Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 AM

25 posts, read 77,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
It's getting real difficult for artists around here to try and sell their stuff. Most of the artists have to go into Gallup to sell their stuff. Some just make their stuff, while others have orders. My mother has orders from buyers she has known for over ten years. She has established herself with the buyers knowing they can get quality bracelets. Most artist here attend art fairs and shows were they can setup a booth and sell their items straight to consumers. Gallup needs to setup some sort of Arts fair or have weekend selling markets. I think this would help local artists a lot. The only thing I've seen something close to this is at Earl's restaurant, where you can setup a table and sell from there. I also do hope that the price of silver goes down for the sake of silversmiths everywhere.
Why don't you help your mom get on Etsy and sell her stuff there? Providing of course that she is able to access the internet or that you can help her with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM

127 posts, read 555,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRoadRunner View Post
Why don't you help your mom get on Etsy and sell her stuff there? Providing of course that she is able to access the internet or that you can help her with that.
Funny you should say that, I was actually developing a website for my mother and several other relatives. I have just barely begun the design of the template. Hopefully i will be finish with the design in a month or two.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that, I was actually developing a website for my mother and several other relatives. I have just barely begun the design of the template. Hopefully i will be finish with the design in a month or two.

The trick is traffic. Is there any site that features links to NM artists (as opposed to dealers)?

In any event let us know the link when you get your site up.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRoadRunner View Post
Another: eCRATER.com

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 PM

127 posts, read 555,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
The trick is traffic. Is there any site that features links to NM artists (as opposed to dealers)?

In any event let us know the link when you get your site up.
I know some people that work closely with the tribal website and they are going to put link on their site. Plus I have contacted people working with certain pueblos that might put a link on their websites. Hopefully everything will go well.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Quote:
It's getting real difficult for artists around here to try and sell their stuff. Most of the artists have to go into Gallup to sell their stuff. Some just make their stuff, while others have orders. My mother has orders from buyers she has known for over ten years. She has established herself with the buyers knowing they can get quality bracelets. Most artist here attend art fairs and shows were they can setup a booth and sell their items straight to consumers. Gallup needs to setup some sort of Arts fair or have weekend selling markets. I think this would help local artists a lot. The only thing I've seen something close to this is at Earl's restaurant, where you can setup a table and sell from there. I also do hope that the price of silver goes down for the sake of silversmiths everywhere.
I think you've got good ideas, and hope you share them with others at Zuni and in Gallup. Promoting buyer visits to the pueblo and making it simple by having signs at homes of artists would be a great thing, I think. I know visitors would enjoy using a map and/or finding signs and meeting artists in their homes or workshops. There is a downside though...a loss of privacy, etc. and the usual hazards and irritations of dealing with the public. If it was easy everybody would be doing it.
Zuni would be a perfect place to do something like this, and it would help support the little restaurants that sometimes struggle to stay in business.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't have a lot to add about the rugs except that I think they're beautiful and I've been planning on buying one for a wall decoration for several years. I've restricted myself to just looking at them when I'm in Indian country, trying to get a better idea of what I want. I expect to spend $500-$1000 for my first piece and I know it will look beautiful in my home.

As far as the jewelry, I sorta like the turquoise silver stuff but I've about sworn off because the inlays fall out after only 1-2 years of wear. That stuff isn't that expensive, perhaps $25-$35 for a modest wrist bracelet, but I hate it when I grow to liking something and then it falls apart and I can't wear it anymore. It's not the cost. It's just knowing that it's temporary.

I've bought heavier stuff (not flat bands) and that stuff holds up, like a belt buckle I've got.
Lovehound: make a trip to the Crownpoint rug auction when you decide to buy...it's a very interesting experience. I find that the prices for smaller rugs tend to not be tremendous deals, but larger pieces can be a relative bargain. It's nice to see and meet weavers as well. Crownpoint Navajo Rug Auction, Crownpoint, New Mexico the official site
Navajo rugs - The Crownpoint Navajo Rug Auction. a dealer/buyers personal view from a few years ago, worth reading.

I hate to say it, but Zuni inlaid bracelets tend to be light weight and thus they flex....which is why your inlay pops out. They also often use super glue instead of epoxy and it's just not as durable. This is why I don't buy many Zuni inlay bracelets, I buy Navajo. The silver work is heavier. Most of the pieces I buy have the stones set with industrial epoxy and after selling hundreds of them I haven't had more than a half dozen repairs..and most of those were due to customer misbehavior, like trying to stretch the bracelet open, thus destroying the inlay. You'll spend more money, but you'll get something that will be an heirloom. I love Zuni inlay pins, bolas, pendants, buckles, etc. but avoid bracelets unless they are very sturdy.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Actually I've spent most of my "Indian" shopping in Utah, and virtually all of my purchases were in Navajo lands, presumably by Navajo artisans. Yeah, I know all about the inlaid bracelets, from experience. Some think they look a little "gay" for guys to wear 'em but I like 'em anyway, and doesn't bother me what people think. I'd be in for more of them but from experience I know they ultimately flex too much and either the inlay falls out or the flexing of the band weakens it and it eventually splits at the weak point. I still like 'em but won't buy 'em anymore. I don't like the heavier bracelets as much, or pendants, bolas, etc. Perhaps a silver-coral-turquoise watch band some day if I resume wearing a watch. OTOH it's better to run on "Indian time" anyway and I'm near retirement and probably go on "Indian" full time soon! I do like the belt buckles though, although can't use that many of 'em. Got one right now, so room for a few more.

As far as the rugs I've found a trading post I like, really big one, I think it's in Blanding (UT) or maybe somewhere on 89 north of Cameron (UT). They had a great selection and I'm sorry I didn't buy then, but the prices seemed steep. I later learned better judgement in pricing and realized that the trading post's prices were okay. BTW I think I like Grey Hills style, FWIW. Well there's plenty of time for me to buy a Navajo rug, and if there isn't time then I won't be needing that rug anyway.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM

I alternate between wearing an inlay bracelet made by Stoneweaver in Gallup and a heavy stamped silver one given to me by the late Darin Bill. The inlay is mostly black and not too ornate, set in the heavy contemporary Navajo silver Steve Harper uses in his designs. It's a masculine look for sure. There's no way to get the inlay to pop out, short of a hammer and anvil. If Steve ever does have to do a repair they have to use a diamond drill at the workshop to remove the rest of the stone for reinlaying. That 2 ton industrial epoxy is tuff stuff. One of his favorite tricks when discussing durability is to take off his own bracelet, hold it out in front of him and drop it on whatever surface he's standing on. Makes me cringe, but it never, ever breaks.
I think Two Grey Hills is my favorite as well. I like the natural sheep colors, fine weave and geometric designs. Here's hoping for a retirement long and prosperous enough to justify a nice collection of rugs.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, Two Grey Hills! Thanks for refreshing my memory. I haven't thought about it for about two years, last time I saw it.

I don't know if I will collect any big collection, but I sure want at least one, for use as a wall hanging in my living room. I'm sure I'll get hooked though, and need one for my bedroom soon after. Maybe by then I'll be living in NM or AZ and at least not have to drive as far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico