Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I remember only 20 or so years ago when there was no real parking lot at all, you just pulled off into the junipers, and you might see a half dozen people in the canyon. Now I would steer clear of the place during its most popular times.
Yes, it was made a national monument in 2001, and before that the road into it was unpaved, I believe it was under the state parks and monuments. Once that road was paved and it made the list of national monuments, visitation soared.

As a quieter alternative, I like the Plaza Blanca area in Abiquiu.
About
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Chaco Canyon, Just a few years selected, it varies a lot:

2017 55,334
2013 29,917
1997 113,336
I suspect the vast majority of this was summer months. I admit the last time I visited was during the cold season.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Recreation Visitors by Month, Chaco Culture NHP

Chaco Canyon, Just a few years selected, it varies a lot:

2017 55,334
2013 29,917
1997 113,336

Jan 2018 1,231
Jan 1980 678
Jan 2003 3,385

All The Stats at: https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSRepor...ear)?Park=CHCU

I was one of the 113,336 that visited Chaco Canyon in 1997,
almost killed my car going there. I entered from the north and exited south...
both roads unpaved back then, the road heading south was terrible,
very rough, washboard, should have been only for 4x4s.
After that NM trip I have to have suspension work done on my car.
But it was worth it...really liked Chaco and all the other places I visited.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
both roads unpaved back then, the road heading south was terrible,
very rough, washboard,

But it was worth it...really liked Chaco and all the other places I visited.
I can't remember when we visited, but the two times we did, it was washboard roads...

Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I can't remember when we visited, but the two times we did, it was washboard roads...
Almost any dirt road in NM is gonna be washboard.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am 20 and a junior in college and I am just curious of places where to live out West after college, I love the dramatic and beautiful scenery of AZ, but AZ is not a place to live due to having to live too close to Phoenix for a job, too many retirees in the great parts, etc. I considered small metro areas in the West including NM's metro areas as a choice too.

Is NM scenery gorgeous like the way people think about AZ and UT's scenery?

Does NM have a lot of outdoor activities?

Also, NM has a small population of 2 million. I am so used to NJ having 9 million people, however, 9 million people in a densely populated state sucks. Is 2 million in NM too sparse for me to have a good social life and are there a lot of young people in NM? I have checked Google Earth and if you zoom in close to the outer ABQ metro area, there are tons of undeveloped streets with no houses that are being built up and I assume the population of NM will grow (Google Earth still needs to update its imagery).
I love the scenery in a lot of New Mexico.I would stick to ABQ for a big city social life since you are coming from New Jersey.I think there are parts of ABQ that are popular with the young.I dont think New Mexico will grow much in terms of population for the foreseeable future.New Mexico has lots of outdoor stuff to do.What New Mexico metros are you considering?

Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I love the scenery in a lot of New Mexico.I would stick to ABQ for a big city social life since you are coming from New Jersey.I think there are parts of ABQ that are popular with the young.I dont think New Mexico will grow much in terms of population for the foreseeable future.New Mexico has lots of outdoor stuff to do.What New Mexico metros are you considering?
I would say that NM only has one metro area, which is ABQ and every other major municipality name in NM is just a satellite city influenced by ABQ. I am not interested in living in ABQ itself. I would like to live in those nice neighborhoods east of it where the houses are nice and spread apart. I love New Mexico for that while AZ crowds their houses if you want to live close to jobs even though AZ has a lot land. Utah has crowding due to the lack of flat land.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
I would say that NM only has one metro area, which is ABQ and every other major municipality name in NM is just a satellite city influenced by ABQ. I am not interested in living in ABQ itself. I would like to live in those nice neighborhoods east of it where the houses are nice and spread apart. I love New Mexico for that while AZ crowds their houses if you want to live close to jobs even though AZ has a lot land. Utah has crowding due to the lack of flat land.
Okay i see....best of luck to you.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I am not interested in living in ABQ itself. I would like to live in those nice neighborhoods east of it where the houses are nice and spread apart.
Which neighborhoods do you refer to?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
I would say that NM only has one metro area, which is ABQ and every other major municipality name in NM is just a satellite city influenced by ABQ.
Not really accurate. Las Cruces is a city of 200,000+ that is 3 1/2 hours away from Albuquerque and really more part of the El Paso metro, and Santa Fe is 410 years old and has a culture (for good or bad) that is quite distinct from the Duke City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico