Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 AM

128 posts, read 143,731 times

Advertisements

The U.S. News and World Report ranks NM dead last among all 50 states in terms of safety: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta.../public-safety. NM has the highest crime rates in the nation. Why is that? What is the state doing to make it so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM

138 posts, read 145,621 times
From the page you linked:

Quote:
Public safety makes up 50 percent of the Best States for crime & corrections ranking. This subcategory evaluates both the violent crime rate and the property crime rate in each state, as measured by the FBI in 2016. Interestingly, less crime doesn’t always lead to less people in jail. Rhode Island and Pennsylvania both rank in the top-10 Best States for public safety and in the bottom 10 for corrections, the other subcategory used to determine the Best States for crime & corrections. Though some major cities, such as Chicago and Baltimore, have seen drastic increases in homicides in recent years, overall violent crime and property crime rates remain near historic lows.
More goes into crime statistics than raw numbers. For instance, those are nearly always caculated as per 100,000people. So one crime committed where there are 400,000 people looks worse than 2 crimes where there are a million people. And 1 crime in a place with 10,000 people would be given the same statistic as 100 crimes in a place with a million.

Then there's reporting. A few years ago several large cities redefined what they report as homicides. Immediately their violent crime statistics dropped. They didn't have any less crime. They just reported it differently. I mentioned homicides, but they redefined quite a few other things at the same time, too.

Those types of things may not be all of it. But they sure go a long way toward skewing the numbers in favor of places with much higher and worse crimes.

Last edited by phydeaux3; 04-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Simply put, there's a lot of desperate people that live here. There is more visible poverty here than any place I have ever seen, in terms of overall percentage of the whole when it comes to neighborhoods. I live in a neighborhood that has for deterrents, dogs that remain outside all day and night (referred to here as an 'inexpensive security system', no joke, that was a recent radio ad for the local humane society as to the advantages of adopting a dog) video surveillance cameras, motion detectors, as well as police that regularly patrol the street at night (as witnessed by my same camera). Yet, this presence does not deter regular attempts for predators to lift items out of cars and front lawns, as well as break-ins.

I used to live in Southern New Jersey before I moved here. You could have put a sign on my front lawn there, that stated I was at work during the day, with my doors unlocked, and no one would think to steal. The town I used to live in had one property crime in an entire year. That is not the norm, by the way.

An additional thought, since I am on the subject of New Jersey. There are 566 municipalities in that state. New Mexico has a fraction of that number in spite of the state being 14 times larger in land area. That means there is a much lower presence of law enforcement. This could be an additional contributing factor.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
The U.S. News and World Report ranks NM dead last among all 50 states in terms of safety: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta.../public-safety. NM has the highest crime rates in the nation. Why is that? What is the state doing to make it so bad?
I think a lot of it due to the widespread poverty and lack of opportunity so they turn to illegal ways of making money such as the drug trade.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM

96 posts, read 80,156 times
New Mexico was once described to me as a "rural slum". I live there for a couple of years back in the early 2000s in Gallup. Yes, it was a rural slum. Lots of poverty, lots of alcoholism, lots of drug use, lots of prejudice, and lots of lost hope for any future, especially for Native Americans. Folks just gave up and tried to live day to day.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
There are 24 threads related to crime in the New Mexico forum. These are the threads related to New Mexico state, (they exclude city names in the title):
Give it to me straight: Is crime as bad as I am hearing?
cities in new mexico with the most crime
20 Most Dangerous States for 2009: No. 4: New Mexico - Crime
Where's the crime in New Mexico?
New Mexico crime map
Crime in NM Not So Bad
it's hard to remain positive when... - Crime
My wife and I have lived in this area (New Mexico) 20 years. I have lived in 10 other states and several countries.

The state of New Mexico is not intentionally making New Mexico number 50. Someone has to be number 50.

I/We have had more crime committed against our family while in other states. Otherwise we would have stayed here 20 years...

I am originally from the Bronx...

Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Isn't crime low in Rio Rancho?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
NM has historically been one of the poorest states and probably has always been at the bottom of the safety ranking for that reason. The poorer you are, the harder it is to insulate yourself from crime.

On a positive note, we are the only state with no hate groups in 2018, according to the SPLC. Texas had 73; Arizona 20; Colorado 22. What can those states learn from New Mexico?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Any thinking person who looks at the published rankings for a few minutes should realize that there is something very odd and just plain misleading about the listing. Even the FBI warns against comparing one jurisdiction against another. There are too many variations among the states and their criminal justice practices and reporting. Comparing the actual numbers (not ranks) from one state over several years is a valid use of these statistics to see trends. In this case the sole reason for publishing the rankings is to sell advertising and magazines. It is not enlightening or informative.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux3 View Post
So one crime committed where there are 400,000 people looks worse than 2 crimes where there are a million people.
No it doesn't. It looks exactly the same. One crime/500,000 people is equivalent to two crimes/a million people. Your probability of exposure to crime is identical in both cases.

To answer the OP: New Mexico historically has had problems with poverty, gangs, crime, which on a per-capita basis are higher than the national average. In New Mexico these issues tend to be spread out more. Other cities in the U.S. also have a lot of crime, but they tend to be concentrated more in specific places like inner-city ghettos.

So that's one difference. A second difference is that historically there has been a lot of apathy from the police in NM in the way they deal with crime in Hispanic and Indian communities. The police don't care and as a result they don't exert as much effort in maintaining public safety in those areas. Which means that crime is allowed to run its course. In other U.S. cities you hear about police apathy in minority communities. Well, NM is kind of like a "big minority community" - Hispanics and Indians are spread throughout the state and make up a large portion of the population.

In the United States, places where you see a lot of public safety are where the white people are and where the money is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think a lot of it due to the widespread poverty and lack of opportunity so they turn to illegal ways of making money such as the drug trade.
Why did you give a "thumbs up" to the drug trade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico