Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 21,622 times

Advertisements

New Mexico has some deverse scenery. Some of it is breath taking. The drive from i-40 to Farmington is magnificent. I go fishing in the Santa Fe wilderness, north of Las Vegas. Stunning scenery. Texans, mostly west Texans, frequent New Mexico often. Many (if not most) of the large ranches are owned by Texans. New Mexico also, has some of the longest stretches of boring roads in the US. ie. from Roswell to anywhere north. Taos, Eagles Nest, Red River are amazing. Conversley, Hobbs is a very ugly,
dangerous, and violent town. Carlsbad used to be one of my favorite places, but lately, it is becoming more like Hobbs. Lots of angry people The road rage is out of control.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM

71 posts, read 157,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Sssssh!!! That's one of our better kept secrets!

yep, i've heard about the desert winds..........

Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancealots View Post
New Mexico has some deverse scenery. Some of it is breath taking. The drive from i-40 to Farmington is magnificent. I go fishing in the Santa Fe wilderness, north of Las Vegas. Stunning scenery. Texans, mostly west Texans, frequent New Mexico often. Many (if not most) of the large ranches are owned by Texans. New Mexico also, has some of the longest stretches of boring roads in the US. ie. from Roswell to anywhere north. Taos, Eagles Nest, Red River are amazing. Conversley, Hobbs is a very ugly,
dangerous, and violent town. Carlsbad used to be one of my favorite places, but lately, it is becoming more like Hobbs. Lots of angry people The road rage is out of control.

why are they so angry?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsandyb View Post
why are they so angry?
Part of it comes from the long distances involved in driving those parts and the sheer mindnumbingness of all the driving. Any disruption, however minor, really rubs some people the wrong way.

The fact they're in a car gives them a sense of security that allows them (they think) to act rudely with impunity.

For many of them, it's the environment and family they grow up in; almost a type of bullying psychology. SE NM just seems to have a larger proportion of folks like this than other parts. The employers in the area (oil, oil, oil) tend to attract this type of psychology for whatever reason- maybe the fact so many of the jobs are dangerous and/or short-term.

If you've lived in a small town (like an isolated small town where the town was IT), you begin to recognize a sense of hopelessness and disappointment that pervades everything. Coping skills are taxed a little harder. Causes people to lash out, abuse alcohol or drugs, and compound the problem.

Doesn't help that the local media isn't as conciliatory or balanced as one might find in bigger cities, or that the housing supply in Hobbs is horribly constrained, making long commutes necessary for some and expensive for most.

This isn't universal, and it definitely may not apply to others who read this; but this is part of why some people get so angry.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

thanks for your thoughtful answer. we found folks in Alamogordo to be pretty friendly and not especially aggressive drivers. we live near San Antonio, TX and the drivers here are very aggressive. we are retirees looking at relocating to the Alamo area.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM

390 posts, read 952,462 times
Zoid, very interesting and must say that this is the first time I have heard this. I live in Lincoln County and drive in the areas you mentioned and never experienced that. Sounds like you are describing Albuquerque?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,836,665 times
I can't decide.

S: I love White Sands, Las Cruces & Old Mesilla, The Organ Mountains, the hot springs in T or C, Elephant Butte Lake...

N: but also love Santa Fe, Taos, the Sangre de Cristos, Ojo Caliente, Abiquiu/Ghost Ranch....

and I have so much more to discover in both regions. That's why I choose Albuquerque and I can have the best of both Northern and Southern within a few hours. Sounds good to me.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Try snow birding within NM. Live in or around Taos in the summer and Las Cruces in the winter. Enjoy the best of both worlds.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM

120 posts, read 311,763 times
Default Happy Centenniel!

New Mexico is in the western hemisphere of our planet, on the northern continent, in the southwestern part of the United States of America, on the border with Mexico.

Northern NM and Southern NM are two different worlds, historically, culturally, and topographically. The Northern people are proud to be part of an old culture and history. The Southern people believe we're a well-kept secret.

There is evidence of humans existing here 25 thousand years ago. The "kingdom" of New Mexico was claimed by Spain in 1598. It was invaded by Texans in 1841 and raided by Mexican revolutionaries in 1916. It was annexed to the USA in 1846 but didn't reach stateLog Outhood until 1912. In fables and stories it's been called the Seven Cities of Gold, Tierra Adentro (Spanish for the interior land), New Mexico Territory, the Land of Enchantment, and "One Of Our 50 Is Missing."

Natives of New Mexico who call themselves “Spanish,” correctly or not, have been variously known as Conquistadors, early settlers, and "genizaros" (a Spanish word meaning converts thought to be avoiding the Spanish Inquisition). We've also been called "Manitos," short for 'manitos vendidos, a slur used in Mexico because they believe their brothers "sold out" during the Spanish-American War. Truth be known, our mitochondrial DNA would indicate we are related to the folks once called Indians.

New Mexico is blessed with rocky mountains, healing hot springs, fragrant forests, long lakes, bountiful skies, and year-round sunshine. It is home to ancient ruins, volcanic rocks, river gorges, two state languages, brilliant vistas, and delicious chile. The place names of our towns run the gamut, from saints and fruits to warriors and radio shows. Some of our most famous residents have been women (two brothel madams and a Hispanic governor). We've been visited by extraterrestrials, world class travelers, and spunky snowbirds. We heart New Mexico.

Happy Centenniel, New Mexico. Check us out, and ENJOY.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
You've also been visited by a lot of Texans, some of whom you could probably do without. Hopefully I'm not one of those.

I love northern NM, but the winters are a bit cold. The ideal solution is southern NM at high elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico