Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times

Advertisements

I don't want to start a new thread, and since this one has been addressing what it's been like in Ruidoso weatherwise recently, this article in today's newspaper may be of interest to anyone contemplating living here:

http://www.ruidosonews.com/ruidoso-breaking_news/ci_19498665

The problem of broken water lines and subsequent loss of precious water supplies is not unique to Ruidoso, but because about 75 percent of the homes in the area are not occupied full time, it is a more serious problem than in towns where the population is more permanent.

Not sure what the village is ultimately going to be forced to do about this. They SAID they were going to enforce having each homeowner install their own shutoff valves (against the law to open meter cans). But that has, so far, proved to be more bark than bite. And getting homeowners to turn off the water when they leave town is virtually unenforceable - other than insisting they pay fully for water losses if and when their pipes do break. So far the village is prone to "forgive" large water bills caused by leaks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM

801 posts, read 2,214,542 times
Personally, if I had seasonal property anywhere, I would WANT to shut off the water when leaving the place for any extended period of time...winter or not. I came home to a surprise water leak many years ago...no interest in repeating that experience.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Ummhuh global warmin don't you know.
Actually, I made some plots of average temperatures for a few stations in the area, and there has been ~2F increase since 1970.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Strange just gets stranger!
I don't recall the day, but last week sometime I was getting ready for a bike ride and checked the local temperatures. It was nice here by late morning... but about 10 degrees colder in Carrizozo and 15 degrees colder in Alamogordo. So I changed my plans and stayed at a higher elevation.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Personally, if I had seasonal property anywhere, I would WANT to shut off the water when leaving the place for any extended period of time...winter or not.
I don't know how many of the absentee homeowners have this attitude, but one of my "sometimes neighbors" relies on her heating system to keep things from freezing up in winter. And last winter when it hit -27F they weren't in town. I shut off their water (after asking permission) but there was NO FLOW from any of their faucets. Luckily they didn't have any leaks.

But I suspect there are a lot of other part-time homeowners here who have the same attitude - the heat is on so why worry!

Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,414,073 times
Default Climate of Ruidoso,New Mexico.

I am thinking of moving to Ruidoso,New Mexico.I know its a ski town and at high elevation.How does the climate of Ruidoso compare to Denver and Colorado mountain towns especially in the winter?I have experienced Denver and Conifer,Colorado in the winter time and it did not feel too bad.I compared Denver and Ruidoso averages and it looks like Ruidoso is warmer.I would just like to see what the climate in Ruidoso feels like to real people throughout the year.I think stats only tell part of the story.Also, what are the spring,summer, and falls like there?Also,does it snow a lot compared to CO?Thanks.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:26 AM

Wow...had no idea that old thread dragged on over the several years that it did. Since it covers a period from 2007 through the end of 2011, it is pretty representative of what a similar thread would look like today. IOWs, the weather variations are not noticeably different now than they were then.

I have been personally familiar with Ruidoso weather since I was a kid - in the late 1930s. Ruidoso has been my family's "second home" since 1915. I can remember (I think!) when it was wetter year around and the snow was deeper. But we all know how unreliable memories can be!!

And to put my experiences in perspective, I've been living in the village of Ruidoso full time for exactly 20 years as of May 15 - having moved here in 1997. And loving every minute of it.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-24-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM

212 posts, read 372,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Wow...had no idea that old thread dragged on over the several years that it did. Since it covers a period from 2007 through the end of 2011, it is pretty representative of what a similar thread would look like today. IOWs, the weather variations are not noticeably different now than they were then.

I have been personally familiar with Ruidoso weather since I was a kid - in the late 1930s. Ruidoso has been my family's "second home" since 1915. I can remember (I think!) when it was wetter year around and the snow was deeper. But we all know how unreliable memories can be!!

And to put my experiences in perspective, I've been living in the village of Ruidoso full time for exactly 20 years as of May 15 - having moved here in 1997. And loving every minute of it.
Is there still snow on Sierra Blanca peak?

Old 05-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
Several very small patches on the highest, most northern, shaded side. Mother's Day here has traditionally been the date after which it's safest to plant tender bedding plants. IOWs, the last nightly freeze of the season. It was 38F at my house this morning.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
To answer the question graphically, I took this series of panoramic views today (May 15, 2017) which shows some of the remaining pockets of snow on the highest part of Sierra Blanca peak, as viewed from the NE side. See attached, below.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruidoso Weather-may15panorama2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico