Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,194,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
I'm perfectly content to have the rest of the country not know we exist.
x2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,341,891 times
x3

Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM

702 posts, read 2,291,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Or who Paris Hilton is dating......
The level of ignorance is astonishing to me.
I'm not sure when New Mexico is going to be considered a state by the majority of Americans. Not happening yet.
When I was back in the midwest a while ago I invited two different couples to visit us...and one guy said "we'd like to but we don't speak Spanish" and the other couple asked if they needed to get passports. And these are educated people Sheesh!
Are you sure? Or are they just college graduates?

This surely shows the decline in the public education system (or poor parenting). Both, probably.

I knew all 50 states by heart - and their capitals - in third grade. We even put on an assembly where we sang all 50 states' names in a song. Round 2 in 9th grade, when we were required again to memorize all 50 states, the capitals, map location, and a few random facts about each state.

Now, I must say I'm guilty of not knowing the map location of every state (particularly the smaller northeastern states). But I'd probably score a 47/51 on a quiz.

To live in the US and not know NM is a state? Idiocracy, here we come!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

429 posts, read 1,473,465 times
I think one of the worst times for me was visiting a pen-pal in Greece when I was about 17 yrs old and they knew more about our president and policies than I did (or at least they sounded like they did)... Just wasn't into politics at 17 but my 17 yr old Greek friend (and most of her friends) certainly were. I used to know more than I do now, things I don't use daily gets lost as I absorb other crap to keep me going. haha

Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
Over the years I've come to realize that there are a lot of not so smart people in the world.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM

293 posts, read 907,430 times
Thanks for the information. I didn't know it had been made a state. Are there 53 now? It's hard to keep track.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

390 posts, read 949,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Seriously. How can they not know New Mexico is part of America? Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state. Someone asked if there are any white people. Another person said don't drink the water.
Could it be because we once were?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
New rules for voting:

All voters must take a simple civics test before entering the booth.
AMEN...and all voters have to prove citizenship and produce a valid ID card...as well as being able to read and write English.

Whoever came up with the requirement that ballots have to be produced in any language where at least 10% of the population speaks/reads/writes that language is an idiot.

Some voters are illiterate in two langugages...their native one and English!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,709,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
AMEN...and all voters have to prove citizenship and produce a valid ID card...as well as being able to read and write English.

Whoever came up with the requirement that ballots have to be produced in any language where at least 10% of the population speaks/reads/writes that language is an idiot.

Some voters are illiterate in two langugages...their native one and English!
Yes, let's disenfranchise as many eligible voters as we possibly can.

Shouldn't we try to make it easier for all eligible voters to participate in the election process so that we have truly representative government? Or is the goal to keep people on the margins of society out of the process, since we really don't want their voices heard, anyway?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Yes, let's disenfranchise as many eligible voters as we possibly can.

Shouldn't we try to make it easier for all eligible voters to participate in the election process so that we have truly representative government? Or is the goal to keep people on the margins of society out of the process, since we really don't want their voices heard, anyway?
We already make it so easy that even ineligible voters have no problems casting a vote in some areas.

Illegals, dead people, et al.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico