Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

I am curious if Harrell is so bad and corrupt, was she the best choice in the GOP primary? She sure hasn't run any positive ads on TV and T-S has the DCC blasting her. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see her having a chance against T-S ( a lackey of Heinrich). Also, Pierce didn't do well running for the senate and I don't see him doing much better this time. I guess NM will go solid blue this time.

* observations from an El Pasoan who has to endure both TX and NM political ads and is wearing out my "mute " button. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am curious if Harrell is so bad and corrupt, was she the best choice in the GOP primary?
The voters seemed to think so.

Quote:
She sure hasn't run any positive ads on TV and T-S has the DCC blasting her.
Republicans don't win with positive ads. R voters show up at the polls rain or shine. The negative ads are aimed at getting the opponent's voters to stay home, which is a surprisingly effective strategy sometimes. The D advertising is aiming at getting them to vote, which somebody thinks works.

Quote:
* observations from an El Pasoan who has to endure both TX and NM political ads and is wearing out my "mute " button. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. :-)
You don't have to stare at a TV (with commercials?!) for hours each day. Few people under 40 do that anymore.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:06 AM

356 posts, read 503,442 times
The rotten ads are coming from D.C. PACS in which no one has ever set foot in New Mexico. Screw 'em all.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am curious if Harrell is so bad and corrupt, was she the best choice in the GOP primary? She sure hasn't run any positive ads on TV and T-S has the DCC blasting her. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see her having a chance against T-S ( a lackey of Heinrich). Also, Pierce didn't do well running for the senate and I don't see him doing much better this time. I guess NM will go solid blue this time.

These may shed some light, or maybe not:
https://ballotpedia.org/New_Mexico%2...election,_2018

https://ballotpedia.org/Xochitl_Torres_Small

https://ballotpedia.org/Yvette_Herrell

Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Pancho, thank you for the primary results . I stand corrected in that Torres - Small was a lackey for Udall and not Heinrich. Probably no difference. Interesting that she works for Kemp -Smith , a big law firm here in ELP.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Close race!

Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
As of about 6 minutes ago, Torres-Small has now been announced the winner of that election by about 3000 votes! This is certainly a surprise to me. I have not checked yet but this is the first time a Democrat has held that office in years.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM

I can’t recall the last time the entire leadership of the state went blue. Oh wait.. 2008.

And for cd 2 to flip in an off year is surprising.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I thought the 2nd congressional district had been led by a Republican for a very long time. But I had forgotten about Harry Teague, a Democrat, in office from 2009-2011. The last Democrat in that office before him was Harold Runnels who held the office from 1971-1980.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:15 AM

National moods have a disproportionate impact on 2.
Teague rode in on Obama’s coattails with 55%, and never actually defeated Pearce, who mistakenly believed he had a shot at a senate seat that year.

By 2010, Pearce defeated Teague by about the same margin when a number of Obama voters didn’t vote.

I strongly suspect Pearce, had he run for house again, might have been able to hold on to the seat, though it still would’ve been super close. A lot of conservatives associate staying power and name recognition with their economic interests, which Herrell couldn’t bring to the table, and the crackpot right wing fringe wasn’t about to vote for a woman.

This time CD2 may be no longer something Pearce can win. His base is aging and dying, and younger people have been civically inspired for the first time since the 60’s and 70’s. 2020’s elections will break records, and for the party that counts on low turnout, it’s 2022 before they even have a prayer of getting 2 back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico