Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:50 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,748 times

Advertisements

New Mexico Gov: Trump ‘Militarizing the Border’ — ‘Stoking Fear’ with ‘Racist’ Rhetoric

Wednesday on MSNBC’s “Live,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM) said she removed National Guard troops from the border in her state because she is concerned the Trump administration was “stoking fear” with “racist comments about Hispanic communities” in “an effort to get support for militarizing the border.”

Lujan Grisham said, “I have long been concerned that in addition to this anti-immigrant agenda by the White House stoking fear, the racist comments about Hispanic communities and immigrant communities in general, that this is an effort to get support for militarizing the border. And not getting Congress to do that. He’s making sure that he’s trying to get states to do that.”

She continued, “This is not a national emergency. We are spending $30 million on our troop deployment there. That’s money he’s taking out of things that we do need in this state, like infrastructure investments. I asked them to get me more data and demonstrate what they are doing and I don’t want them to involve in immigration enforcement. They were unable to make the case. I made the decision as soon as they gave me report, which again indicated no crisis. I pulled the troops from the border.”

Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Interesting New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the Union right down there with Mississippi

The leftward tilt of NM is very disappointing with not bring new tax revenues to this desperately poor state

Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
How is that rightward tilt helping Mississippi?

Old 02-09-2019, 01:11 PM

New Mexico takes the top spot for poorest state in the nation

t's a list no one wants to top, but New Mexico is. New Census numbers show the state is officially the poorest state in the country, with one out of every four families living in poverty.

"I don't think this is a surprise to people in New Mexico. I think the problems are problems they live with every day," said Gerry Bradley of New Mexico voices for children.

According to the US Census, in 2011 22 percent of our families were living in poverty compared to the national level which was 15 percent.

Gerry Bradley researched the state's poverty numbers and offered one big reason why New Mexico is performing so poorly.

"Everything that happens in the area of poverty it's going to ultimately be traced back to the labor market. If we're losing jobs, we're not going to be improving in our poverty standings," said Bradley.

Bradley said before 2008, that 50th ranking was actually around 45th to or 44th. He also said the state's education budgets are being cut and public sector jobs are suffering. Bradley said the only way to fix the low rankings is to get the government to step in.

New Mexico will be fighting for the cellar with Mississippi

Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post

t's a list no one wants to top, but New Mexico is. New Census numbers show the state is officially the poorest state in the country, with one out of every four families living in poverty.

According to the US Census, in 2011 22 percent of our families were living in poverty compared to the national level which was 15 percent.
New Census numbers? From 2011?

How About From:

The 10 Poorest States In America For 2019

1. Mississippi (Photos)
2. New Mexico (Photos)
3. Alabama (Photos)
4. Louisiana (Photos)
5. West Virginia (Photos)
6. Kentucky (Photos)
7. South Carolina (Photos)
8. Arkansas (Photos)
9. Georgia (Photos)
10. North Carolina (Photos)

Reference: https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/

I'm ignoring the remainder of the jaw-flapping... I have some chores to take care of...

Old 02-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
New Census numbers? From 2011?

How About From:

The 10 Poorest States In America For 2019

1. Mississippi (Photos)
2. New Mexico (Photos)
3. Alabama (Photos)
4. Louisiana (Photos)
5. West Virginia (Photos)
6. Kentucky (Photos)
7. South Carolina (Photos)
8. Arkansas (Photos)
9. Georgia (Photos)
10. North Carolina (Photos)

Reference: https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/

I'm ignoring the remainder of the jaw-flapping... I have some chores to take care of...

You proved my point NM and MS trading places with the cellar

Old 02-09-2019, 04:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Learn to read...

Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Learn to read...
For a professional Russian troll his English is quite passable.
He's getting paid to argue the point he was given. Just ignore him.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
New Mexico Gov: Trump ‘Militarizing the Border’ — ‘Stoking Fear’ with ‘Racist’ Rhetoric

Wednesday on MSNBC’s “Live,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM) said she removed National Guard troops from the border in her state because she is concerned the Trump administration was “stoking fear” with “racist comments about Hispanic communities” in “an effort to get support for militarizing the border.”

Lujan Grisham said, “I have long been concerned that in addition to this anti-immigrant agenda by the White House stoking fear, the racist comments about Hispanic communities and immigrant communities in general, that this is an effort to get support for militarizing the border. And not getting Congress to do that. He’s making sure that he’s trying to get states to do that.”

She continued, “This is not a national emergency. We are spending $30 million on our troop deployment there. That’s money he’s taking out of things that we do need in this state, like infrastructure investments. I asked them to get me more data and demonstrate what they are doing and I don’t want them to involve in immigration enforcement. They were unable to make the case. I made the decision as soon as they gave me report, which again indicated no crisis. I pulled the troops from the border.”
It's interesting that the Governor of a major border state, doesn't see any emergency in her state, but the President of the Electoral College in Washington, does. Normally when there is a true emergency, state Governors are the first to be aware of the problem, then they request help from Washington. But this help is coming from the top down, without even a request for it. Trump is kind of like the unwanted neighbor, who shows up at your house to help you with a project that you don't need help with, then refuses to leave.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
^ Because the governor is a Democrat and is opposing Trump based on partisanship. Trump has the duty to protect the country, overriding a governor's political pettiness.

And typical of Democrats, the governor plays the race card. Trump never said anything racists about Hispanics in general. He called criminals for what they are, criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico