Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,755 times

Advertisements

Mortimer, I have no dog in this whole global warming fight so I will exit stage left and let you battle it out with the proponents of global warming. As far as Phoenix goes perhaps I should have been more specific, we are in the Sun Lakes-Chandler area and while this past summer was certainly a scorcher and more humid than last summer(possibly because we have had some nice rains this summer), last summer was definately hotter for us here. The reason is that last summer while areas like Surprise, Anthem, Scottsdale on down to the town of Queen creek recieved some really good rains that cooled things off for them, we recieved no rain at all where we are at. By the way our outside thermometer reads 120+ regularly and I fully realize that they are not reliable, but the weather station in nearby Chanlder is where I usually get my daytime highs for, and last summer 113-117 was the norm. When I saw you post your "official average temperatures chart" I was reminded of an old George Carlin line-Why would they take the temperature at the airport I don't know anyone who lives there? In any event no matter if you live in Scottsdale and its 109 degrees or Sun Lakes and its 114 degrees, the Phoenix area is hot as he__!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 21,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Don't know what year he was talking about... Looking at Ski Apache site as of April 2nd, 2007 it had 160" of natural snow. I don't ski so I didn't pay that much attention. I do know in Timberon we had lots and thats lower than the Mt. This thread can give you more info Ski Apache — Snapshot
Now the town is lower and on the south side of the Mt, so they may have not gotten as much.
Hi Chilegal! The town is what I was refering to, and my husbund remembers the conversation back in March, but says our neighbors nephew was refering to the winter before (05-06) as the winter that was tough on the ski resort. When I did a little Google research I found out that he was correct the winter of 2005-2006 is often referred to as the "no snow season" or the "dry winter" by the locals and it wasn't a very good ski season. Out of curiosity I called one of the golf courses in Ruidoso just to see if they really are open year round, and apparently the golf courses in town are indeed open year round, he said that even the Alto Lakes country club which I guess is at a slightly higher altitude than the town of Ruidoso is open year round. The gentleman in the golf shop I talked to said that on rare occasions when a big winter storm comes through, that you can't play for a day or two but under normal circumstances even when you get an overnight snow they just start teeing off a little later on in the morning. I had always pictured the town Ruidoso as covered in snow in the winter, but now that I know they play golf all winter long up there I think that I will definately have to check out Ruidoso while we are in Alamogordo this winter.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM

265 posts, read 873,537 times
Thanks to Wassana for the golf course info. Certainly is good to have that local information. I too plan to check out the Ruidoso/Capitan area during my upcoming visit.

Jim

Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassana Isabelle View Post
Hi Chilegal! The town is what I was refering to, and my husbund remembers the conversation back in March, but says our neighbors nephew was refering to the winter before (05-06) as the winter that was tough on the ski resort. When I did a little Google research I found out that he was correct the winter of 2005-2006 is often referred to as the "no snow season" or the "dry winter" by the locals and it wasn't a very good ski season. Out of curiosity I called one of the golf courses in Ruidoso just to see if they really are open year round, and apparently the golf courses in town are indeed open year round, he said that even the Alto Lakes country club which I guess is at a slightly higher altitude than the town of Ruidoso is open year round. The gentleman in the golf shop I talked to said that on rare occasions when a big winter storm comes through, that you can't play for a day or two but under normal circumstances even when you get an overnight snow they just start teeing off a little later on in the morning. I had always pictured the town Ruidoso as covered in snow in the winter, but now that I know they play golf all winter long up there I think that I will definately have to check out Ruidoso while we are in Alamogordo this winter.
Wassana Isabelle,
Don't know why I didn't realize he was talking about the year before last.. That was bad for the skiing.
Alamos golf course is open all year long also. We just got a new club house.
Cloudcroft and Timberon do close theirs during the winter.
Jane

Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Wassana Isabelle correctly stated:

> ... no matter if you live in Scottsdale and its 109 degrees or
> Sun Lakes and its 114 degrees, the Phoenix area is hot as he__!

That's why I left. No problems with Phoenix in general.
I have the same opinion about Houston where I spent
some time in August.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 PM

116 posts, read 429,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassana Isabelle View Post
The gentleman in the golf shop I talked to said that on rare occasions when a big winter storm comes through, that you can't play for a day or two but under normal circumstances even when you get an overnight snow they just start teeing off a little later on in the morning.
Snow isn't really a problem in Ruidoso except at night or on cloudy days after snow (rare). The snow won't stay long MOST of the time, and I can see a golf resort staying open year-round easily, with only a few days where it's bad. However, some days when it's cloudy it's going to be too cold to play golf, snow melt or no snow melt.

Ruidoso is pretty far south even though it's high in elevation.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 PM
DVJ

10 posts, read 35,271 times
Hello everyone,
Is there any snow in Ruidoso right now?
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVJ View Post
Hello everyone,
Is there any snow in Ruidoso right now?
Thanks.
I can see snow on the Mt, and here is the link to the ski cam [url]http://kvia.com/Global/link.asp?L=281552
I do not know if there is snow in town or not.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,839 times
I flew over Sierra Blanca a few days ago. It stood out nice and white-capped. Presently, there is no snow in the city (except for patches of white here and there in the shade), but the National Weather Service (NWS) is forecasting 2-4 inches of snow tonight and Saturday. You can check the daily (once per day) weather observations for Ruidoso on the Albuquerque NWS web page:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abq/products/rosa.php

and selecting Ruidoso. However, keep in mind, these reports are once per day by volunteer individuals and organizations. "SF" is snowfall, and "SD" is snow depth.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,839 times
Oh, I forgot to mention one other thing. Since this discussion focused a bit on the snowfall during the past two winters, according to the Western Region Climate Center records, the volunteer observer at Ruidoso measured 9 inches of snowfall during the winter of 2005-06 and 69 inches in 2006-07. The long-term average (this goes back to 1942 as the volunteer station was established in late 1941) is 38.7 inches per year. Once again, caution is advised as there is a bit of missing data. Nevertheless, the long-term average is somewhere near 40 inches at the volunteer stations (over the years, this has been a couple of houses, the police station, and the fire department). If detailed spatial records were available, I think we'd see long-term averages from 30-35 inches near Ruidoso Downs to 45-50 inches along the ridges around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico