Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 112,723 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm a new member to this board and found the thread on Silver. I had worked in Albq. in the 90's, and my folks moved to Santa Fe in the 80's. We were from Ca. originally (2nd gen) I lived many years in TX. We have 3 mo. left, wife retires, we live in MO. now.
That said, we came to the Silver area 4 yrs. ago to look for some land--we took a working vacation for 2 wks, and drove every dirt road, (paved also) that had more than 2 mailboxes on it.
The ONE thing in a nutshell I would like to say is this!!! The people are some of the friendliest people we have ever met!! period!! They are NOT clannish, like they are in so many other places--like, we don't like you cause your from TX.
We found our little piece of heaven--out in the (lower Membres valley) that is East of Silver! At the time there was a ranch selling acreage, we had to buy 35 acres minimum. We have 37+
We are NOT land developers, but blue collar type people; we want to generate some seed money so that we can build a retirement home. We have plus or minus 14 acres for sale. We are 26 miles E. of town @ about 5600' el.--water @ 200', power on property, phone, paved county road.
PM me for details, and I hope they don't ban me for this plug!!
Rocky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
B43

2 posts, read 7,089 times
Exclamation I know Silver City

My family has lived in Silver City for more than 6 years. Here is my take.....it is a beautiful place to live...many outdoor activities available...your are not judged for not being born here like you are in many NM towns. Parents are very involved with their children's activities. Youth sports are strong here.
Having older children as well as elementary age children, I have a pretty good perspective on youth experiences here. Drugs are a serious problem. Teen sexual activity is out of control. My children are non-hispanic...blue-eyed and blonde haired. A fact they have suffered for.
We have many "green party" as well as "hippies" that walk among us. Not to mention the large homeless population. Although it isn't a problem for my family, another fact about SC is the huge...and growing population of gays.
There are a number of people from California moving here which has driven up the price of homes.
Depending on what you are looking for and your attitude, this could be the best/worst place a person could live.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM

40 posts, read 157,038 times
I like that the seasons are very gentle and that it is still a smal town. I dislike that I don't know as many people when I walk into a crowded resaurant, as i used to.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM

29 posts, read 139,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguamarina4u View Post
Hi Everyone,

Could you please tell me what you like and dislike about Silver City. Hubby and I want to buy some land for retirement. We are looking at the Reno, NV area as well.

Thanks so much! :-)
Likes and dislikes.....

A reasonably gentle climate, (except for when it is 104 on my porch in May and sooooo humid I am swimming through air in this "high desert") Last Winter was the roughest in 25 years!
Most people appear to be reasonably kind.
There is a large cultural difference here with a Mexican population that is almost 80% in Grant county, a fringe liberal hippie element that is very present, a generations old pioneer/rancher family element that are a breed in of themselves. Somewhere in there one may have a chance at "fitting in".
Then we have the "disgusted with the pace and large city" people that have moved here starting in about 2000 from back east and cali, got there real estate liscenses and are buying and selling the area to other fed up with the pace people and in doing are creating the "pace" all over again (and charging an over inflated price for what one gets in an economy that DOES NOT have the economic base to support itself).
Soud like a place you want to retire to? Pick another town larger and more opportunites for recreation and warmth of reception. I have been here since 2001 and am working to extracate myself from the way out west and get to where I feel peole are more down to earth and real.
But, good luck and happy retirement to you. You are a lucky one!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B43 View Post
My family has lived in Silver City for more than 6 years. Here is my take.....it is a beautiful place to live...many outdoor activities available...your are not judged for not being born here like you are in many NM towns. Parents are very involved with their children's activities. Youth sports are strong here.
Having older children as well as elementary age children, I have a pretty good perspective on youth experiences here. Drugs are a serious problem. Teen sexual activity is out of control. My children are non-hispanic...blue-eyed and blonde haired. A fact they have suffered for.
We have many "green party" as well as "hippies" that walk among us. Not to mention the large homeless population. Although it isn't a problem for my family, another fact about SC is the huge...and growing population of gays.
There are a number of people from California moving here which has driven up the price of homes.
Depending on what you are looking for and your attitude, this could be the best/worst place a person could live.
I am soooo glad that someone who has lived here for a time has the courage to speak the ugly truths about the area. There are soem very real racial issues, ultra liberal spinning, complaining but not ever moving forward all the while thinking they are hippies and old timer family cliques...ugh!
I live in Gila and am looking forward to the day I leave the area. But, again, the weather is so darn nice! THAT is the draw for me being from Maine!
Thank you again for your candor and please do excuse my bad spelling!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
I disagree and found no situation where speaking Spanish was required during our week long visit. English is by far the first language.

Also, previous mention was made of the lack of air service in the area. The County airport near SC does offer twice daily flights to Albuquerque. I believe there was talk about changing the link to Phoenix in the near future. Strangely enough, similar service doesn't exist for the larger neighboring city, Las Cruces. Folks there have to drive to El Paso for air travel. Not far but it is in another state.

Grant county is 80% mexican.
No language barrier? Okay....whatever you say.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
2006 census estimates came out today. Grant County is less that 50% Hispanic.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
2006 census estimates came out today. Grant County is less that 50% Hispanic.
Figures are bogus. I have LIVED here since 2001 and know what I have experienced, census be darned...great that you researched the truth, right?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
There is a lot of opinion stated as fact on this board. This is a fact, I have rarely encountered a language problem from one end of the state to the other. 80% Mexican is an opinion . . . >50% may not be a fact, but has more statistics to back it up than your assertion.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Most Hispanics in New Mexico are not Mexican immigrants.

Many or most descend from families who have been here before
any settlement via US Westward expansion.

Many are bilingual, but many are not and only speak English.

as domino said:

> ... have rarely encountered a language problem ...

That goes for me too.

I *have* encountered racial friction, but always in English.

B43 mentioned:

> Depending on what you are looking for and your attitude, ...

That says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico