I don't think we really have a problem. I think immigrants help us in ways which cannot always be measured in dollars.

It's too bad human beings were not born colorblind.
Being born colorblind has nothing to do with this, it has simply to do with illegals and our country..Anyone here legally whether born here or immagrants are not a concern for most of us, illegals are. Is the country working on a worker program? Heck how do I know, they are working on something new everyday, what they worked on last Wednesday might be a deal issue today.

As for the welfare state, I think we all know welfare is a mess, but that is not a reason to add insult to injury. Your reasoning as to what caused the government assistance programs to fail is so out of wack. Lots of things caused it, welfare has been an issue and a problem since God only know when.

Can we stop all illegal entrees, of course not, but we can certainly do more than we are doing and yes, we can send some of them back as we should. Giving up never solved problems.

One of your parents came here illegally during the war? What war, the civil, one of the world wars, Nam or what? I hope he/she had a better life but this does not make it right. We might all have ansesters that came over illegally, still isn't right, plus in the days of immegration from Europe people who came to America did not go on welfare..

"We need immigrate workers as much as we need them?" What do you mean? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

I certainly believe you have a right to your opinions, but in case you didn't realize it, so do I and so do others. This is a board of opinions. I happen to feel illegals being allowed to stay and us just opening the borders is a really stupid thing.

No, I am far from a bigot or racist, but from your comments I am not sure about you.

Nita

Old 07-19-2009, 02:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,994,864 times
Quote:
No I think it does matter, If someone calls me a "mexican" or wet back believe me I will correct them.
What does corporate america have to do with anything...?!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,213,942 times
--------"It's too bad human beings were not born colorblind"----

Quit playing the race card, Hombre57
I'd be just as upset if our border to the north was being over run with white Canadians.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--------"It's too bad human beings were not born colorblind"----

Quit playing the race card, Hombre57
I'd be just as upset if our border to the north was being over run with white Canadians.
I'm not playing the "race card".
Discrimination is still a problem in the USA.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
No I think it does matter, If someone calls me a "mexican" or wet back believe me I will correct them.
What does corporate america have to do with anything...?!
Corporate America has everything to do with illegal immigrants, that is why we have a problem in the USA with it. California and Florida citrus growers hire illegals, meat packing companies hire illegals, even home builders hire illegals to construct new homes.
Why? Some are union busting tactics, and the other is cheaper labor.
Offshoring by corporate America has sent manufacturing jobs to other countries, where labor costs are much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico