Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:18 AM

48 posts, read 223,768 times

Advertisements

Check out Deming new mexico. low cost of living, affordible realestate/housing. in betweem silver city and las cruses. best of both worlds.up and coming area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 AM

48 posts, read 223,768 times
THE AIR strip mine dont thrill me .

Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Default What's An Air Strip Mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
THE AIR strip mine dont thrill me .
What is an air strip mine?

Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Unhappy Oooops... Safe or Not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by glieberman View Post
Okay, okay...maybe there are some things that could be better about Silver City, but it is still pretty nice in many other regards. Of course, you have ask what are you looking for (or as my English teacher would say "For what are you looking?").

See my post this topic... http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...html#post34522
My wife and I are serious about relocating as soon as she retires. We have been forum members for some time and have made notes on all the posts in New Mexico and other states including our own state of Arizona. We started to concentrate on Silver City, NM. The climate sounded nice and it is a small town located on the edge of "pine country." That is what we are looking for because a comparable climate area in Arizona is too expensive for us.

We were searching sites for reservations in hotels, motels or cabins. We were shocked to find out that the Silver City Econo Lodge claims that their hotel is safe because they do not rent to locals. They say that it is due to the drug trade. We have never encountered something like this before! What a statement to make. We are still going on a short trip to get a feel for the area but are staying outside of town! Does anyone who lives in Silver City care to comment? Econo Lodge is a chain operation as far as I know. Maybe I'll contact the main office. No matter what they say, this makes us a little "gun shy!"

Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Update on Econo Lodge

I sent an email to the Econo Lodge Chain to see what they say about this policy. I'll post it when I get it.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
azloafer,

While I can't address the Silver City area directly, this is not an unheard of practice in the hotel industry (especially in national chains). One aim may be to keep out those involved with the drug trade or other criminal elements, but my experience (I used to work the front desk at a Best Western back in the day) has been that they are also trying to keep out local people who are just looking for a place throw a party and trash the rooms.

Chap

Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM

436 posts, read 681,811 times
"In 2002 (the last year for which emissions data are available), more than two and a half million pounds of copper compounds and nearly half a million pounds of lead compounds were pumped into Grant County's atmosphere to be breathed in by residents of the Silver City area." Strip mining is a vital US industry, but it isn't a clean one - is it? This is one of the top reasons I decided not to relocate to SC. My health has been compromised too much (already) from living in environmentally toxic LA.

The forum poster's concern about narcotic abuse in any given place is less concern to me than the number of drunk drivers on the roads that kill/maim so many people. Drug abuse is everywhere - I've seen plenty (even in the Beverly Hills and Calabasas areas of Southern California) of that. It is pretty well recognized that there are higher rates of alcoholism/problem drinking occuring in rural areas due to boredom and lack of employment opportunity. I wouldn't like having my stuff stolen and fenced for a fix, but stuff is still only stuff, having my health and life ruined by an intoxicated driver is my concern.

All too often American attitudes are: Out of sight, out of mind".."It's not my problem".."If I can't see it, I'm not worrying about it".."If it doesn't affect me, what do I care?".."I have the f__ing r-i-g-h-t to do what I want"..etc. etc.

There is a huge disconnect in our country about environmental toxins and personal responsibility. I travel the country frequently, and the number of lumbering RV's, big trucks, ATV's (try limiting these people from national and state parks - good luck banning the use of small engine, highly polluting, noisy ATV's - it's got a strong national lobbying group of "it's all about me" people) in private ownership out on our roads is alarming, and the numbers are increasing all the time. The nonchalant use of pesticides and other chemicals on residential properties is epidemic. The amount of garbage produced per capita in the US is staggering (never mind the spattering of residential recycling bins). We are a society of people who want what we want, and anyone be damned if they question our self-centered needs. The majority seldom think of the collective, it's all about ones personal gratification.

It seems that (I wonder?) Europeans are more sensitive to environmental concerns, they speak with more more understanding about environmental issues that affect their lives. As the Executive Branch of our government says, "global warming concerns are based on bad/questionable science." Huh? Oh well, as they said about the Mideast adventure, "Mission accomplished."

It seems people in the US opitimize the philosophy of "Live for the moment", and "It's all about m-e." Is life better really? - we work too much, (spend less familial time with each other), we degrade our environment more than ever before, we risk our good health, and learn too late (if ever) that more "stuff" does not equate to more happiness.

Last edited by brian_2; 09-26-2006 at 12:23 PM..

Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM

Unhappy Pollution in Green Valley, AZ and the rest of the copper areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
"In 2002 (the last year for which emissions data are available), more than two and a half million pounds of copper compounds and nearly half a million pounds of lead compounds were pumped into Grant County's atmosphere to be breathed in by residents of the Silver City area."

This is one of the main reasons I decided not to relocate to SC. My health has been compromised too much (already) from living in environmentally toxic LA/NYC.

All too often American attitudes are: Out of sight, out of mind".."It's not my problem".."If I can't see it, I'm not worrying about it".."If it doesn't affect me, what do I care?".."I have the r-i-g-h-t to do what I want"..etc. etc.

There is a huge disconnect in our country about environmental toxins and personal responsibility. I travel the country frequently, and the number of lumbering RV's and large trucks in private ownership out on our roads is alarming, and the numbers are increasing all the time. The nonchalant use of pesticides and other chemicals on residential properties is epidemic. The amount of garbage produced per capita in the US is staggering (never mind the spattering of residential recycling bins). We are a society of people who want what we want, and anyone be damned if they question our self-centered needs. The majority seldom think of the collective, it's all about ones owm gratification.

I have noticed that (in general), Europeans are more sensitive to environmental concerns, and question the use of chemicals and unnecessarily polluting their atmosphere.

Stateside it's, "Live for the moment", and "It's all about m-e"

See my post regarding pollution under Green Valley, AZ

Old 10-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Never got an answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I sent an email to the Econo Lodge Chain to see what they say about this policy. I'll post it when I get it.
Never got a reply. Stayed elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Never got a reply. Stayed elsewhere.
Do you have a site-visit impression on SC to report, azloafer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico