Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

Historic Earthquakes Largest Earthquake in New Mexico

Socorro area, New Mexico
1906 11 15 12:15 UTC
Intensity VII

Largest Earthquake in New Mexico

This earthquake, which increased the property damage already sustained at Socorro, was described as the most severe shock of the year. Four rebuilt chimneys were shaken off the Socorro County Courthouse, and two others were cracked severely. Plaster fell at the courthouse, and a cornice on the northwest corner of the two-story adobe Masonic Temple was thrown onto its first floor. Several bricks fell from the front gable on one house. Plaster was shaken from walls in Santa Fe, about 200 kilometers from the epicenter. Felt over most of New Mexico and in parts of Arizona and Texas.

New Mexico Earthquake Information

New Mexico Earthquake History

Amazing, that with all these mountains, this area isn't more active.
It's just sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:46 PM

73 posts, read 254,569 times
Default Earthquakes

I ran across a map and info showing the earthquake zones in the US and their potential for severity and was surprised to see a portion of NM, including the ABQ area, in a distinct earthquake risk area. While it wasn't rated as potentially severe as the San Andreas fault, say, the map indicated a definite potential for earthquake activity higher than many other areas of the country. I wasn't aware that ABQ was prone to earthquakes. Any tremors recently? What do the locals say about earthquake risk in ABQ?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I've never heard anyone even talk about earthquakes and ABQ in the same sentence, I bet if you asked locals 8 out of 10 would probably tell you that earthquakes dont hit ABQ.

I know it could based from some link I read on this forum a while back but I think most have no idea

Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I have been here 10 years and have not felt an earthquake. There have been some in New Mexico.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-12-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTalk View Post
I ran across a map and info showing the earthquake zones in the US and their potential for severity and was surprised to see a portion of NM, including the ABQ area, in a distinct earthquake risk area. While it wasn't rated as potentially severe as the San Andreas fault, say, the map indicated a definite potential for earthquake activity higher than many other areas of the country. I wasn't aware that ABQ was prone to earthquakes. Any tremors recently? What do the locals say about earthquake risk in ABQ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have been here 10 years and have not felt an earthquake. There have been some in New Mexico.
I'm moving this response to the thread with lots of information already in it - popping it on top of the redundant thread just started.

In looking at my earlier post, I just noticed that the greatest quake in NM occurred about 7 months after the Great San Francisco Quake of Wednesday, April 18, 1906.

Poncho_NM - you may not have "felt" an earthquake, but it doesn't mean your dog or cat didn't notice one ( if you have an aminal ).

It's amusing to listen to Californians tell you that people are sissies for worrying about earthquakes because the earth "doesn't open up and swallow you" and "houses don't crumble down on you" - stuff like that.

It's like saying "it's windy, but it's not like it could pick up your car and slam it down" ... in Wichita.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The Rio Grande Rift is a fault line (obviously, that's what a rift is) but I have felt more earthquakes in the metro NYC area than I have here (1).

ABQConvict

Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Rio Grande Rift is a fault line (obviously, that's what a rift is) ...
Mount Taylor is going to get harder and harder to see from here as the years roll by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have felt more earthquakes in the metro NYC area than I have here (1).
Me? Two in Ohio believe it or not. Quakes there
are ( sort-of ) related to the New Madrid phenomenon.

I've felt a couple in the Bay Area.

We're still more likely to feel a big one here than in places like Ohio and NYC.

It's just that what seems like a long time to us is just a blink of an eye
in geologic terms. "More likely" means in the next 5-10 thousand years.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Default And just for some 3am thought.....

Drilling might be culprit behind Texas earthquakes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090612/ap_on_re_us/us_texas_earthquakes_drilling - broken link)

Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Well, if my insurance is anything to go by, we must not be in a high risk area because the premium for earthquake coverage on my policy is significantly less than the hurricane coverage was in FL

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

196 posts, read 591,241 times
As reported by KOB: www.KOB.com - Minor earthquake shakes central New Mexico (http://www.KOB.com/article/stories/S1034182.shtml?cat=516 - broken link)

This early Morning... 7.17.09

Minor earthquake shakes central New Mexico

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - A minor earthquake with a 3.0 magnitude has rattled a rural area of central New Mexico.
The U.S. Geological Survey says the temblor struck Thursday night about 20 miles north of the village of Paguate. No one reported damage or feeling the quake on the survey's Web site.

The earthquake's center was about 50 miles northwest of Albuquerque.
A quake of a magnitude 2.5 to 3 is the smallest generally felt by people.

Not to make lightly of this occurrence, but it makes me think of Carol King's 'I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet'..

Soooo.. did anyone feel a little bump in the night? (keep'n it clean..)

Skysz....

Didn't feel a thing. I think a little 3.0 wouldn't be felt this far away in Abq.
Man I miss those California shakers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico